• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barrow MP had just had enough of drunken passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Cumbria MP John Woodcock has told how he was threatened after confronting a "rowdy gang" of men on a train.

The Labour MP said the incident happened as he was returning to his Barrow constituency on Thursday night.

He said he intervened when comments by the group became "increasingly racist and unacceptable".

The shadow transport minister said he was assaulted and had a bag thrust in his face. A man is being questioned by police over the incident.

Mr Woodcock, 33, who was not seriously injured, said: "I had got on the train at Lancaster on my way home and there were a group of lads who had been drinking and were rowdy and boisterous. The kind of thing you often see on public transport late at night.

"Unfortunately their comments got increasingly unacceptable, derogatory and when they turned racist I just thought that enough was enough.

"So I got up to talk to them and fortunately I only ended up with a bag in my face for my trouble.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-17188701

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oddiesjack

It's a pity he wasn't travelling with fellow Labour MP Eric Joyce, he'd have head-butted the ring leader and wrestled with the rest!

Requeststop

Cumbria MP John Woodcock has told how he was threatened after confronting a "rowdy gang" of men on a train.

The Labour MP said the incident happened as he was returning to his Barrow constituency on Thursday night.

He said he intervened when comments by the group became "increasingly racist and unacceptable".

The shadow transport minister said he was assaulted and had a bag thrust in his face. A man is being questioned by police over the incident.

Mr Woodcock, 33, who was not seriously injured, said: "I had got on the train at Lancaster on my way home and there were a group of lads who had been drinking and were rowdy and boisterous. The kind of thing you often see on public transport late at night.

"Unfortunately their comments got increasingly unacceptable, derogatory and when they turned racist I just thought that enough was enough.

"So I got up to talk to them and fortunately I only ended up with a bag in my face for my trouble.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-17188701
Well done to the honorable menber. How many others in the chamber would do the same?

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I take it the BTP have been to interview the drunk with a view to the drunk lodging a complaint and then the BTP charging the MP with assault, similar to what happened in Scotland.

Good on the MP though! :D

deltic1989

Established Member
Well done to the honorable menber. How many others in the chamber would do the same?

Hear hear. I now call upon the speaker of the house to give him a jolly well deserved pat on the back.

Joking aside, good on the fella, there arent many people in general would have had the balls to stand up to a rowdy drunken mob so credit where its due.......words I never thought i would say about a Labour MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.