• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Baron-Cohens Dictatorial Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Anyone planning to see this which must just about be the most hyped film of the moment....

I saw it yesterday and was really looking forward to it having seen the trailer. Unfortunately the trailer contains all the highlights the rest is pretty dross.

It started brilliantly with Borat , slipped a bit with Bruno and this has plummeted to new depths.

Baron Cohen needs to get back to basics and capitalise on his pechant for hysterical non pc comedy - he has gone to far up himself with this latest offering :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Satire like this could play a useful political role, as with Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator, but in a world in which there is already, or was, a Muammar Gadaffi, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Kim Jong-un, it seems to be rather redundant, doesn it.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ugh, I sat through Borat really wanting to laugh but there was nothing to laugh at :/

Apart from Blazing Saddles (the best film of all time IMO), Borat is the funniest film I have ever watched. You didn't even smile at him singing the Kazahkstani national anthem to the US's, or the events in the Jewish couple's house, or him having a comedy lesson?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Borat was a very funny film in my opinion. Bruno less so, more setting out to shock completely - rather than get laughs. I've yet to see the Dictator, but haven't really heard anything good.

I went to see Dark Shadows the other day, its been critically slated but I thought it was quite good - probably was a safer bet.

NY Yankee

When I saw the Avengers on Tuesday, I also saw the trailer for Borat and it looked pretty funny. The funniest part was when he was outside of the UN and the cops sprayed him with a hose.

Butts

Veteran Member
When I saw the Avengers on Tuesday, I also saw the trailer for Borat and it looked pretty funny. The funniest part was when he was outside of the UN and the cops sprayed him with a hose.

Borat was six years ago :roll:

I take it you meant "The Dictator"

As I mentioned the trailer contains the lions share of the laughs.

In my view the best bet in the film when he kicks the cheeky kid who calls him a "loser" into the stack in the supermarket.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
We are planning on seeing the film this weekend. Despite the negativity, we will probably still go, after all, the local flea pit will be closing soon and has knocked the prices down to £4, sow e won;t be wasting a lot of money!

GB

Established Member
I think one of the big successes with Borat was that SBC was unknown in the states at the time and the US folk thought his character was real. I haven't seen The Dictator but I guess the reverse is true now.

Established Member
Republic of Wadiya has a 54% stake in FirstGroup.

*allegedly ;)

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Dark Shadows was excelent, Avengers was pretty good even without Emma Peel. Will probably see Dictator and possibly the Raven this week

Status
Not open for further replies.