• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bangkok rail expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapper

Established Member
The Thai capital is busy building new additions to all its railways at the moment. As well as building a new suburban metre-gauge electric railway (Red route), the underground metro will venture above ground and eventually become a circle line, whilst the BTS skytrain is also seeing extensions.

It's impressive construction too. This gallery will feature pictures of much of the work;

http://paulbigland.zenfolio.com/p829859945

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Some great pictures. Never really travelled much on their railways when I was in Bangkok apart from the skytrain but its on my list when I go back next year. Whats the line like from the airport ?

great photos.

cle

Established Member
Some great pictures. Never really travelled much on their railways when I was in Bangkok apart from the skytrain but its on my list when I go back next year. Whats the line like from the airport ?

great photos.

It's cool - elevated the whole way alongside the main highway east so you get good views of the sprawl as you head towards the City. The Makkasan terminal is a bit odd (Thai transport is TERRIBLE for inter-modal connectivity - tickets incompatible, stations differently named) - big white elephant.

The Phaya Thai stop connects better with the BTS, but still a bit inconvenient. They're quite new to it all!

Clip

Established Member
ha ha.. I hope they get used to it by the time I go out there then :)

cle

Established Member
It's great - I miss the crazy Elephant Tower on the way to the old airport though! Google it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.