• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bath to Heathrow Terminal 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith300

Hi there,

I want to go from Bath to Heathrow Terminal 5
Leaving 31st March at 5pm
Returning 16th April around 5.30pm
Y-P Railcard

Cheapest I have found so far is splitting at Didcot.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks ,
James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Are you prepared to be tied to specific trains? Are you prepared to travel part of your journey by coach?

Ivo

Established Member
Are you prepared to be tied to specific trains? Are you prepared to travel part of your journey by coach?

The coach is likely to be your best bet for this one. Of all the people I know who live or have lived in this city, all have found it cheaper to travel to Heathrow, and in most cases London itself, by coach. The 403 coach runs roughly twice every three hours from Bays 1 and 2 at the bus station, and usually has some fairly good deals going for Heathrow. If going by train, those are tough to beat owing to either (a) the ridiculous access charges imposed south of Airport Junction or (b) the requirement to travel by coach anyway from Reading.

Having said all that though, consider travelling on a Super Off-Peak Return (SSR) from Bath to Feltham. From there you can use the 490 bus which runs every twelve minutes from the interchange outside Platform 1 right through to Heathrow Terminal 5. The SSR will cost you £30.05; if you can walk to Hatton Cross, you can use the bus for free owing to the Free Travel Zone around the airport (if not it'll be £2 each way I think).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
(if not it'll be £2 each way I think).

£2.30 cash, £1.35 Oyster.

I think this suggestion is sensible. I recommend changing at Reading for Feltham.

If you have luggage, it is best not to walk to Hatton Cross as that will take a while.

What about changing in London and getting the Piccadilly line over to Heathrow T5?

Eagle

Established Member
What about changing in London and getting the Piccadilly line over to Heathrow T5?

The Piccadilly line seems to go via the land where time stands still when you're going to Heathrow. Piccadilly Circus to Heathrow T5 takes 53 minutes, apparently, but it feels like much longer.

rmt-driver

Im assuming you are catching a flight. On that basis Ill suggest AP fares going there but NOT coming back (in case of delay arriving).

Firstly- Bath to Hayes & Harlington (I assume you will be travelling with luggage, therefore I advise to add VIA Iver into the journey details, this simply produces the trains with least changes, i.e. instead of changing at Reading AND Slough, you just change at reading. It adds ten minutes or so but saves aggro of changing trains with luggage. The ticket costs the same) :

At 1713 on 31/3 is £10.55 (£14.85 FC) and gets to H&H at 1910 (depart Bath on the 1713 London Padd train arrives at Reading at 1811- Catch the London Paddington (stopper) departing at 1832 arrives Hayes at 1910).

If you don't mind being early, and want to save £££s get the 1613 arriving at H&H at 1810 (Bath 1613 - 1710 Reading .... 1732 Reading - 1810 Hayes) . This costs £8.90 Std.

Get a Anytime Return with YP H&H to Heathrow for £6.85 train leaves H&H at 1923 arrives at the Airport at 1935 (or 1823 - 1835).

Then get a Super off Peak single with YP from H&H to Bath Spa (NOT London) for 18.55, HOWEVER this only allows on the 1833 from H&H or later (which on the 1833 changing at Reading gets you to Bath at 2029)... Split if you want at Didcot IDK if its worth it !

Total price for that is £35.95 altogether (or £34.30 if you wan't to get the earlier train out of Bath on the outward journey, and get to the airport early).

That isn't bad I don't think....believe me its no fun going by bus or coach to airports, stick to rail services where possible. The worst part will be chaining at H&H over two flights of stairs. I believe at Reading there is a lift

Last edited:

holyflyer

Could I suggest a slightly simpler route : as above but to West Drayton. Then bus 350 to T5 departs from outside the station ( timetable : http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/350.htm ) about every 12 - 20 minutes depending on time of day. Journey time 15 minutes door to door.

BTW its £41.85 return YP railcard Bath to Heathrow T5 (HWX) via Reading and the direct RailAir airport coach on dates and times specified. That's one change and coach to and from terminal door. If you have bags that's a lot less hassle.

Last edited:

jsmith300

Could I suggest a slightly simpler route : as above but to West Drayton. Then bus 350 to T5 departs from outside the station ( timetable : http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/350.htm ) about every 12 - 20 minutes depending on time of day. Journey time 15 minutes door to door.

BTW its £41.85 return YP railcard Bath to Heathrow T5 (HWX) via Reading and the direct RailAir airport coach on dates and times specified. That's one change and coach to and from terminal door. If you have bags that's a lot less hassle.

The problem I came up with was that the return time is not Off Peak.

Thanks for all the help - booked to Feltham - next time will book to West Drayton as that looks quicker and easier! I usually use railair via Reading - was just the peak issue this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.