• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The future of Barlaston / Norton Bridge / Wedgwood railway stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest that the station is technically open until the funding ends in March 2019. The buses still run to franchise requirements until then and Norton Bridge will still show in timetables and journey planners until then.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I would suggest that the station is technically open until the funding ends in March 2019. The buses still run to franchise requirements until then and Norton Bridge will still show in timetables and journey planners until then.

I would consider it a bus link from the closure date until then.

There are plenty of examples of integrated ticketing and timetables being available to locations which have long since had closure notices served.

It seems you're correct, the official closure takes place on 10/12/17 according to gov.uk , part of the reason for continuing to fund the bus is to allow Staffs County Council to see if the bus service is viable for them to fund alone

hawk1911

Staffordshire County Council has, today, announced the outcome of a major bus review/consultation.

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/transport/publictransport/buses/Bus-review/Options/The-options.aspx
Following an eight week consultation which asked for people's views on four different options, the county council's Cabinet has now decided that 'Option 1' will be implemented from April 2018.

What happens to those journeys that will not be subsidised by the county council anymore?

Any changes to bus timetables will be implemented by bus operators from April 2018. The county council is not able to confirm changes to specific routes which will no longer be subsidised at this stage. Details of any changes will be finalised and published by bus operators once they are known.

What is interesting is that all four of the options, consulted on, proposed ceasing the Norton Bridge service.

It was only after I pointed out that the DfT had committed to supporting the service for two more years that they indicated they may tweak the options to maintain a Norton Bridge service. The final announcement includes a map which does indeed show a service being maintained through Norton Bridge (at least for the time being).

The point I'm getting to is that so often in the past, a viable alternative bus service has been used to justify line and station closures, and it seems that even though there are relatively few closures these days, just like with past closures, the alternative transport can soon disappear as well.

Staffs county council review does not have the 14 group of services in review. They are cutting a lot of services, but the 14 group of services will continue to run to rail franchise commitments and is jointly funded by the council and London Midland (and successor) until March 2019. Only then will they consider funding; and this was part of the theory when they decided to close Norton Bridge.

hawk1911

Staffs county council review does not have the 14 group of services in review. They are cutting a lot of services, but the 14 group of services will continue to run to rail franchise commitments and is jointly funded by the council and London Midland (and successor) until March 2019. Only then will they consider funding; and this was part of the theory when they decided to close Norton Bridge.

That maybe what the DfT imagined, but the Staffordshire County Council consultation proposed otherwise, hence my intervention.

The Council review did indeed have the 14 group of services (which serve Barlaston and Wedgwood) in review. The 13 group of services (along with the 14B Bank Holiday Monday service), which serves Norton Bridge, were all to be axed under all four options.

Have a look at the Cabinet papers: http://moderngov.staffordshire.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=123&MId=7812

Appendix B shows the consultation options, which, on pages 8 and 9 states:
x = No longer subsidised √ = Continue to be subsidised

Service No. Operator Route Description Potential Result under Option... 1 2 3 4

13 D & G BUS LTD Stone – Norton Bridge – Seighford – Stafford x x x x
13A
D & G BUS LTD Stone – Yarnfield – Swynnerton – Eccleshall - Norton Bridge – Stafford x x x x
D & G BUS LTD Barlaston - Stone - Eccleshall - Stafford √ √ √ x
14A
D & G BUS LTD Barlaston - Stone - Eccleshall √ √ √ x
14B
D & G BUS LTD Barlaston - Stone - Eccleshall - Norton Bridge - Stafford x x x x

The original consultation clearly proposed ceasing all Norton Bridge services (13/13A/14B).

Deafdoggie

Established Member
To be pedantic, the proposal is to remove the subsidy, not the bus service. The council wants bus operators to reinvent the service, so there still is one, but it is run commercially. The council will remove their subsidy, but the DFT are continuing theirs for a little while, but this really will do nothing more than postpone the withdrawal of the service

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The difficulty with Norton Bridge is that the slow lines have moved away from the village. A station could be built there, but would people use it when it is so far away? Effectively, in any meaningful sense, the railway has actually closed completely on that short section, not just the station.

If you're going to get in your car, you might as well drive to Stone.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The difficulty with Norton Bridge is that no one really lives there! It isn't so much the station closing that is the surprise, but the fact it ever opened!!

Etruia was different, that was an area, but is slowly disappeared with redevelopment, etc, and suddenly Etruia isn't really a place anymore. I suspect most people would not know where Etruia is now if you asked them. The station clung on as the last remaining relic of the name, but in the end had to go, as the area had simply gone.

Norton Bridge has never been a big place, and hasn't grown. Even if every Norton Bridge resident caught the train, it still wouldn't produce many passengers.

Wedgwood and Barlaston are different. Barlaston is a sizeable village, and the station is close to the village centre. I think it is the sensible one to have trains calling. Wedgwood, doesn't really have many houses close enough. It would serve the factory and visitor attraction, but unless trains come and go to serve factory shift times, it is of little use to workers. It is also located on private roads (belonging to Wedgwood) so access can be tricky, and there is a weight limit on a bridge, and height restriction too. Barlaston the better bet to reopen

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Though there is a large proposed development on part of the Wedgwood site that might shift it, possibly?

Etruria may not be known as that but there's plenty of employment there and houses a bit further away, but practically it's probably all better served by bus on the A53.

hawk1911

The difficulty with Norton Bridge is that the slow lines have moved away from the village. A station could be built there, but would people use it when it is so far away? Effectively, in any meaningful sense, the railway has actually closed completely on that short section, not just the station.

If you're going to get in your car, you might as well drive to Stone.
Unusually for me, I fully understand and agree that it would be ridiculous to consider building a new station for Norton Bridge.

What I struggle with, in this country, is the refusal to even consider continuing with an integrated bus service. The DfT stated in their consultation document that the only options were reinstating the rail service (i.e. £18 million building a new station) or closure. No surprise the end result was closure.

In their consultation response, the DfT emphasised this by stating:
In accordance with the Railways Act 2005 the Department has consulted on the proposal to discontinue the operation of Norton Bridge station. In both scenarios considered in the consultation (closing the station and reinstating train services) it was assumed that the Department’s part-funding for the bus services would be discontinued.

So, maintaining the 'rail replacement' bus service was never even considered as an option.

I don't know how much this closure process has cost but ultimately, the saving (bus subsidy), to the DfT, will amount to £40,000 per annum, a cost that may yet end up being picked up by another public body (if Staffordshire County Council do integrate into the existing 14 route).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What I struggle with, in this country, is the refusal to even consider continuing with an integrated bus service.

I would agree with that on a more general basis (and places like Wales with a slightly oddly laid out rail network are probably the perfect scenario for such things), but there are better ways to target funding than "because there was a station there before that barely anyone used".

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Though there is a large proposed development on part of the Wedgwood site that might shift it, possibly?

Etruria may not be known as that but there's plenty of employment there and houses a bit further away, but practically it's probably all better served by bus on the A53.

That is the point, Etruia wasn't a very accessible location. Festival park is close, but has a bus every 10 minutes, and from Newcastle-Under-Lyme where people actually live too.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Presumably they've taken the straightforward option of the annual timetable change date. So any existing timetables or posters referring to Norton Bridge won't be wrong for the intervening few weeks.

hawk1911

It appears that Norton Bridge is living in a sort of limbo state for the time being in that, although it was permanently closed on 10 December 2017, tickets can still be purchased for journeys from/to Norton Bridge. This seems to be on the basis of the temporary extension of the bus subsidy, until March 2019, after which, I assume, the station will be removed from the National Rail system.
This station is closed and train services no longer call here.The station has now been officially permanently closed with effect from 10 December 2017.

The services shown in our Journey Planner are replacement bus services which leave from the bus stop at the end of Station Drive, on Station Road, Norton Bridge.This replacement bus service will continue until March 2019 when it too will be permanently withdrawn.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/NTB/details.html

It appears that Norton Bridge is living in a sort of limbo state for the time being in that, although it was permanently closed on 10 December 2017, tickets can still be purchased for journeys from/to Norton Bridge. This seems to be on the basis of the temporary extension of the bus subsidy, until March 2019, after which, I assume, the station will be removed from the National Rail system.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/NTB/details.html

This is what I thought would happen, hence my earlier post. However I didn't get the technicality right.

To respond to a post above about Etruria, the area close to the station was knocked down years ago, but Etruria as a place does still exist, and is quite a large suburb of Hanley - it was effectively split in two by the A53 (to point out to those not in the know Stoke on Trent is 6 large towns which each has its own identity and suburbs) part of the area around the station is now redeveloped and new housing developments and business parks have been built which would have potentially made the station very viable today. Incidentally the station usage was quite high compared to other stations which have been closed.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Etruria was different. The location of the station was appalling. Not even so much as a car drop-off outside it. Down a flight of stairs to a platform below street level where ne’er do wells loitered. A very unpleasant place.

Yes, there are new houses nearby, but realistically not that near, most of the people walking in the other direction could reach Stoke station in only a little longer. And where do all these people want to go? Hanley (Stokes City Centre) of Newcastle-under-Lyme. I can’t see any of them needing a train.

The other advantage to Etruria closing was the ability to realign the track & increase line speed.

Etruria was different. The location of the station was appalling. Not even so much as a car drop-off outside it. Down a flight of stairs to a platform below street level where ne’er do wells loitered. A very unpleasant place.

Yes, there are new houses nearby, but realistically not that near, most of the people walking in the other direction could reach Stoke station in only a little longer. And where do all these people want to go? Hanley (Stokes City Centre) of Newcastle-under-Lyme. I can’t see any of them needing a train.

The other advantage to Etruria closing was the ability to realign the track & increase line speed.

I was referring to your comment 'nobody knows where Etruria is' and I would disagree, living in the area myself.

6Gman

Established Member
I would agree with that on a more general basis (and places like Wales with a slightly oddly laid out rail network are probably the perfect scenario for such things), but there are better ways to target funding than "because there was a station there before that barely anyone used".

... and therefore we must provide a bus service ... that barely anyone uses ...

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Officially Etruia doesn't cover the new house! Apparently they are Cliffe Vale, which-if I'm honest- surprised me. Festival Park is officially Etruia too. So, officially at least, I work in Etruia. But I wouldn't want to get the train there. Walking under that underpass, waiting on a bleak platform where no one can see you. If you have a body to dispose of, Etruia would be the ideal place-just don't plan your escape by train! If Etruia was at street level and closer to Festival Park, maybe it would have a chance. But even then, only a slim one.

In all seriousness, Etruia was better gone, and services improved. Etruia was to Stoke, what Peartree is to Derby. Too close to the main station to be attractive against the bus. Bus is more frequent, cheaper, and goes where people want it to.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Passing Barlaston station by bus the other day, I noticed some new platform edging had been installed. Couldn't tell whether it was just a 'tidying up to avoid loose bits falling off' or proper edging suitable for future passenger use.

No news whatsoever on the outcome of the franchise options (to serve one station, both or neither).

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Interesting because in sure they had previously remove the platform copers
Indeed, they had simply lifted the platform edges and left it 'as is'. Perhaps bits were getting 'sucked off by passing trains' as the joke about yellow lines & little yellow warning signs at Penrith had it.

XDM

The realignment for higher Pendalino speeds was the Network Rail Press Office reason for closing Etruria. But did it ever happen & what was the PSR raised from & to?
I suspect nothing happened & it was just the usual Network Rail guff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Just taken a little drive up. Wedgwood is as Central trains left it, but interestingly London Northwestern have put up new station information posters!
Barlaston has had the station car park resurfaced & concrete filled in on the edge where the edging stones removed. The whole (useable) platform length has been done.
There’s still a works vehicle in the car park, so possibly a little finishing off to be done.
Strangely, despite the work, no new posters from London Northwestern at Barlaston.

DenmarkRail

... and therefore we must provide a bus service ... that barely anyone uses ...

I, and many others I know rely on this service. We'd be fairly cut off without it.

Just taken a little drive up. Wedgwood is as Central trains left it, but interestingly London Northwestern have put up new station information posters!
Barlaston has had the station car park resurfaced & concrete filled in on the edge where the edging stones removed. The whole (useable) platform length has been done.
There’s still a works vehicle in the car park, so possibly a little finishing off to be done.
Strangely, despite the work, no new posters from London Northwestern at Barlaston.

Clearly something going on here then... I wonder when the ETA is for at least an announcement?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I wouldn’t describe the platform edging at Barlaston as a neat job, but it would be useable. I would have thought if doing it to use they would have made it better, but maybe there’s finishing off to still be done. But if no plans to use it, why spend time & money on it at all? Still the old Regional Railways name boards on both stations.are there any other stations still with them?

DenmarkRail

Are there any updates on the reopening of either Wedgewood or Barlaston? After a drive by Barlaston, it looks in almost peak condition ready to go... I'd personally say Wedgewood is better to reopen with long term goals in mind... Lots of new houses going in around there.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
They have certainly spent some money on Barlaston in recent months, but no official news as far as I know.
The trouble with Wedgwood station is that it is on private roads so access could, potentially, become an issue. It also has the weak bridge too. And I'm not sure who owns the (now closed) car park? It also has wooden platforms, and is generally in a poor state of repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.