• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bath Spa-Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello,
Wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions to a journey I will be making.
I'm travelling from Bath Spa to Manchester on the 26th of March, and was looking to see if there are any routes other than the ordinary via Bristol and Birmingham or via Newport and the Welsh Marches I could take.
However, I am kinda limited on the cost and don't want to pay more than £25 (I have a Young Person's railcard).
Not bothered about times and can stick to advance tickets - only thing is I don't fancy a via London journey as I am taking a bike and a wheeled suitcase, as such can't get the tube nor cycle across London.
I've already done the Heart of Wales line which was rather nice.
If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
There is Bath-Didcot -Birmingham - Manchester. Not sure about £25 though.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Bath Spa to Manchester via Newport is the cheapest and most sensible option, as this costs £11.25 with a Railcard (if you book the Bath to Newport and Newport to Manchester legs separately) and Newport has lifts which should help with the bike/luggage.

Thanks for the replies. I booked via Newport, seemed easiest. It's a nightmare in this part of the countries as most involve Crosscountry which is so expensive, and the Tube doesn't take bikes!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think you will find a better suggestion than what has been suggested already, taking into account your requirements. £25 will not get you very far and I suspect will not be sufficient if you want to travel on walk-on tickets.

I realise now :( I have to think about the cost of getting back too about two weeks later, open returns allow via Oxford but would be £52, when I can get it for £12 not much point doing anything else!
I got the Heart of Wales for £25 splitting at Swansea, which was a bargain considering the length of the journey!

Starmill

Veteran Member
I realise now :( I have to think about the cost of getting back too about two weeks later, open returns allow via Oxford but would be £52, when I can get it for £12 not much point doing anything else!
I got the Heart of Wales for £25 splitting at Swansea, which was a bargain considering the length of the journey!

That is interesting. So, overall, did HoW cost more or less than the Marches line? Not that the former is in any way practical! haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.