• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barmouth Bridge on Fire (04/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
First DOWN from Machynlleth found flames coming off timbers on Barmouth Bridge at Morfa Mawddach end this morning. Fire Service in attendance cancellations and disruption on Cambrian.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crispy1978

Saw on Twitter feed there was delays but wasn't sure why. Any RRB service would take a while you'd think, including the diversion.

0934 from Pwllheli left 29 late.

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Not a huge conflagration, but one support on the seaward side has burnt through.

Because of that the bridge is likely to remain closed until at least Monday 10th October. That is dependent on weather and tidal conditions not hampering repairs.

Arriva Trains Wales are drawing up a contingency train plan. One Class 158 is now trapped on the line between Barmouth and Pwhelli.

Essexman

Established Member
Ferry and Fairbourne Miniature would provide an interesting diversion.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Usual half baked announcements on NRE and ATW Journey Check saying problem with bridge. Why don't they just say fire as it's not a national secret and widely broadcast in the media.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Usual half baked announcements on NRE and ATW Journey Check saying problem with bridge. Why don't they just say fire as it's not a national secret and widely broadcast in the media.

It's interesting - I thought that "mumble mumble incident mumble" stuff had gone away when I saw "cancelled due to a derailment" on the boards at Euston t'other week. Clearly still there in some TOCs.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I went straight to "fire damage" on the posters we put up at Newtown no one kicked off despite there being 6 cancellations at one point through Newtown. 4 of which later reinstated.

Local news media seem disappointed not to find "towering inferno" type blaze.

One post on Shropshire Sar website suggests it's people disgruntled at Gwynedd C C decision to keep footpath open on bridge and close public toilets wat did it.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Was there a grinder out last night, just trying to see what the cause may be.

Nothing on RTT and they need dragging into position by 97's on Cambrian anyway. None about.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
3 units stranded north of the bridge apparently.

The first unit from Mach went over it apparently and stopped 100 yes beyond. No sign of it on pictures I've seen.

Two units stabled overnight at Pwllheli.

craigybagel

Established Member
Nothing on RTT and they need dragging into position by 97's on Cambrian anyway. None about.

The first unit from Mach went over it apparently and stopped 100 yes beyond. No sign of it on pictures I've seen.

Two units stabled overnight at Pwllheli.

It moved north away from the bridge a few hours later I believe.

tsr

Established Member
Staff rumor mill is saying "hot oil" was to blame.

PIS Screens are saying "problem with a river bridge" even though its an estuary!

Pretty sure there probably isn't a pre-set message for "problem with an estuary crossing"! You'd most likely have to add the detail manually. I don't work in CIS but I'm guessing that the more things change, the less consistent this sort of information might become.

"Fire next to the track" might be better if you had to stick with stock phrases.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Network Rail were working on the bridge the night before I'm told...

Issue with repair could well be what timber they can find as the damaged stuff is all imported south african can hardwood

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
At some point those stranded units will need to go over a maintenance pit for a safety etc check .....

Indeed, but I was responding to someone asking about fuelling and tanking- anything else (and indeed that) is beyond my limited knowledge!

Of course if the line was going to be severed for 18 months there'd need to be something done, whether that be regularly swapping the units by road or a Dingwall-style temporary light maintenance depot...

1179_Clee2

Indeed, but I was responding to someone asking about fuelling and tanking- anything else (and indeed that) is beyond my limited knowledge!

Of course if the line was going to be severed for 18 months there'd need to be something done, whether that be regularly swapping the units by road or a Dingwall-style temporary light maintenance depot...

It depends on how bad the damage is?
Could you run a train ECS at 5 mph with Network Rail engineers watching once a week to swap units? or is the damage so bad it is banned to all trains?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It depends on how bad the damage is?
Could you run a train ECS at 5 mph with Network Rail engineers watching once a week to swap units? or is the damage so bad it is banned to all trains?

For an 18-month closure I'd be thinking that would be in the event of a partial collapse, or an even-worse infestation of those worms that tried to eat the bridge in the 1980s. In the current case it seems that one unit did make it across without taking a dip, so barring the discovery of anything nasty it's a case of weeks rather than months.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
ATW Journey Check quotes 17th October as opening date.

That's changed from this morning. Not unexpected though.

The demand for services at moment between Tywyn and Barmouth is fairly light. The school trains into Harlech aren't effected, though the Tywyn ones are.

The concessionaire pensioners have been gripping a bit but most of the hassle with them is telling them it's not free travel anywhere in Wales but only on certain lines and no the Heart of Wales doesn't run from Shrewbury to Cardiff via Hereford!
Bugger. That's my 4 in 8 North Wales Rover out of the window then!

There's a bus replacement remember you"ll get a good view of the Mawddach going to Dolgellau and around to Fairbourne plus the Friog Avalanche shelter from above it.

Established Member

Can I ask where you've got 18 months from? Are you merely supposing 'what if the line was closed for 18 months?' or something more substantial?

(Googles Dingwall temporary Light maintenance depot...)

Status
Not open for further replies.