• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Battersea Park problems (08/06/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
This morning, there were delays from around 0745hrs due to a signalling problem closing 4 of the 5 lines available to Southern/GatEx at Battersea Park. The delays from this cleared by around lunchtime.

These problems have either recurred or another problem has occurred this afternoon (at around 1500hrs). To quote Southern's homepage "yellow box":

Signalling problems at Battersea Park mean that short notice alterations, cancellations and delays of up to 45 minutes may occur to services into and out of Victoria station. In some cases, Victoria services may be diverted to start/terminate at London Bridge.

Gatwick Express services have been reduced to a half-hourly frequency.

We apologise for the inconvenience this will cause.

Does anyone have any further details? I understand the latter problem is very much ongoing.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pendolino

4 of the 6 lines

6? Where did the extra one come from?

From what I could tell having been through there this morning it looked like the down fast was unavailable (and maybe the reversible too). This meant everything leaving Vic had to use the down slow, with some trains crossing from down fast to down slow at Battersea Pier which was holding up trains on the up slow. That's what it looked like anyway.

edit: all that was on top of signal problems at Sutton, trees down on the Epsom Downs branch, and another tree down at Penge West. Not a good day really.

Last edited:

cjohnson

edit: all that was on top of signal problems at Sutton, trees down on the Epsom Downs branch, and another tree down at Penge West. Not a good day really.

A tree on the line at Streatham earlier too.

pendolino

Typo - sorry.

Thanks for your information.

Well I'm only going by what I could see - we don't tend to get told very much anyway! A general call did go out on CSR but it was pretty vague. But I don't think 4 lines were closed; certainly the up & down slow were in use (I drove over them both) and I think the up fast too.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Forgive me, but aren't there 6 lines through Battersea Park? The up fast being without a platform? Not that this is in any way important, but I'm confusing myself here.

pendolino

Forgive me, but aren't there 6 lines through Battersea Park? The up fast being without a platform? Not that this is in any way important, but I'm confusing myself here.

No, only 5*. Up & Down Brighton fast, Up & Down Brighton slow, Brighton reversible (which starts/finishes roughly at the London end of the station). You're right though, there's no platform on the Up Fast.

*Well, you could add the up & down Atlantic making 7 lines, but they're not really relevant to this discussion.

tsr

Established Member
No, only 5*. Up & Down Brighton fast, Up & Down Brighton slow, Brighton reversible (which starts/finishes roughly at the London end of the station). You're right though, there's no platform on the Up Fast.

*Well, you could add the up & down Atlantic making 7 lines, but they're not really relevant to this discussion.

Yes, I believe that this is pretty much the location and a good description of it.

I have heard reports of trains "queuing" to use one line this morning, but I don't know how accurate that is (or was).

Status
Not open for further replies.