• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bay platform at Rochdale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
Never having stopped off in Rochdale before, I had a look around the station today (didn't take long!) and wondered what, if anything, uses the bay platform.
Lo and behold, the train which I returned to catch, the 16.02 to Leeds arrived very late from the north and was terminated at Rochdale, in the bay. Everyone for Manchester was turfed off and the unit then formed the 16.02, departing on time.

However, this must be a quite rare occurrence, does anything normally use the bay platform at Rochdale?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
Nothing is scheduled but as you can see from today it is useful. It gets used by late runners/demics every couple of days if not daily as its part of the official recovery plan. Northern use it if a service from Leeds gets to over 30 mins of delay it goes back the way it came at Rochdale. Every one in Manchester just has to lump it!

Last edited:

bradford758

The bay platform was used for the Rochdale to Manchester via Oldham route, but of course only trains starting there used it as most trains ran through from Manchester v. Moston.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is a plan to put in a new bay platform, but in the other direction i.e. from Manchester.
The present stoppers continue to Blackburn or Leeds v. Brighouse.
There are no current plans to run a Manchester V. to Rochdale service, but the idea is to run some trains that currently terminate at Manchester V to run through to Rochdale to release platform space at the former.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I used the bay platform recently when going to Man Vic because of track work so trains from Leeds were turned round there - first time I'd used it

Last edited:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Before the Oldham loop was closed for tramstitution the east facing bay saw fairly regular use during Sunday engineering works. Went in there plenty of times.

dggar

The bay platform was used for the Rochdale to Manchester via Oldham route, but of course only trains starting there used it as most trains ran through from Manchester v. Moston.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is a plan to put in a new bay platform, but in the other direction i.e. from Manchester.
The present stoppers continue to Blackburn or Leeds v. Brighouse.
There are no current plans to run a Manchester V. to Rochdale service, but the idea is to run some trains that currently terminate at Manchester V to run through to Rochdale to release platform space at the former.

It's already been put in

bradford758

I thought this thread would be about the new bay but the gentleman only mentioned the old bay, so assumed that was the only one at the time of traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.