[BBC] Canals could 'cut transport cost'

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,103
Location
Scunthorpe
Using London's canal network to move freight could help ease traffic congestion and halve transport costs, a new study has found.
The report by British Waterways and Transport for London examined how the Grand Union Canal in west London could be developed to carry freight.

Reviving the canal transport network would also reduce pollution and accidents involving lorries, it found.

It examined two sections either side of the 26-mile Camden-to-Slough stretch.

The study highlighted the need to develop access to the water and create up to five key interchange points between the canal and road network.

An estimated 640,000 tonnes of waste, recycling and building materials could be carried on canal barges every year.

Mark Bensted, British Waterways' director for London, welcomed the study's findings.

"This report represents an entirely new approach to the challenge of reviving commercial traffic on London's canals," he said.

"We are not underestimating the challenges ahead, but this report clearly shows that we are on the right track."

Another study into moving commercial waste by barge from an industrial site in Park Royal, north-west London is under way.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4420802.stm
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,734
The BBC said:
...help ease traffic congestion

So they want to cut down on road traffic, yet they plan to build five interchange points with the road network:

The BBC also said:
The study highlighted the need to develop access to the water and create up to five key interchange points between the canal and road network.

How on earth does that make sense, when the canal runs next to several stretches of railway line in places like Brentford (which already has a small freight facility only feet away from the canal), Old Oak Common and indeed Park Royal?
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,369
Location
Cardiff
Seth said:
...the canal runs next to several stretches of railway line in places like Brentford (which already has a small freight facility only feet away from the canal), Old Oak Common and indeed Park Royal?

Yes, but maybe the freight lines don't go to the places the the freight needs to be carried to. I think this sounds like a good idea, which I'm sure could remove lorries from parts of the road network already under pressure from heavy traffic.
 

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,555
laverack222 said:
Seth said:
...the canal runs next to several stretches of railway line in places like Brentford (which already has a small freight facility only feet away from the canal), Old Oak Common and indeed Park Royal?

Yes, but maybe the freight lines don't go to the places the the freight needs to be carried to. I think this sounds like a good idea, which I'm sure could remove lorries from parts of the road network already under pressure from heavy traffic.

But as all the lines are connected together :roll: ;) .
 

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,737
Another interesting reply from me ;)

During the Summer, I went by Rail to visit my Uncle who had a Boat in West Drayton (LU Zone 6). We had a wonderful day out on his Boat from Yiewsley on the Grand Union Canal towards Uxbridge. Along the way we met the 'Gravel Man' who transported about 6 tons of Gravel into London via the Canal. After speaking to him and helping him with the Locks he told me that it was in an effort to relieve traffic congestion and to give the canals a boost.

However I don't see that the idea will take off as it would only be good for transporting Heavy Things such as Coal, Gravel etc. Most customers want Packaged Goods ASAP and by using Road/Rail it could be done almost twice as fast than Water.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
18,101
Location
0035
But don't forget, just as the roads have their hayday now, the railways did before that, and before that it was the canals.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top