• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barnsley - Dodworth - Silkstone

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmbenson

Was the Barnsley - Dodworth - Silkstone line ever electrified?
I drove over Dodworth level crossing last weekend and was convinced that I'd been there many years ago (mid 70s?) and that there were bells over the roadway to warn of the overhead wires height restrictions
Martin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talltim

Established Member
Not as far as I know at Dodworth. There was an electrified line nearby, From Peniston to Wath, part of the Woodhead electrification, but the Wath line diverged from the Barnsley line (or vice versa) between Oxpring Tunnel and Silkstone Common station.

talltim

Established Member
Looks like there would have been a level crossing on the electrified line here just south of Dodworth

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Certainly remember being driven past Dodworth in the early 70s with no electrification, and often a NCB steam loco shunting in the colliery. The line that crossed the M1 just south of Dodworth intersection was electrified.

Last edited:

9K43

That route had never been electrified in my 30 years of being a guard

9K43

The pictures on this reply were very good, but some all before I came on the scene.
We did however take a set of points to Dodworth on the first day of the Miners strike. After that all coal by rail was banned by ASLEF and NUR for the duration of the strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.