Bassenthwaite Lake Station

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Cheds, 15 Dec 2019.

1. Cheds

Cheds Member

IMG_5451.JPG IMG_5460.JPG IMG_5465.JPG IMG_5421.JPG IMG_5425.JPG IMG_5432.JPG long time no post, but we have moved house and are now very close to the old Bassenthwaite Lake station, part of the Cockermouth Keswick Penrith route across the Lake District. It closed 1966 and has been untouched since and is derelict.
    A local builder/entrepreneur has now bought it and will renovate it into a railway themed cafe and restaurant. The restaurant covers will apparently be in an old railway 'carriage' which is actually part of an old film set. Anyway, the locomotive arrived this afternoon amidst great attention from locals and passers by. Not something you see next to the A66 every day.
    A few iPhone photos are attached.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

What sort of coach is that? It looks European.

4. Cheds

Cheds Member

Apparently was an orient express mock up. Because it was for film it was built wider than standard to make life easier for the film crew.

5. dakta

dakta Member

fair play to him, i used to drive hat part of the A66 a lot and as I learnt more about the history of the lines there I used to look through the trees, in winter you could just about make it out

so yeah, good to see someone doing something with it!

6. AndyY1951

AndyY1951 Member

Any more information on the locomotive? It looks French.

7. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

I believe that it's the mock-up constructed for the 2017 "Murder on the Orient Express" film, as is the carriage. Numbered 241-010 it is indeed based on an SNCF prototype.

It's been in store at a hauliers yard in Longton near Stoke-on-Trent since filming was completed, there's a photo (not mine) with some more information here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/sumpbung/45505991674/in/photostream/

And some detail on how it was constructed here:
    http://modeleng.proboards.com/thread/12223/murder-orient-express-film-build

8. E759

E759 Member

Mock-up of an SNCF 241P built for the film along with the coaches.

9. Engineer

Engineer Member

Such a great thread, thanks so much. I was on the Ullswater Outward Bound Course U110. In June 1966 we canoed across Derwent water , down the rapids joining the lakes , then across Bassenthwaite. Imagine our disappointment when beaching at the Sailing Club, to find the railway closed and disused from a few months earlier in April 1966. We had to catch a bus back to Keswick, at the still open hotel, from the excellent Pheasant Inn opposite; which was the original road route then. Pinewood near my home and other studios sometimes make larger rail carriages and oversize small boats for studio filming action. Please let us all know when the restaurant opens and we will swell the already overcrowded visitor numbers. Be careful to stick to the average speed camera restriction, on the road over the old railway line when visiting.

10. bramling

bramling Established Member

Good to see this, a station which has for some years been in danger of slipping away to nature and decay. Will definitely pay a visit, hopefully coinciding with the reopening of the Keswick railway path.

11. AJM580

AJM580 Member

Great news, hope it is a success

12. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Ah - hah !!!

Problem solved.

I drove past this a couple of days ago, and very nearly ended up off the road as my attention was taken by what I glimpsed in the trees.
    Stopped off on the way back for a closer look, but it was still tipping it down so no images.

I wish them all the very best with the project ...

13. Johnbruce

Johnbruce New Member

Seen it today my wife spotted it as we were going to Cockermouth called later that afternoon to take some photos. What at brilliant project for the local people and railway steam fans

14. SirNigel

SirNigel New Member

I was in Keswick on Wednesday, 15th January 2020, the work is progressing slowly. The old station, now part of an Hotel, is looking a bit sad. 20200115_150459.jpg 20200115_150522.jpg 20200115_150657.jpg 20200115_150900.jpg

15. Brian M

Brian M Member

image.jpeg

....and here in slightly better shape some 50 / 60 years ago

16. Kingspanner

Kingspanner Member

Wow! Doesn't that picture make you want to buy a ticket, jump on, and see where that line goes!

17. philthetube

philthetube Established Member

i think the station looks remarkably good considering

18. mpthomson

mpthomson Member

I agree, it's basically landscaping and vegetation removal that needs to be done, the fabric of the buildings looks pretty good considering.

19. HY_4273

HY_4273 Member

There's a large story and a number of photos of Bassenthwaite Lake Station in the latest issue of Heritage Railway magazine.

20. ian1944

ian1944 Member

The station reminds me of Strathpeffer, with canopy, platform and buildings intact and housing craft shop, transport bookshop and nice cafe when I was there last June.

21. Mills444

Mills444 Member

Too right, is it still accessible as a walkway?