• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bangor to Eastleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I hope to be travelling from Bangor to Eastleigh next Monday for a funeral, I think that the cheapest route for me is via Newport & Romsey - (I can get a Club 55 return to Newport).
My real question is, as I think that I have the route sorted, what would be the chances of achieving a four minute connection at Newport? The 06h02 from Bangor arrives Newport 09h40 and the Cardiff- Portsmouth departs 09h44. Assuming the WAG express is on time (perhaps a big if, I think it was late today), would it be a quick run over to another platform? - it would be really helpful if someone was able to tell me what are the usual platforms for these trains....should I miss the 09h44 I would then have an hours wait and it would be tight at the Eastleigh end but just about manageable, I think.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Not exactly a Cross Platform.

Today the WAG Express arrived in on Platform 2 albeit late. And the Portsmouth Left from 4. Usually the xx44 FGW leaves from Platform 4 as it arrives at xx42 and because the xx39 London has left platform three a mere 3mins earlier.

So it's a up the stairs across the bridge down the stairs run.

What time do you need to arrive in Eastleigh?

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Not exactly a Cross Platform.

Today the WAG Express arrived in on Platform 2 albeit late. And the Portsmouth Left from 4. Usually the xx44 FGW leaves from Platform 4 as it arrives at xx42 and because the xx39 London has left platform three a mere 3mins earlier.

So it's a up the stairs across the bridge down the stairs run.

What time do you need to arrive in Eastleigh?

The funeral is at 13h45 - and the Crem is just under 5 miles from Eastleigh, taxi from the station should be OK - the 10h44 from Newport arrives at 13h20, so I should just about do it, but I would prefer the earlier train if possible...does the Portsmouth always leave from 4?

sonic2009

Established Member
I've looked at OpenTrainTimes for next Monday 13th Feb. And it is booked from Platform 4, but of course this can change.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm guessing you were going to Purchase CLUB 55 Bangor - Newport and then a Return Newport to Eastleigh. Is this a day trip or Overnight? and do you hold a railcard. Looking at alternative plan from Newport :)

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I'm trying to do a there and back in one day - 15h50 from Eastleigh via Romsey and Newport gets me back to Bangor at 22h04, it's all a bit of a rush but I'd prefer not to do an overnight...
....forgot to add - no railcard, not old enough yet!
Well, it wasn't possible to make the four minute connection at Newport, I ws running down the steps towards platform four when I heard the Portsmouth train depart...it was always going to be tight and I think that the train from Bangor was a couple of minutes down anyway. The Guard had said that 'at least 5 mins should be allowed at Newport)
It was just as 'interesting' on the way back...I had a seven minute connection from the Portsmouth train, however we were delayed entering Bath Spa by a FGW train from London and left seven minutes late, recovering only about two minutes by the time we got to Newport. There were about 8-10 people racing across from platform 2 to platform four (for the 'WAG2' - which had already arrived) ..the surly guard had already closed the doors and reluctantly opened them with a 'you should have got here earlier!' comment...well, we would have if we could!

Status
Not open for further replies.