• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bassenthwaite Lake Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheds

IMG_5451.JPG IMG_5460.JPG IMG_5465.JPG IMG_5421.JPG IMG_5425.JPG IMG_5432.JPG long time no post, but we have moved house and are now very close to the old Bassenthwaite Lake station, part of the Cockermouth Keswick Penrith route across the Lake District. It closed 1966 and has been untouched since and is derelict.
A local builder/entrepreneur has now bought it and will renovate it into a railway themed cafe and restaurant. The restaurant covers will apparently be in an old railway 'carriage' which is actually part of an old film set. Anyway, the locomotive arrived this afternoon amidst great attention from locals and passers by. Not something you see next to the A66 every day.
A few iPhone photos are attached.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheds

Apparently was an orient express mock up. Because it was for film it was built wider than standard to make life easier for the film crew.

dakta

fair play to him, i used to drive hat part of the A66 a lot and as I learnt more about the history of the lines there I used to look through the trees, in winter you could just about make it out

so yeah, good to see someone doing something with it!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Any more information on the locomotive? It looks French.
I believe that it's the mock-up constructed for the 2017 "Murder on the Orient Express" film, as is the carriage. Numbered 241-010 it is indeed based on an SNCF prototype.

It's been in store at a hauliers yard in Longton near Stoke-on-Trent since filming was completed, there's a photo (not mine) with some more information here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sumpbung/45505991674/in/photostream/

And some detail on how it was constructed here:
http://modeleng.proboards.com/thread/12223/murder-orient-express-film-build

Engineer

Such a great thread, thanks so much. I was on the Ullswater Outward Bound Course U110. In June 1966 we canoed across Derwent water , down the rapids joining the lakes , then across Bassenthwaite. Imagine our disappointment when beaching at the Sailing Club, to find the railway closed and disused from a few months earlier in April 1966. We had to catch a bus back to Keswick, at the still open hotel, from the excellent Pheasant Inn opposite; which was the original road route then. Pinewood near my home and other studios sometimes make larger rail carriages and oversize small boats for studio filming action. Please let us all know when the restaurant opens and we will swell the already overcrowded visitor numbers. Be careful to stick to the average speed camera restriction, on the road over the old railway line when visiting.

bramling

Veteran Member
Such a great thread, thanks so much. I was on the Ullswater Outward Bound Course U110. In June 1966 we canoed across Derwent water , down the rapids joining the lakes , then across Bassenthwaite. Imagine our disappointment when beaching at the Sailing Club, to find the railway closed and disused from a few months earlier in April 1966. We had to catch a bus back to Keswick, at the still open hotel, from the excellent Pheasant Inn opposite; which was the original road route then. Pinewood near my home and other studios sometimes make larger rail carriages and oversize small boats for studio filming action. Please let us all know when the restaurant opens and we will swell the already overcrowded visitor numbers. Be careful to stick to the average speed camera restriction, on the road over the old railway line when visiting.

Good to see this, a station which has for some years been in danger of slipping away to nature and decay. Will definitely pay a visit, hopefully coinciding with the reopening of the Keswick railway path.

StoneRoad

Ah - hah !!!

Problem solved.

I drove past this a couple of days ago, and very nearly ended up off the road as my attention was taken by what I glimpsed in the trees.
Stopped off on the way back for a closer look, but it was still tipping it down so no images.

I wish them all the very best with the project ...

Johnbruce

Seen it today my wife spotted it as we were going to Cockermouth called later that afternoon to take some photos. What at brilliant project for the local people and railway steam fans

SirNigel

Good to see this, a station which has for some years been in danger of slipping away to nature and decay. Will definitely pay a visit, hopefully coinciding with the reopening of the Keswick railway path.
I was in Keswick on Wednesday, 15th January 2020, the work is progressing slowly. The old station, now part of an Hotel, is looking a bit sad.20200115_150459.jpg 20200115_150522.jpg 20200115_150657.jpg 20200115_150900.jpg

HY_4273

There's a large story and a number of photos of Bassenthwaite Lake Station in the latest issue of Heritage Railway magazine.

ian1944

The station reminds me of Strathpeffer, with canopy, platform and buildings intact and housing craft shop, transport bookshop and nice cafe when I was there last June.

Status
Not open for further replies.