• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Banksy on the tube July 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53407715
Banksy has returned to the London Underground with a piece encouraging people to wear a face mask.

A video posted on his Instagram page shows a man, believed to be the enigmatic artist, disguised as a professional cleaner.

He can been seen ordering passengers away as he gets to work, stencilling rats around the inside of a carriage.
Headline "New Coronavirus Inspired Artwork appears on Tube".

This is just vandalism, isn't it? Why are the BBC lauding it?

Peter C

Established Member
I think some of his work looks quite nice, but this doesn't. It's probably a combination of some not-nice-looking (in my opinion) artwork and the fact he's defaced a train to do it!

-Peter

WatcherZero

Established Member
It sets a dangerous precedent and could encourage copycats, if we are not careful we end up with the rolling stock of New York city at the end of the last century. Though I am wondering if he had some official co-operation as far example the bit where theres a message on the wall and the doors close to see another message on the door would have taken longer to to set up than your average station call.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Normally I'm a fan of his stuff so I'm wiling to turn a blind eye to the fact that some of it is perhaps less than legal but have to say that this is not impressive.

Bevan Price

Established Member
It is criminal damage. Whoever did it should be prosecuted - infamous or otherwise - and then made to remove the mess.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It happened four days ago. Photographed and cleaned off as per standard procedure.. now banksy has come forward and identified himself as being behind the artwork. London underground have burned the CCTV off the carriage and are in the process of handing the footage to the BTP

PeterC

Established Member
What annoys me is that when somebody puts one of their tags over his graffiti it is called "valdalism" rather than regarded as a valid artistic comment.

Either its all art or all vandalism

MB162435

Established Member
This one doesn't look good at all looks like it was just vandalised at night or something, which I'm afraid it might unintentionally encourage, I expect he done it with good intentions, but it's not helping his or street artists reputations by basically graffiting a tube train

I'm no lover of street art but Banksy's work does normally look quite impressive, like the one I believe he done of Santa and his Raindeers in Birmingham that was featured on ITV's Trouble on the Tracks which looked amazing, and locals were rightly protective of

Jonny

Established Member
It would not surprise me in the least if someone (maybe even management) at TfL was in on the stunt!

furlong

Established Member
BTP / LUL are usually very sharp on incidents like this - I expect nothing less than a prosecution and whoever did it is no doubt ready for that. If anyone on the inside was involved - however senior - then expect to see them out of a job and in front of the courts too.

duncanp

Established Member
I don't know if it's just me, but people like Banksy really p*** me off.

Who the hell does he think he is, spray painting his so called "artwork" on to private property (such as the inside of a London Underground train carriage), leaving it for someone else to clean off.

Some people may see graffiti as "street art", but it should only happen where the owner of a property has given permission for their wall etc. to be used in this way.

I hope "Banksy" is prosecuted, fined and banned from using the London Underground ever again.

John Hunt

I don't know if it's just me, but people like Banksy really p*** me off.

Who the hell does he think he is, spray painting his so called "artwork" on to private property (such as the inside of a London Underground train carriage), leaving it for someone else to clean off.

Some people may see graffiti as "street art", but it should only happen where the owner of a property has given permission for their wall etc. to be used in this way.

I hope "Banksy" is prosecuted, fined and banned from using the London Underground ever again.

I totally agree, with one extra condition - that 'Pest Control' (a website/office that authenticates works that are indeed by Banksy, so collectors and would-be collectors don’t become the victims of fraud) is thoroughly investigated as a possible 'accomplice' to his actions.

Belperpete

Established Member
If TfL had their wits about them, they would replace the graffitied panels, and auction them off. Could make a significant sum. Although these don't look particularly impressive.

But totally agree that it is just graffiti, like any other. Unfortunately actions like that of Railtrack in Birmingham of protecting it, only legitimises it. If they had wiped it off, it would have sent a strong message that graffiti is unacceptable. Instead they chose to give the message that if you're good enough, go ahead.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If TfL had their wits about them, they would replace the graffitied panels, and auction them off. Could make a significant sum. Although these don't look particularly impressive.

But totally agree that it is just graffiti, like any other. Unfortunately actions like that of Railtrack in Birmingham of protecting it, only legitimises it. If they had wiped it off, it would have sent a strong message that graffiti is unacceptable. Instead they chose to give the message that if you're good enough, go ahead.
Too late, as posted by another contributor above, and also as shown in the BBC news article linked; the train was cleaned in the depot a couple of days ago.

Vespa

Established Member
Right message, wrong place he is obviously pushing to see how far he can go.

Tube trains is not the place for pushing a message..

rebmcr

Established Member

However right you are, responses like this are part of his art, and by design unlikely to ever be disentangled.

Ladder23

Established Member
Graffiti artists will be slammed with negativity and when caught given hefty sentences yet this banksy does the same thing on a tube train and people love it, it’s unfair. How can this guy be praised is beyond me.

A lot of stuff I see on my travels is very impressive, I ain’t saying I agree, that’s a whole new debate.. but this baffles me.

Ladder23

Established Member

Exactly! I agree..

I imagine this will possibly trigger a increase in graffiti on the network.

philthetube

Established Member

Tube trains are the right place for this message, just not pushed in this form.

Status
Not open for further replies.