• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bangor - Thurso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
hello - I volunteered to look at tickets for a friend who needs to travel from Bangor to Thurso on a Saturday in May returning on the following Wednesday (not the BH week). She was quoted £175.80 for a return, but I managed to reduce it to £120.70 in my own way by the following:

Bangor - Crewe £10.50
Crewe - Perth £35.00
Perth - Inverness £25.10
Inverness - Thurso £12.40
Thurso - Glasgow £15.70
Glasgow - Bangor £22.00

The £175.80 fare is routed via Edinburgh, but via Glasgow is cheaper as far as I can make out, I have actually booked these tickets as she was very pleased with the cost saving. However, it is likely that she will be repeating this journey on a monthly basis for the next few months, dates unknown, but it would be Sat - Wed.
As far as I can see it is only possible leaving Bangor at 07h20 outward and Thurso 08h41 which give a reasonable arrival time for such a long trek.
I'd be grateful for any advice for the future journeys....ie have I managed to get the correct splits?...or is there something that I have missed?
Thanks to anyone in advance who is prepared to look at this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swirlz

Those tickets will not always be available as they are Advance fares from what I can tell. I expect in June/July/August, it will be difficult to get the cheapest advance tickets as lots of students will be going home for summer from Bangor.

The £175.80 fare is route "via Lancaster" and I presume would allow travel via either Edinburgh or Glasgow, possibly even both.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Hard to check this without knowing what dates you're talking about but £120.70 return doesn't sound unreasonable for the journey.

For Saturday 11th May I can find:

Bangor dep 0601 to Carlisle arr 0947 (ATW as far as Warrington Bank Quay, changing at Crewe. Virgin from Warrington to Carlisle): £25
Carlisle dep 0948 to Glasgow Central arr 1103 (continuing on the same Virgin train as before): £14.50
Time for a leisurely brunch in Glasgow
Glasgow Queen Street dep 1341 to Thurso arr 2139 (Scotrail changing at Perth and Inverness): £29.40

Total £68.90 (all fares advances, subject to availability and valid only on the booked trains)

Status
Not open for further replies.