• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bashers "hide in cabs"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddingdonkey

Excellent piece of reporting from the Daily Express, on the fate of an idiot who thought that gaining entry to the back cab of a Pendo so he could play with the horn would end in anything other than the arrival of the BTP.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/630421/Train-horn-blow-George-Foley

Highlight of the report:
"Foley is thought to be a “train basher”, an obsessed rail enthusiast who ignores safety rules to hide inside driver’s cabs on trains."

"Some British train bashers travel abroad to hide in the cabs of locomotives built in the UK."

Somebody has their wires crossed here, surely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You were not expecting anyone at the Daily Express to get things right, were you? ;)

BestWestern

Established Member
In other news, Virgin issue staff memo regarding correctly locking cab doors...

ComUtoR

Established Member
soft horn...loud horn - not two tone then? :lol:

It is sometimes referred to as soft and loud. We have 2 on one of our units although 1 is called a depot whistle.

I believe there are units out there with 2 horns.

scott118

It is sometimes referred to as soft and loud. We have 2 on one of our units although 1 is called a depot whistle.

I believe there are units out there with 2 horns.

Yeah man, my units have a two tone horn and a depot whistle, should you wish to call it that..I was impressed by the way the paper, reports how, at the different locations, the soft and loud tones, need to be applied...

High/low, soft/loud, depot/working, so many horns/whistles...:eek:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some of us are old enough to remember when "The Express" actually was quite a decent and respected paper. I'm talking about the "Fleet St" era.

neilb62

Firstly he can't lock a 390 cab door from the inside, either the Driver or the TM would have been able to get him out. It's a security key, not a "T" key but there have been 'issues" with bodyflex popping the locks. Maybe now they'll start sorting them out we've only been moaning about it since they were built... The 390 does indeed have loud and soft horns but its speed dependant controlled by a single lever.

6Gman

Established Member
There's too many posts on here to quote in my ubiquitous request for a "like" button!

Ditto!

On topic, didn't we establish on another thread that Pendolinos don't have cab doors and staff have to enter/leave through the windows? :D

neilb62

Ditto!

On topic, didn't we establish on another thread that Pendolinos don't have cab doors and staff have to enter/leave through the windows? :D

Having been out through that window I'm bloody glad they do have doors...:D

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ditto!

Now there's an idea - paint one bright orange and rename it the "Pendo Lee". Could see beardy getting on board if the Dukes of Hazzard franchise is given (yet another) reboot!

Chrisgr31

Established Member
How come the actual train was apparently only delayed by a few minutes, but other services were delayed by an hour?

Whilst I can understand that you don't want unauthorised people in the cabs of trains, pressing the horn hardly seems like the crime of the century

Minilad

Established Member
Good job the reporter wasn't around in the olden days! Some of the stuff us old time bashers got up to would have made him have kittens

Zerothebrake!

What, like stealing the horn knobs or loosening the screws either side of the power handle on a 47 so that it would come off in the hapless driver's hand?!

Carntyne

How come the actual train was apparently only delayed by a few minutes, but other services were delayed by an hour?

Whilst I can understand that you don't want unauthorised people in the cabs of trains, pressing the horn hardly seems like the crime of the century

Once the actual train is late, it knocks stock/crews on other services out completely sometimes.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Some of us are old enough to remember when "The Express" actually was quite a decent and respected paper. I'm talking about the "Fleet St" era.

Still is in my view, if the G***dian ran this story it'd sound as if the person who illegally entered the cab was some sort of wasisit or was far right or other drivel that the G***dian comes out with.

A-driver

Established Member
In other news, Virgin issue staff memo regarding correctly locking cab doors...

Or was he one of those oddballs who go around with T-keys and the like ?

390s have a different key for cabs, not one of the usual BR issued keys. The door was locked but this 'enthusiast' stole from the buffet car, had no ticket and hid inside a cupboard to evade the guard. When the guard opened the cupboard this bloke assaulted the guard with a fire extinguisher before stealing the keys and locking himself in the back cab.

That's according to a virgin drivers Facebook post regarding the event on the ASLEF FB group.

Status
Not open for further replies.