• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bank Holiday Moan-athon

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Part of this issue is caused by the UK not having a distinction between IC and commuter. Compulsory reservations do sort of work on IC but regional/commuter makes sense as 100% walk up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Aren't some trains a mix of IC and local? Thinking XC here.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I thought we had the trains, but they were rusting in sidings due to the ridiculous way in which the industry was privatised, or is that situation out-of-date?

where can I find these rusting vehicles? Can you show me please? I will buy them and get them overhauled and rent them out.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aren't some trains a mix of IC and local? Thinking XC here.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Could TPE be also viewed in the same light?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Where can I find these rusting vehicles? Can you show me please? I will buy them and get them overhauled and rent them out.

Only if Adrian Shooter does not get there before you..:D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given that the EU has harmonised train driving licence requirements, signalling on new lines etc, how long do you think it will be before trains travelling over a certain speed (150kph?) will not be able to take standing passengers?

Given that Germany operates proper high speed trains with standees, probably never.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think that was Neil's point.

Yes, precisely. There is some merit in compulsory reservations but it is unworkable unless IC trains do not carry local passengers. In the UK that is at best blurred - to the French, for example, we just have a network of regional trains, no IC.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In reality we'll never separate IC from Regional. We don't have the line capacity for that.

Take the 0616 departure from Euston to Manchester. Clearly an IC train. Carries a fair bit of fresh air upon deprture.

But - it calls at Stoke on Trent at 0745 and Macclesfield at 0802 before arriving at Piccadilly at 0828. Standing room only after leaving Macclesfield. Now is it an IC or Regional train?

We could ban this train from picking up at Stoke and Macclesfield but there probably aren't any spare paths to run additional services between Stoke and Manchester.

That is the problem.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
ATW rustled up unit/s this evening at short notice to run ECS to Barry Island as STP returning with loads of day trippers due overcrowding. It then went back to the Island for another lot.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
where can I find these rusting vehicles? Can you show me please? I will buy them and get them overhauled and rent them out.

I have no idea if they still exist - the sight of all those trains built for the through services from the North to Paris etc via the Channel Tunnel was a familiar one for many years on the approach to Paddington and I read many reports both in railway magazines and business sections of newspapers of the other carriages that were lying around uselessly because the leasing companies wanted too much money for them. If that situation no longer exists, great, but don't pretend it never happened1

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have no idea if they still exist - the sight of all those trains built for the through services from the North to Paris etc via the Channel Tunnel was a familiar one for many years on the approach to Paddington and I read many reports both in railway magazines and business sections of newspapers of the other carriages that were lying around uselessly because the leasing companies wanted too much money for them. If that situation no longer exists, great, but don't pretend it never happened1

.....nor also the very long stabling shed built for those units opposite to the Longsight MPD with its large wall-mounted sign for all passing train passengers to see that stated...."Le Eurostar habite ici"...<(

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Nightstick went to Canada. A job lot including unfitted shells which they used as baggage vans and spares stock.

Train procurement is so tight these days as soon as a train is available it get puts into service. Stock shortages on TPE and Scotrail partly caused as a result of a lease expiring and procured by another franchise as uncertainty in those franchises meant commercially there were trains availailable and these have gone to Chiltern and southern respectively. Any speculative fleets that ha e previously built were also snapped up as soon as they were built. There isn't enough capacity in the network now, let alone for any spares sitting in sidings.

83G/84D

Established Member
The 1006 Paddington to Penzance and 1206 Paddington to Penzance were both full and standing at Reading yesterday. I was standing along with many others on the latter from Reading until I found an empty seat when the train was at Totnes.

berneyarms

Established Member
In reality we'll never separate IC from Regional. We don't have the line capacity for that.

Take the 0616 departure from Euston to Manchester. Clearly an IC train. Carries a fair bit of fresh air upon deprture.

But - it calls at Stoke on Trent at 0745 and Macclesfield at 0802 before arriving at Piccadilly at 0828. Standing room only after leaving Macclesfield. Now is it an IC or Regional train?

We could ban this train from picking up at Stoke and Macclesfield but there probably aren't any spare paths to run additional services between Stoke and Manchester.

That is the problem.

At peak times you are inevitably going to have some trains that double up both functions, IC and Regional/Commuter. That's good use of the rolling stock!

misterredmist

I was at Berwick-u-T station for the 0913 to LKX on Saturday when it was announced as canx. I psyched myself up then for the overcrowded pandemonium that was to follow. Found a decent seat in coach A, all fairly civilised, but when I went to the Buffet Car, one had to step over a lot of people sat in vestibules etc.

So I was lucky, my journey was fine, but I do , and have always accepted that travelling at certain times of the year on the railways will not always be the pleasure it normally is.

Markdvdman

There are not many 2 Car ATW Pacers running about as most of the Diagrams are doubled up. Single 150s , yes. Vary often, and on other weekends if the weather is fine, ATW try and rustle a 4 Car Pacer Combo as a Standby to run to Barry Island.

Well, this week alone the 6:38am first train from Merthyr has seen a 2 car pacer and has been HELL for passengers into Cardiff. Also, ALWAYS late as inadequate. Had a 2 car pacer home yesterday too which was also LATE as.

Trust me I get them at least 20% of the time and the people that cannot get into Cardiff on that train and people moaning are livid with the ludicrous 2 car pacers at peak times!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Well, this week alone the 6:38am first train from Merthyr has seen a 2 car pacer and has been HELL for passengers into Cardiff. Also, ALWAYS late as inadequate. Had a 2 car pacer home yesterday too which was also LATE as.

Trust me I get them at least 20% of the time and the people that cannot get into Cardiff on that train and people moaning are livid with the ludicrous 2 car pacers at peak times!

To interpret my post, the Pacer jobs are SUPPOSED to be working in pairs.
This can be different in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.