• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC: Coronavirus: UK lockdown solidarity 'starting to fray'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Not routinely.

But in future more general wearing of a mask when you're out and about whilst feeling under the weather wouldn't be a bad outcome of all of this rather than the "traditional" approach of sneezing and snorting all over the fresh veg in the supermarket.
Can't say I've ever seen anyone do that but those fiddling with their masks then handle fruit and veg depositing large viral loads onto them?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
Not routinely.

But in future more general wearing of a mask when you're out and about whilst feeling under the weather wouldn't be a bad outcome of all of this rather than the "traditional" approach of sneezing and snorting all over the fresh veg in the supermarket.

A better policy would be to guarantee worker rights to allow people to stay at home without the risk of being fired or being financially affected. I can promise you there would be far more compliance for that than wearing masks.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
God, I hope not. Interaction via facial expression is fundamental to what makes us human.
The government had better be prepared if there is civil unrest in the future, because people looting and committing arson will be much harder to identify when wearing ‘everyday’ masks.
Oh, and if as rumoured, they mandate the wearing of gloves, culprits won’t be leaving too many fingerprints either...
I've already noticed problems with interaction (though this may be better for the face covering discussion thread). Miscommunication and arguments seem to happen much more readily between people wearing masks. The prospect of this becoming the new normal for the rest of my life is so utterly terrifying I'm trying not to think about it - I do not want to live in some masked dystopia.

I do wonder though (returning to the thread topic) if seeing each other as walking biohazards will have a long lasting impact on cohesion. It's difficult to have much solidarity with people who you consider a constant threat, and that's how we're encouraged to see others.

DB

I do wonder though (returning to the thread topic) if seeing each other as walking biohazards will have a long lasting impact on cohesion. It's difficult to have much solidarity with people who you consider a constant threat, and that's how we're encouraged to see others.

Yes, does does indeed seem to be a risk - and one which the government has completely ignored.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I used a bus yesterday, and the driver was masked even though he was behind a plastic screen. So with my mask and these two other barriers, it took three attempts for him to understand where I wished to go.
We both laughed about the absurdity of the situation. At least I think he laughed, but without seeing his mouth, I couldn’t be sure

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I once worked in a supermarket, and prepare to be surprised.
Don’t most people take the precaution of washing their shop-bought fruit and vegetables before consuming them? My missus always does, as it’s always been possible other hands have touched them

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not routinely.

Yes, I think we could learn from the Asians there.

A better policy would be to guarantee worker rights to allow people to stay at home without the risk of being fired or being financially affected. I can promise you there would be far more compliance for that than wearing masks.

Yes, I'd increase SSP to be much closer to full pay (maybe 80%?) for at least the first two weeks.

westv

Established Member
Don’t most people take the precaution of washing their shop-bought fruit and vegetables before consuming them? My missus always does, as it’s always been possible other hands have touched them
And veg is heated anyway.

westv

Established Member
And, apparently, the Japanese sniff and snort all the time when masked and full of mucus rather than blowing their noses. Shall we all do that too?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Having said that, I've read that one big difference is how we communicate non-verbally. Many Asian cultures use their eyes heavily in facial expressions, but we tend to use our mouth more. Clearly there are bigger fish to fry at the moment, but it's one reason why long term mask wearing might be less suitable here than elsewhere.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And, apparently, the Japanese sniff and snort all the time when masked and full of mucus rather than blowing their noses. Shall we all do that too?

That's fairly unpleasant but isn't going to spread anything. But your point isn't really valid, anyway, because just because one thing another country does is good does not mean everything they do is good. For instance, we might well be able to learn a lot about food and wine from the Italians, but probably quite a lot less about engineering.

AdamWW

Established Member
That's fairly unpleasant but isn't going to spread anything. But your point isn't really valid, anyway, because just because one thing another country does is good does not mean everything they do is good. For instance, we might well be able to learn a lot about food and wine from the Italians, but probably quite a lot less about engineering.

They seem to have done all right when it comes to tilting trains.

AdamWW

Established Member
Although we did the majority of work on it then gave up rather than refine it!!!

I'd love to think that we were getting our old technology back, slightly refined, but I've never found a definitive answer to that one either way.

(Though I think this might be getting just a little off topic now).

Status
Not open for further replies.