• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Basingstoke - London Season question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A passenger holds a Basingstoke to London Terminals season for a period of one month or greater.

They purchase a ticket routed "Any Permitted" which is set by FGW.

I understand they cannot claim delay compensation for any individual journey, as neither FGW nor SWT give compensation for monthly (or longer) season ticket holders on an individual journey basis, and instead compensation is in the form of a discount if & when the passenger renews their Season.

If I am correct, can someone confirm whether the fact that the ticket is set by FGW means that it will be the performance of FGW services which determines whether compensation is payable OR is the fact that the quickest journey opportunities are by SWT means that it will be the performance of SWT services which determines whether compensation?

Can anyone say which "service group" this ticket currently falls under and if someone held such a ticket today what compensation, if any, would they be entitled to?

The reason I ask is that someone who is a "Newdeal/ukRail Fares Workshop Accredited" fares advisor elsewhere has given advice to the holder of such a ticket that they can delay compensation from either SWT or FGW, but I am not sure that is correct.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IainH

I had a correspondance with SWT and FGW about this last year.
The definition in the FGW charter of a ‘Former FGWL Service’ and therefore in the Thames Valley group applies here, as the flow was priced by FGWL.
However, FGW now state the flow comes under ‘High Speed’. I challenged this but got nowhere.
So the answer is that the (currently 5%) charter discount due to the High Speed performance group would apply (and therefore that no other compensation, other than void days is due).
Happy to share the correspondence if you message me. There is no difference between Thames Valley and High Speed charter discount this year, but last year it was Zero for high speed and 5% for Thames Valley, hence the question coming up.
So with that ticket, the SWT performance is irrelevant.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Logically, I would assume that it'd be firmly in SWT territory for Charter purposes, as that'd be the most likely route the passenger would use.

However, if you were to use an FGW charter group I'd lean towards LTV.

Of course, such a passenger could purchase the ticket from another TOC and nominate the service group there. Might take a bit of convincing to get FGW allocated instead of SWT though!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm not sure how it's determined either - I believe it's not automated so it might just depend whether you renew at Basingstoke or Reading. As regards FGW, I think the HS/LTV split is determined by the likely trains used rather than just location, so HS makes sense here. Reading-Didcot is classed as HS for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.