• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Basingstoke to Kingston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It appears that SWR's website is not capable of finding any journeys from Basingstoke to Kingston. The problem affects all Webtis sites by the looks of it. It would appear that it will not permit you to double back between New Malden and Clapham Junction.

It is pretty much impossible to make the journey planner give you an itinerary changing at Surbiton and New Malden because that is so much slower, however you can put via Richmond (which is also much slower but not quite as bad) and that does return results.

This easement may be relevant, or not. It's quite vague:

Journeys from Surbiton and stations west of Surbiton to Kingston upon Thames and stations north of Kingston Upon Thames, may double back between Wimbledon, Raynes Park and New Malden. This easement applies in both directions.

Capture.PNG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The easement only covers half of your intended double-back. Beyond Wimbledon you are asking for Earslfield and Clapham Junction.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The intention of the easement is to allow travel on Guildford and Woking stoppers, most of which run fast between Surbiton and Wimbledon. It isn't intended for travel all the way to Clapham Junction.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The intention of the easement is to allow travel on Guildford and Woking stoppers, most of which run fast between Surbiton and Wimbledon. It isn't intended for travel all the way to Clapham Junction.

So how do people travel from Basingstoke to Kingston? There are almost no services to Wimbledon from Basingstoke, so doubling back that far is useless.

Romilly

Established Member
If I search for Basingstoke to Kingston on a WEBTIS journey planner such as C2C's, and put Clapham Junction in the "avoid" box, I get lots of journey options for a through ticket with changes at Woking and Wimbledon.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So how do people travel from Basingstoke to Kingston? There are almost no services to Wimbledon from Basingstoke, so doubling back that far is useless.
I'm not sure that the easement had Basingstoke specifically in mind. Plenty of origin stations can make good use of that easement.

But as Romilly said, you will normally need to change twice on that route, Woking and Wimbledon or Surbiton and Wimbledon or Surbiton and New Malden. I don't know how big the market is for travelling Basingstoke to the Kingston loop, but if the demand exists, I am sure the TOC would be more than happy to clarify the matter, seeing that it undercuts the Clapham Junction fare. ;)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Travel via Clapham Junction and Richmond is already permitted so there would be no issues going to Clapham Junction. NRE is also satisfied that doubling back between Clapham Junction and New Malden is permitted, but it breaks if you try to pass it through to the SWR site to buy.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Travel via Clapham Junction and Richmond is already permitted so there would be no issues going to Clapham Junction. NRE is also satisfied that doubling back between Clapham Junction and New Malden is permitted, but it breaks if you try to pass it through to the SWR site to buy.
NRES seems to permit it, but only with two separate single tickets.

What happened to the old warning icon when more than ticket was needed?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Then travel via Twickenham if NRE says it's fine. ;)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
This is less about me and more about SWR's website telling people that this journey cannot be made.

alistairlees

Established Member
I can get the £19.90 SDS from Basingstoke to Kingston for a search tomorrow at 09.00 to be returned as follows:

TrainGenius (uses Fujitsu journey planner) - one change at Clapham Junction and doubling back via Wimbledon is the default; putting in via Richmond works just as well

Trainline (uses own journey planner) - one change at Clapham Junction and doubling back via Wimbledon is the default; putting in via Richmond works just as well

Hull Trains (using Worldline's journey planner) - will only suggest journeys that are a change at Woking and then at Wimbledon, doubling back from there. This suggests the last valid train in the morning is 07.59. Won't send you via CLJ at all.

NRE (uses SliverRail journey planner) - - one change at Clapham Junction and doubling back via Wimbledon is the default; putting in via Richmond works just as well. I'm not having any problems when being handed off to SWR (Worldline) though

BUT going to the South Western Railway website direct, no results at all!

Conclusion: there's something wrong with the Worldline interpretation of this route (given everyone else can retail it ok).

Kieron Kirk

"That's what I was thinking - Basingstoke to Surbiton then it's a few minutes on the bus. There's a bus (71, 281 and a couple of others) every few minutes."
Buses 71, 281, K1, K2, K3, 281, 465, 514 and 515.
You will need either an Oyster or contactless card.

Kieron.

Status
Not open for further replies.