• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Basingstoke to "Ripon"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diplodicus

I need to travel to from Basingstoke to Ripon and am aware that there is no station in Ripon anymore!! However, i do have the choice of being collected from either Thirsk or Harrogate and am not fussy as to which.

I am also not fussy whether or not my journey is via Waterloo and Kings Cross or x.Country up the middle.

Great Central is fine.

So questions:

1. Is "via London" the cheapest (I have a senior railcard).?
2. If so, is it easier to book SWR to Waterloo and then direct with the northbound TOC for the leg from Kings X?
3. Can I upgrade the one leg northbound to first class without trying for the return upgrade?
4. Is it cheaper to avoid travel on Fridays through Mondays?
5. What aren't I seeing?

Many thanks Oh Wise Ones.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
When are you travelling? Do you need to be there (or get back) at a particular time? Are you doing a one way or return journey? Do you need flexibility or can you commit to a fixed travel time?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1. Is "via London" the cheapest (I have a senior railcard).?
It will probably depend on your travel requirements
2. If so, is it easier to book SWR to Waterloo and then direct with the northbound TOC for the leg from Kings X?
Easier in terms of booking or easier in terms of any access requirements, such as if you prefer to avoid walking when interchanging or minimise changes?
3. Can I upgrade the one leg northbound to first class without trying for the return upgrade?
Do you mean you want to book 1st class tickets in one direction or do you mean pay for weekend supplements in one direction?
4. Is it cheaper to avoid travel on Fridays through Mondays?
I don't think it is as simple as saying to avoid particular days; demand is induced by time of travel too.

Looking randomly at Basingstoke to Harrogate one way on 13th April around midday, Trainsplit offers a 1224 departure arriving into Harrogate 1744 for £38.55 in standard class via London. Seat selection between London & Leeds is available. The cost of travelling 1st class around that time is over double.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
If you would like to specify Grand Central I would advise you to search Basingstoke to Thirsk on https://new.trainsplit.com/ on your chosen travel date and select exclude LNER, CrossCountry, TransPennine Express and Hull Trains. You can also try changing to "cheapest".

Diplodicus

Sorry for the lack of info.

I was thinking out on a Thursday and back on a Tuesday.
Not bothered about time provided that I'm back at Basingstoke by 20:00-ish.
Happy to commit to a fixed time out and back.
Not overly bothered about the upgrade to first (I noticed an upgade offered ex-KGX on Grand Central on their mid-day-ish off peak).
Not worried about walking/interchanges (if you don't like the tube to KGX, then bus 159 is an excellent alternative from Waterloo Rd. and free for us old codgers).

Thanks again.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
If you have an English National Concessionary Travel Pass I imagine that would be accepted for travel between Leeds and Ripon on the 36 if you wished also.

mikeg

Established Member
Harrogate is definitely a better option than Thirsk, at least if your journey is time sensitive. The buses from Thirsk are sparse to say the least. Last I checked the 36 involved a bit of a walk from Leeds station though only about a minute from Harrogate. The 70 from Thirsk picks up from right outside the station.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I only suggested Leeds because it gives a much broader choice of direct London trains than Thirsk or Harrogate - from where the OP says they can arrange a lift.

mikeg

Established Member
Ah in that case Leeds is likely a good station. There's also the less frequent 22 service from York, though less frequent and less early to late than the 36 it's more frequent than the 70 from Thirsk. Note the long journey time of ca. 70 minutes

Diplodicus

If I have to reach Ripon without a daughterly collection (that pesky day job) then I will always choose Harrogate and the excellent 36 bus from outside the station. I can walk the last leg. It's being offered a Thirsk collection that prompted my original enquiry.

ls2270

Established Member

Not overly bothered about the upgrade to first (I noticed an upgade offered ex-KGX on Grand Central on their mid-day-ish off peak).
Not worried about walking/interchanges (if you don't like the tube to KGX, then bus 159 is an excellent alternative from Waterloo Rd. and free for us old codgers).

Thanks again.
The bus from Waterloo Road was the 59 rather than the 159. It also got cut back to Euston a while back so no longer runs through to Kings Cross.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd look at Trainsplit to Harrogate; let us know if you have any questions regarding what it comes up with.

Don't forget you can choose your seat using the seat selector (on relevant trains where reservations apply)

Bob M

Thanks again.
Do you mean 59? I used to use that from Waterloo to KX, but it now only goes to Euston, and as far as I know you have to change buses to get to KX.

Status
Not open for further replies.