• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barry Island Railway -new volunteers day

Status
Not open for further replies.

D107

The above event is being held on Saturday May 27th at Barry Island station between 1000 and 1600. A demonstration goods train (with brake van rides) will run from 1100 onwards (steam hauled) but it is hoped to have some of the diesel fleet on show, plus the 10.25" line behind a maroon "Western"! All prospective new volunteers are welcome to join us, have look behind the scenes and have a chat to the various department heads.

We are looking to swell the ranks of active members to help out wherever they can on the railway. This year we hope to see 73133, 20228, D9521 and the GatEx (a mini GatEx to be honest) in action, along with the resident DMU fleet. At present, all 3 locos are coming to the end of overhauls with an expected return date in time for the Transport Festival on 10th/11th June. The event will also feature GWR 0-6-0PT 6430 and 0-6-0ST "Pamela".

Stop press: New extension to open this year. No more trekking to Morrisons for breakfast or pasties. This time, we go by train! ...and...73133 started up today for the first time. :D

For further details go to www.valeofglamorganrailway.co.uk or the railway's yahoo group; http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/barryislandrailway/

Thanks for your interest and we look forward to meeting some of you.

Nick.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

Hi there,

Is there any further information on the trackbed that the VofG uses...where did it originally go to and how much so far has been rebuilt?

D107

Nick said:
Hi there,

Is there any further information on the trackbed that the VofG uses...where did it originally go to and how much so far has been rebuilt?

Some of the VofG line (now rebadged as the Barry Island Railway to avoid confusion with the NR Vale of Glamorgan line - believe me it happens!) is "new build", but the majority is relaid on what was the second track to Barry Island from Barry Town and on what used to be the miles of sidings that ran alongside the main line from Cadoxton.

In terms of what has been rebuilt, the line from Plymouth road through platform 4 at the island to the town; Docks Branch jct to Hood rd (complete new build) and the line from Docks Branch jct to Woodham Halt. What is left to rebuild is from Woodham Halt to Morrisons (due for completion by the end of summer 2006) and from there to Barry Docks station. A new Barry Central is to be built at some stage which means that Barry Docks station will shut. I understand that provision is made for us to have the third platform at Barry Central.

In the other direction, the line from Barry Island to Barry Pier via the tunnel is long gone and a shooting club now occupy the tunnel. Should they vacate then the long term plan is to re lay track from the island to the tunnel and on to Barry pier. This in total should give a round trip of some 7 miles I believe.

The ultimate plan is to restore boat services from the Barry Pier using the MV Balmoral / PS Waverley during summer months. I believe there is interest from the WSR in having vessels leave Barry and call into Minehead to "link" both lines, albeit by 20 miles of water. The advantage that Barry has over other South Wales ports is that the berth used by the vessels is accessible at all states of the tide.

The council wish to resurrect the former docks ferry route which can carry passengers from Barry pier, across the docks and disembark them at the old Barry Railway Dock Offices. The Barry Docks station is adjacent. This will allow passengers to do a circular route using train and ferry. We are more concerned with getting to Morrisons by train for breakfast...;)

Hope this helps?

Nick.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Hello there, I have been interested in joining the railway for some time, just wondering if there is much young involvement with the barry island railway?

D107

HSTfan!!! said:
Hello there, I have been interested in joining the railway for some time, just wondering if there is much young involvement with the barry island railway?

Hi! Most of what were our younger members, grew up! They continue to run the model railway and the miniature railway however, some have gone on to become footplate crew. One of the lads is now serving a steam apprenticeship at Llangollen with whom we are "twinned".

You will be most welcome to come down and have a look for yourself, either on the 27th or any other day that suits - people are there every Sat, some Sundays and on Wednesdays. Under 16's need to be accompanied by an adult, but what we normally do is to pair them up with an adult for whatever jobs need covering. They act as on-train stewards/ TTI's etc on operating days. One of the juniors is helping us put D9521 back together with his dad.

Let me know if you do want to come down and I'll happily show you around and introduce you to everyone. If you really want to look at HST's you can sit yourself up at Woodham Halt and watch diverted 125's on the Vale line!

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.