• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barnetby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambleforth123

Looking at the timeline of Barnetby from a full Great Central Station with all the normal buildings to the shell of a station with island platforms - a monstrosity of conformity of a bridge and bus shelters for waiting rooms. Can anyone put dates on when this travesty occurred. I know it from c1995 and whilst the bridge wasn't there and the old goods shed was …. when did all the station buildings get demolished and the final acts of destruction occur?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I don't know, but, as a place to change trains, it's a desolate windswept hole.

John Webb

Established Member
(Click on photos to go to the larger originals on the Geograph website.)
Photo from 1961:
Barnetby Station, view towards Immingham and Grimsby

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Photo from 1979:
Barnetby station 1979

© Copyright Peter Whatley and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

A 1983 photo, mostly of a train, shows the buiuldings etc still there.
This photo from 1999 shows that they have gone by then:
Railway Station, Barnetby-le-Wold

© Copyright Dave Hitchborne and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Ambleforth123

Thank you John, that gives a bit of balance to my thinking. It appears that the platform structures other than the original overbridge disappeared earlier thank I thought although the 1979 shot shows some cutting back of the roof line and other detail changes. Be good if anyone can come up with a definite demolition date! Thank you anyway - appreciated.

LowLevel

Established Member
My brain is telling me that they went in 1993 though I may be wrong. Regional Railways had quite a pre privatisation cull of station buildings around then.

clagmonster

Established Member
Are the outer platforms used at all nowadays?
Very occasionally. The 08:53 Manchester Airport - Cleethorpes is booked to use platform 1, presumably to allow more doors to be released as it is a 6 car. The other 6 car, 16:53 off the Airport, is booked to use platform 2 though. Nothing passenger wise booked through 4, though it does happen occasionally.

Freight wise, both are used. 4 for trains coming off the down goods, 1 is used to loop freights, with the odd one passing through.

Status
Not open for further replies.