• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Banbury to Watford Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanburyBlue

Hi,

I need to go from Banbury to Watford Junction on Wednesday. I was assuming Banbury - London - Watford Junction, would be more sensible than Banbury - Coventry - Watford Junction?

I think the last time I did it, I went from Marylebone to Euston, but is there any reason I couldn't use the Bakerloo northbound and catch an Overground service from one of the interchange stations between Queens Park and Harrow and Wealdstone?

Anything I need to be aware of in terms of ticket choices etc.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BanburyBlue

As a supplementary question - with an off-peak day return, is there any reason I couldn't get a train to Wembley Stadium, then walk to Wembley Central and pick up the Overground from there?

Not sure if this works timetable wise yet, but I thought it may save the run into Marylebone?

Metroman62

As a supplementary question - with an off-peak day return, is there any reason I couldn't get a train to Wembley Stadium, then walk to Wembley Central and pick up the Overground from there?

Not sure if this works timetable wise yet, but I thought it may save the run into Marylebone?

The overground service to Watford Junction is roughly every 20 minutes and stop s all stations, so it can be a slow journey compared to a service from Euston which is fast or limited stop to Watford.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't see why either would be a problem.

BanburyBlue

Just done some checking. Travel times are fairly even if you travel from Marylebone using the Bakerloo, or go to Euston and catch a quick train from there.
However, assuming the walk from Wembley Stadium to Wembley Central is only 5-10 mins (looks quite close on the map), then you can get a significant time saving travelling using this method.

But wasn't sure if I would be allowed to use the Wembley Stadium to Wembley Central route - so thanks bb21.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You can use the Wembley walk as that is effectively stopping/starting short on your legs into and out of London respectively.

BanburyBlue

You can use the Wembley walk as that is effectively stopping/starting short on your legs into and out of London respectively.

Thanks. Certainly on the way there it makes things a lot easier. Can get the 07.50 direct from Banbury to Wembley Stadium - 10 min walk to Wembley Central, be in Watford Junction by 09.50.

njr001

If you choose to travel using the Overground for your last leg you may find Watford High Street more convenient rather than Watford Junction depending on your ultimate destination.

BanburyBlue

Thanks. I’ve checked the map and Watford Junction looks closer.

If I take the Bakerloo option, are some stations easier as Bakerloo to Overground interchange stations between Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone?

And any suggestions for good brekkie cafes near Watford Junction?

Status
Not open for further replies.