• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The future of Barlaston / Norton Bridge / Wedgwood railway stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Visited this morning and can confirm a small width to walk across marked by a white line. Once you get the part where the bridge crosses the railway, there is a section on the opposite side that is safer. There is room on the station side of the bridge to make it safe with barriers, concrete path, etc but who's gonna pay? If not for the one guy that uses this service every morning, I don't think anyone would miss this station.

Caught the Arriva 785 in to Tamworth, which being school summer holiday was very lightly loaded all the way to Tamworth. Goes up a crazy step hill and around the houses.

4 people per train on average. Would likely increase if a better service was provided.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazr

4 people per train on average. Would likely increase if a better service was provided.

I'm not sure where they are getting that number from. It was just one today, and it was certainly one when Geoff visited with Least Used Station in Warwickshire (for 2015-2016). Someone could be buying Atherstone-Polesworth or Polesworth-Tamworth singles and not using them? My ticket today inflated the number by 1 this year, although it nearly backfired as it literally just stopped raining when the train arrived this morning, else I was going to bail on stopping and pay the extra to go to Tamworth; something that was the same advanced price when I purchased the ticket.

Last edited:

Esker-pades

Established Member
I'm not sure where they are getting that number from. It was just one today, and it was certainly one when Geoff visited with Least Used Station in Warwickshire (for 2015-2016). Someone could be buying Atherstone-Polesworth or Polesworth-Tamworth singles and not using them? My ticket today inflated the number by 1 this year, although it nearly backfired as it literally just stopped raining when the train arrived this morning, else I was going to bale on stopping and pay the extra to go to Tamworth; something the was the same advanced price when I purchased the ticket.

Patronage last year was 1,270. Polesworth only gets 1 train from Monday to Saturday. That's 313 trains per year. 1270/313 gives 4.05750799...., which is, on average, 4 passengers per train.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
There’s just the one regular. The rest are mainly those doing it for the unusual nature of the station, or buying tickets and not travelling. Never seen more than 1 get on. Think it probably shows how the station useage figures are flawed!

Patronage last year was 1,270. Polesworth only gets 1 train from Monday to Saturday. That's 313 trains per year. 1270/313 gives 4.05750799...., which is, on average, 4 passengers per train.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
if you were to turn up at Barleston to start a journey, what would you do about a ticket?

At the present time, if making a journey beyond the confines of the RRB (I.e. beyond Stafford or Stoke) you are best getting the ticket in advance to start the journey at Barlaston. If you don’t, you are required to purchase a bus ticket to Stoke/Stone/Stafford and a train ticket there for onward travel.
There is no arrangement to refund the bus ticket. I guess you could try sending it to Customer Services and see what they say!

pdeaves

Established Member

DenmarkRail

Afternoon everyone - the full article from my conversation with LNWR press is now visible on my website (officialgmoore.info). If you can’t be bothered to read (which I don’t blame you!) the main gist is:

-it’s coming soon but not yet... wait until 2020.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
-it’s coming soon but not yet... wait until 2020.
Jam tomorrow.

Always tomorrow.

Tomorrow never comes.

Hourly Sunday stopping trains Stoke-on-Trent to Manchester when?
Improved evening service Crewe to Derby when? Oh wow, one whole extra service, within existing operational parameters no doubt at 2007.
All day Sunday service Crewe to Derby when?
An hourly stopping service Birmingham via Stafford to Stoke-on-Trent without a huge evening gap when?

Private sector initiative providing a better service, dontcha love it!

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Most of those are to do with EMT rather than the LNWR franchise. But bearing in mind the service level we had to endure under BR, North Staffordshire has seen massive improvements with the private sector. More improvements needed, of course, but just see how far we have come.

paddyb6

Are any of the stations (Norton Brg, Wedgwood, Barlaston) still accessible to train spot at?
Thanks ;)

paddyb6

The platforms themselves are fenced off.

Yeah, I know but I just fancied visiting
For Wedgwood I looked on Google and found nowhere to park and I was wondering if there was any info on where to park for Wedgwood.
Thanks

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Are any of the stations (Norton Brg, Wedgwood, Barlaston) still accessible to train spot at?
Thanks ;)

Small Station car park at Barlaston. You can street park at Wedgwood, particularly if you are not stopping long. Norton Bridge station car park accessible, but you can't see trains very well due to the fencing and bushes.

All platforms at all three fenced off and no access. But there are level crossings at Wedgwood and Barlaston, there's also a public footpath behind the platform at Wedgwood to the other end of the platform. The footpath is lower than the platform though, but you can see under it!

paddyb6

Small Station car park at Barlaston. You can street park at Wedgwood, particularly if you are not stopping long. Norton Bridge station car park accessible, but you can't see trains very well due to the fencing and bushes.

All platforms at all three fenced off and no access. But there are level crossings at Wedgwood and Barlaston, there's also a public footpath behind the platform at Wedgwood to the other end of the platform. The footpath is lower than the platform though, but you can see under it!

Thanks for this! Is there any other information you have on good spotting areas at the three stations?

Thanks

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for this! Is there any other information you have on good spotting areas at the three stations?

Thanks

Heamies Farm is quite a popular place for people wanting to take photos and videos. It is just north of Norton Bridge I think although if you are purely wanting to log numbers you might as well just head to Stafford as everything that passes here will either pass or call at Stafford anyway.

Found this link with more information

http://www.trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number=529

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Thanks for this! Is there any other information you have on good spotting areas at the three stations? Thanks

Alas, there were several suicides at the locations, so hanging around by the railway there does create an interest! CCTV cameras have been installed and the whole area is monitored. The good news, it has reduced the suicide rate, the bad news it is difficult to "spot" without attracting attention!But the canal between Wedgwood and Barlaston is pleasant enough and you can see the trains. You can "spot" from the level crossings at Wedgwood and Barlaston, but not ideal. Other than being at these locations, they offer nothing over Stafford, indeed I'd say Stafford is better!

By all means have a drive round and view the locations, but then pop to Stafford to "Spot" you can park for free (check duration!) at the nearby Tesco. The station car park at Wedgwood is now blocked off and unused. The car park at Barlaston can be used, but has a less good view of the trains-by which I mean no view of the trains-But there is the "Plume Of Feathers" pub/diner. Owned by local boy Neil Morrisey, our local celebrity! For a spot of lunch.

Everything passing Wedwood/Barlaston passes Stafford anyway, plus the Crewe trains serve Stafford too, the only things missing are the SOT-EUS Virgin services.

Remember, with the new "bypass" SOT trains no longer pass Norton Bridge "station".

The other option is Stone. Platforms are accessible there, you wont, of course, see the Crewe (well the Crewe-Euston LNR trains you will, but you know what I mean) trains, but you will see the SOT-EUS and Wedwood/Barlaston trains, and not an unpleasant location. there is parking at Stone station too, but a little walk from the town centre is the only downside.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Alas, there were several suicides at the locations, so hanging around by the railway there does create an interest! CCTV cameras have been installed and the whole area is monitored. The good news, it has reduced the suicide rate, the bad news it is difficult to "spot" without attracting attention!But the canal between Wedgwood and Barlaston is pleasant enough and you can see the trains. You can "spot" from the level crossings at Wedgwood and Barlaston, but not ideal. Other than being at these locations, they offer nothing over Stafford, indeed I'd say Stafford is better!

By all means have a drive round and view the locations, but then pop to Stafford to "Spot" you can park for free (check duration!) at the nearby Tesco. The station car park at Wedgwood is now blocked off and unused. The car park at Barlaston can be used, but has a less good view of the trains-by which I mean no view of the trains-But there is the "Plume Of Feathers" pub/diner. Owned by local boy Neil Morrisey, our local celebrity! For a spot of lunch.

Everything passing Wedwood/Barlaston passes Stafford anyway, plus the Crewe trains serve Stafford too, the only things missing are the SOT-EUS Virgin services.

Remember, with the new "bypass" SOT trains no longer pass Norton Bridge "station".

The other option is Stone. Platforms are accessible there, you wont, of course, see the Crewe (well the Crewe-Euston LNR trains you will, but you know what I mean) trains, but you will see the SOT-EUS and Wedwood/Barlaston trains, and not an unpleasant location. there is parking at Stone station too, but a little walk from the town centre is the only downside.
It's also quite possible to park for free in the short-stay car park in front of Stafford station; whilst in theory it is 20 minutes maximum this is never enforced. Obviously someone taking the proverbial might be in trouble but I have never seen it happen. Alternatively there is parking (I believe free) available just down the North side of the station, next to the Mercedes dealership.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's also quite possible to park for free in the short-stay car park in front of Stafford station; whilst in theory it is 20 minutes maximum this is never enforced.

Please don't do that; the effect of people doing so will be that it will be enforced, and people who take 21 minutes in a long ticket office queue will end up with fines.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Please don't do that; the effect of people doing so will be that it will be enforced, and people who take 21 minutes in a long ticket office queue will end up with fines.
There are plenty of contractors and trainspotters etc. who parked there all day long. I would see them when I left in the morning and they would still be there that evening. Anyway, if you are concerned about parking there, there is plenty of parking available in the road along the northern/eastern edge of the station, or alternatively there is free on-road parking a short walk away in the Highfields estate (many commuters do this).

Batman

Does anyone know why Norton Bridge has still been included in the timetable booklet for the new London North Western timetable when the station officially closed in December last year and the funding for the bus service runs out in March 2019 (during the lifetime of the new timetable)?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Does anyone know why Norton Bridge has still been included in the timetable booklet for the new London North Western timetable when the station officially closed in December last year and the funding for the bus service runs out in March 2019 (during the lifetime of the new timetable)?

Well, it ought to be included if it still runs, if only until March with an appropriate footnote. Are rail tickets are still being sold to Norton Bridge?

It does feature this footnote though:
Service 13/13A: Times may be subject to alteration from Monday 16th October. Online journey planners generally provide the most up-to-date information. Please check before you travel.
Use of the word 'generally' does not inspire my confidence, nor does a date two months prior to the introduction of the leaflet!

You know what, I don't think LNWR care much for this end of the route.

I note that none of the intermediate points (not stations as the bus doesn't go to two of the stations) are shown on the route diagram. Just Stafford and Stoke. Then I notice that none of the diagrams show all stations served.

I would also ask why the bus times are shown separately to the rail times on the route they replace ie Crewe to Stafford via Stoke, extended to the Trent Valley and London. Showing how the buses connect into trains might encourage their use as part of a rail journey! The 14 bus is on the monitors at Stoke Station and the 13 used to be shown at Stafford. I would find that more useful than the showing of Virgin Trains in the timetable.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Use of the word 'generally' does not inspire my confidence, nor does a date two months prior to the introduction of the leaflet!

it is an advisory note telling the user to check if more up to date information is available on line. it isnt something to get worked up about.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well, it ought to be included if it still runs, if only until March with an appropriate footnote. Are rail tickets are still being sold to Norton Bridge?

It does feature this footnote though:

You know what, I don't think LNWR care much for this end of the route.

I note that none of the intermediate points (not stations as the bus doesn't go to two of the stations) are shown on the route diagram. Just Stafford and Stoke. Then I notice that none of the diagrams show all stations served.

I would also ask why the bus times are shown separately to the rail times on the route they replace ie Crewe to Stafford via Stoke, extended to the Trent Valley and London. Showing how the buses connect into trains might encourage their use as part of a rail journey! The 14 bus is on the monitors at Stoke Station and the 13 used to be shown at Stafford. I would find that more useful than the showing of Virgin Trains in the timetable.
Perhaps they sontdwant to encourage bus patronage.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Surely this must beg the question; is this station actually closed?
Station closed 10 Dec 2017, as discussed a few pages ago in this thread
In October 2017, the ORR completed the ratification process. It is content for the closure of Norton Bridge station to go ahead. The ratification notice dated 26 October 2017, is available to view on the ORRwebsite.
The closure of Norton Bridge station will take effect on 10 December 2017.
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/norton-bridge-station-closure
The bus link seems to be a separate matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.