• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barrow Hill .... meet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
Well yesterday, Saturday 16th October, i went to an event of some description at Barrow Hill roundhouse, near Chesterfield.
I got up at 05:00 to get the 05:35 off Havant, first one up to Waterloo. Due to problems attaching units at Portsmouth Harbour, the train was 25 late start. SWT finally found the best way to make up time was to run the train fast from Haslemere to Guildford, then fast from Woking to Waterloo {it was originally going to run fast fast Havant to Petersfield}
Got to Waterloo, i dunno when {too early} and had to engage my brain to follow signs to a temporary entrance to the tube. Re engaged my brain at St Pancras {very taxing for a saturday morning} to follow signs from the tube to the mainline station.
After buying a very tasty panini from a shop downstairs, i wandered upto the platform and texted Galvanized to let him know i was ontime and on the platforms. A few minutes later i Galvanize and his dad arrived and we chatted about various things until the train was announced as boarding.
Galvanize led the way in finding our seats in coach D, just in time to see Joy54 wander past the window. This was a good enough motivation to wind someone up, text Joy54 and let him figure out who is texting him 8)
After being joined by Joy54, we chatted about various things and i got to know him abit better in the 2 hours it took the train to get to Chesterfield.
Getting to Chesterfield, we filed out of the station like sheep to find the free bus, getting a good spot in a quickly forming queue.
A bus of some description turned up and all the bus spotters proceeded to push the ding button thing as they got on, me making a comment to Joy54 about what would happen if i was driving 8)
-----------------
The actual event thing itself,

Getting to Barrow Hill Joy54 worked out the cheapest entrance ticket was a family ticket, we just agreed, still too early.
I think i then went off with Galvanize and his dad to look round while Joy54 did his own thing.
The next thing that sticks in my mind is re joining Joy54 and meeting another member who's username i'm not sure about, he was sound though :lol:
We had a look at a Deltic cab wired upto Trainz where i exchanged dirty glances with one of the operators, i still cant think where i know him from but he certainly knew me when i put my head round the door.
Next up was some blatent advertising to be done in the visitors book of the DPS. This was about the only part of the event that interested me, all the work being carried out on a Deltic and the engines on display outside of the loco.
After looking at more locos, we meet up with Galvanize and Mojo in the tea room place, meet another 2 guys but didnt really get to chat to them.

The rest was pretty crap in my opinion, and obviously Mojos.

On the train back, i chatted to Joy54 about various things and learnt about another part of society, the part that wages war on ticket inspectors/offices.

My opinion? The show was crap but everybody i met was pretty kool and good to talk to, hopefully see you at other meets sometime in the near future

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oh, good, I'm not the only one who thought it was rubbish.
I'm sure Id have had more fun doing the garden with my mum, and saved over £30 whilst I was doing it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TheSlash said:
After looking at more locos, we meet up with Galvanize and Mojo in the tea room place, meet another 2 guys but didnt really get to chat to them.
I am 99% sure that was AJP and 6M60 Seaton Flasks, as they described seeing you guys at the tea room. One of you had a laptop or something?

AJP

Mojo said:
I'm sure Id have had more fun doing the garden with my mum, and saved over £30 whilst I was doing it.

RUBBISH!!!! Which event did you go to??

y9tmca.jpg

I take you guys like sheds.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
HOLY Tamoly! (the latter word the funniest substitute to use for what I actually said on seeing that picture) That's a nice amount of locos there...Could have done with seeing that lot!

It sounds like the rest of the event was boring though, no-one has mentioned any haulage of any sort, something that would have made it more interesting IMO.

Glad I stood my ground and went to the SVR instead! Diesel haulage guarenteed there! Would have been nice to meet TheSlash though, although I daresay we would have had a lot of argumentive discussion over EMUs and the SR... ;)

AJP

Plenty of haulage I had 55019,55002,D5528,20066,20096,20905,47488,47847 to name a few. How much was the SVR?

y9tm8b.jpg

This was D5528.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Should have come to Newcastle with us ;)

We had a great day!

TheSlash

Established Member
AJP said:
Mojo said:

RUBBISH!!!! Which event did you go to??

I take you guys like sheds.
I can't speak for Mojo but cramming into a corner of a rotten MK1 coach, or peering through the window bars of a MK2 brake, just to say i've been behind a certain number diesel, doesn't sound fun to me.
I thought they'd be alot of fully restored locos with information about their restoration aswell as information posters and staff to talk to about the way Barrow Hill operates, from arrival it just looks like a storage place for scrap BR diesel locos
I thought the 31 and 47 permanently coupled to the train was bad planning and use of resources, most of the locos that hauled the train could supply vacuum brake and its not to hard to change the loco at the entrance end.
Basically i could of organised it alot better without breaking a sweat....

TheSlash

Established Member
PS once you've been in 1 cab, the rest are all the same, 1 handle to go, 1 handle to stop, 1 handle to set direction.... and they pay train drivers how much a year to operate these 3 controls? 8)

Simming

and what about your lot, you getting paid for just 2 task...

Old track out -> new track in

;) 8)

TheSlash

Established Member
Simming said:
and what about your lot, you getting paid for just 2 task...

Old track out -> new track in

;) 8)
Yeah ok, if you reckon its that simple then who am i to spoil your illusion

Galvanize

The event was O.K, but not as good as I expected.

I wanted to ride behind the 58, which wasn't working, and didn't belong to Barrow Hill, belonged to EWS who placed it in the WNXX Pool <(

I agree with TheSlash that the 31 and 47 just coupled all the time was bad planning, but it was nice to see 31110 again :)

Part of the site looked like a Scrapyard with 31s and 33s everywhere
http://www.jamesmartin.fotopic.net/p21586831.html
http://www.jamesmartin.fotopic.net/p21586842.html

Got many old magazines, and a Locomaster Profiles video, Dover and out for those who really wanted to know.

metrocammel

Yeh I thought it was OK, and apparently the last "big" BH diesel event for two years as there is a major track wors due to commence next year, so there will be no more shuttles for a while. I managed to reap in a grand total of around 10 miles!!!!! Dreadfull!!!LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.