• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bardic Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

rloadesGCR

Hi everyone!

I am contemplating converting a bardic lamp to LED, to make it brighter, and am trying to find the cheapest way to do it, ( i am after all a student, and poor)

would this maglite conversion work,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MiniStar5-Upgrade-Maglite-Cell-Lumens/dp/B001I9TI4Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

or would i have to build my own system, which wouldn't be an issue being an electronics student.

I just want a brighter more efficient lamp, without buying a Super LED bardic, and keeping the look of the original, being quite simple and frankly bombproof. (no i haven't tired it)

If I complete this, a friend as asked if i would convert a BR(m) tail lamp to LED, because unfortunately, the paraffin insides get pinched, and he wants to keep all of his lamp insides.

rloades

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
I can't recall exactly what bulb a Bardic uses; if you can find an LED bulb that's a direct replacement that would be the simplest.

There's a company that produces a simple conversion kit to use three 'C' cells as the battery in place of the original special battery; I can find out the details if you would like them.

Re converting a tail lamp - have a look at
http://www.signalbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3781
which discusses doing something similar with semaphore signal lamps and which you may find of use.

PFX

As you say you're after the cheapest way to do this, get on e-bay and search for 21st Century Bardic 3 colour lamp. The seller is tmvotr.

Costs £9.99 + £4 postage. Probably far less hassle than doing a conversion although it isn't going to look the same obviously. I have one and it's well made with a sturdy metal case and belt pouch. Sorry I can't post the link right now.

Cyberbeagle

Flamingo

Established Member
I know the Bardic bulb is the same size as a Maglite bulb, as I have replaced a Bardic bulb with a Maglite "30% Brighter" bulb. A few years ago I think I tried the Maglite LED replacement in a Bardic and it wouldn't fit, though.

can you let me know if you get it working, I'd be interested.

The HALO lamps are not all LED, only the RED/GREEN bit, the white light is an ordinary bulb. Iff anybody figures out an LED replacement for that, let me know!

rloadesGCR

I've received the lamp! :D

unfortunately, The lamp is faulty :( , so i can't say anything about the performance of it or if the thing is actually viable.

As before, i'll keep you posted...

rloadesGCR

Sorry about the slight gap between updates..

I have ordered a different lamp, and it WORKS!

I now have an LED Bardic Lamp.

Here's where I ordered it from. He has a fabulous customer service, and was more than happy to help!

http://www.reflectalite.com/

I ordered the NL321, which keeps the beam shape of the filament lamp.

Cyberbeagle

Sorry about the slight gap between updates..

I have ordered a different lamp, and it WORKS!

I now have an LED Bardic Lamp.

Here's where I ordered it from. He has a fabulous customer service, and was more than happy to help!

http://www.reflectalite.com/

I ordered the NL321, which keeps the beam shape of the filament lamp.

Looks like it's out of stock already!!

What was the price?

rloadesGCR

I emailed the guy,and he had 4 left, but they might have gone.

"Thank you for your message. It is an interesting application, and I think you have picked the right bulb.
There are more NL321 now made at the factory and they are at the testing stage, so I think they will be here quite soon in under 2 weeks. Nicelite is at an experimental level to find out which ones have a market and develop new ones from the feedback. NL321 has proved to be more popular than expected. Would you like to pre-order an NL321, as there are not many coming in the next production batch? We will adjust the quantity in future production."

Including postage, it cost £11.45. :D :D :D

broadgage

Hello, new member here.

I have several bardic lamps that I have converted to LED operation.
All that is needed is a good qaulity LED torch bulb, with a standard PR (prefocus) base.
A multi voltage one is best, several makes will work on from 2 cells up 6 cells.

Avoid conversion LED lamps that are specific to Maglites, some ONLY fit Maglites. Buy a universal PR base LED bulb that the supplier warents for any standard torch/flashlight.

Almost all of these will only work with the positive connected to the center contact. You may need to alter the polarity of your lamp if this is not the case. (I think polarity was pot luck when the bardic lamps were made, as it does not matter with an incandescent bulb)
If the polarity is wrong, then carefully un-solder the wires where they go into the plug, and re solder the other way around.

I could post a link to an ebay supplier, but am a bit wary of putting links into my first post lest it be considered advertising.

Hi everyone!

I am contemplating converting a bardic lamp to LED, to make it brighter, and am trying to find the cheapest way to do it, ( i am after all a student, and poor)

would this maglite conversion work,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MiniStar5-Upgrade-Maglite-Cell-Lumens/dp/B001I9TI4Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

or would i have to build my own system, which wouldn't be an issue being an electronics student.

I just want a brighter more efficient lamp, without buying a Super LED bardic, and keeping the look of the original, being quite simple and frankly bombproof. (no i haven't tired it)

If I complete this, a friend as asked if i would convert a BR(m) tail lamp to LED, because unfortunately, the paraffin insides get pinched, and he wants to keep all of his lamp insides.

rloades
That bulb is for maglites only the cylindrical part of the bulb is a bigger diameter than the type of bulb you remove.

Something like this or similar from this site will fit.

I have got bulbs from this place for all my torches. All LED bulbs are a specific polarity at the tip if you e-mail after you order the company will ensure you get the right bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.