• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC Documentary 'The Railways'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Found an old info bulletin today from December 2011 and it had a piece in it about the BBC filming a documentary called 'The Railways', about day-to-day work, filming up to April '12 and to be broadcast in 2013. It specifically mentioned Kings Cross and Paddington as filming locations.

Anyone know any more about this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wessex

A quick google search threw this facebook info up

Century Films are currently making a major documentary series about the rail network. Told from the point-of-view of staff and passengers, it’s exploring the upgrade of stations and tracks, the problems that bad weather can cause, the impact of crime… just about every aspect of daily railway life!

As part of this I'm very keen to get in contact with people who regularly commute into Paddington (First Great Western trains). The upgrade work that’s happening on this route is a big focus for the series, and we want to include the experience of passengers as well.

So if you travel in and out of London Paddington, be it from Reading or Bristol or somewhere in-between, do get in touch. My email is [email protected] and my mobile number is 07775 942866.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rob McCabe

dated 14th Jan 2012

the sniper

Established Member
Bizarrely I was going to ask about this yesterday! :o

I heard about this last year, though I was under the impression that it was supposed to broadcast late this year, which obviously hasn't happened. Maybe I was wrongly informed or broadcast was pushed back to 2013. Anyway, the details from last year were:

-That it is/was supposed to be a 6 part documentary.
-The focus is on NR, though would cover 'partner agencies' too, including BTP.
-It was a NR 'managed' project.
-Fillming was due to start in Autumn 2011 and last 6 months, so basically fitting in with your bulletin.
-As Wessex points out, made by Century films.
-What I saw gave the impression that it was going to be covering all sorts of places, not just the South.

Should be good whenever it turns up. I imagine it'll be a mix of The Tube, Rail Cops and that one off late 80's BR documentary that used to be on You Tube, the one that followed what was the equivalent of a MOM dealing with various issues on NSE. It started with him attending some over running engineering works (and showed TCS/Control response), he went out to a signal failure and attended a fatality. Annoyingly I can't find it now so can only post that vague description!

Ahaha its finally popped up, Ive got a friend who works at East Coast telling me about the BBC Crew filming, you will Probably see her on the programme, anyway I hope its good recent BBC Railway programmes have been very interesting :)

jon0844

Veteran Member
I remember posters at KGX warning that you might be filmed.

Pumbaa

Established Member
They've also been at Leeds, Lime St and New St for prolonged periods.

tsr

Established Member
Perhaps the documentary will be like 'the tube' last year about LU?

If it's half that good, it'll be worth watching by a lot of people's standards.

A high number of people who previously were completely bored by or did not care about LU have suddenly started talking to me about the whole system and actively being really rather interested since The Tube (I may have said this before!).

D365

Veteran Member
Perhaps the documentary will be like 'the tube' last year about LU?

If it's half that good, it'll be worth watching by a lot of people's standards.

A high number of people who previously were completely bored by or did not care about LU have suddenly started talking to me about the whole system and actively being really rather interested since The Tube (I may have said this before!).

I'll be looking forward to this then, always enjoy a good documentary :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
The bulletin mainly warned us to avoid the cameras! Oh well, wasn't working then so I'm ok!

I never saw any cameras but who knows, I might be in some background footage somewhere!

Funny how staff can moan at you or I with a camera at a station, yet didn't have a problem letting a film crew film passengers without their knowledge for broadcast around the world (rest assured, BBC Worldwide will probably make a fair few quid selling this overseas). :D

Crossforth

Established Member
I shall also look out for myself as a commuter and an S&T worker but I've never seen any cameras

LCC106

Established Member
It may be a different documentary but there were some people in Leeds messroom talking about something similar to the assembled crowd. Pretty sure this was between July and September though...

A-driver

Established Member
Not sure if its related but there was a bbc film crew at kings cross talking to staff around this time last year. They walked into the FCC drivers messroom and were quickly followed in and ushered out again by management before they had a chance to talk to anyone!

Found an old info bulletin today from December 2011 and it had a piece in it about the BBC filming a documentary called 'The Railways', about day-to-day work, filming up to April '12 and to be broadcast in 2013. It specifically mentioned Kings Cross and Paddington as filming locations.

Anyone know any more about this?

Nothing can beat the BBC Railwatch programe of 1989

They've also been at Leeds, Lime St and New St for prolonged periods.

Wow North of Watford Gap , bet they dare not go into Lincolnshire :lol:

Firestarter

Bizarrely I was going to ask about this yesterday! :o

I heard about this last year, though I was under the impression that it was supposed to broadcast late this year, which obviously hasn't happened. Maybe I was wrongly informed or broadcast was pushed back to 2013. Anyway, the details from last year were:

-That it is/was supposed to be a 6 part documentary.
-The focus is on NR, though would cover 'partner agencies' too, including BTP.
-It was a NR 'managed' project.
-Fillming was due to start in Autumn 2011 and last 6 months, so basically fitting in with your bulletin.
-As Wessex points out, made by Century films.
-What I saw gave the impression that it was going to be covering all sorts of places, not just the South.

Should be good whenever it turns up. I imagine it'll be a mix of The Tube, Rail Cops and that one off late 80's BR documentary that used to be on You Tube, the one that followed what was the equivalent of a MOM dealing with various issues on NSE. It started with him attending some over running engineering works (and showed TCS/Control response), he went out to a signal failure and attended a fatality. Annoyingly I can't find it now so can only post that vague description!

British Rail: Old, Dirty and Late

anthony263

Established Member
The BBC are also filming another series of the tube according to what has been said by staff over on the district dave forum.

I look forward to this new 2nd series particulary if it is anything like the 1st series then I am sure the bbc are onto another winner.

spacehopper

Having a proper gander at the East Coast propaganda rubbish- it appears that they filmed a pilot and are now starting to film a full series from March. East Coast staff are being invited to apply to appear on the show (via X Factor style auditons :p )

(this is the one going to be on Sky)

Last edited:

Andrewlong

FGW/NR on the lines out of Paddington will have plenty of incidence to dwell over the last month including floods, suicides, signal failures etc etc

BestWestern

Established Member
Having a proper gander at the East Coast propaganda rubbish- it appears that they filmed a pilot and are now starting to film a full series from March. East Coast staff are being invited to apply to appear on the show (via X Factor style auditons :p )

(this is the one going to be on Sky)

Indeed - "one of the biggest and most complex transport networks in Britain" - really?!

davido39

I also wish there was a way of watching Railwatch again. I have fond memories of Railwatch and did record the whole event but as with all things I mislaid my copy. I love the theme tune, I even remember Mike Smith calling Rob Curling Rapping Rob Curling. Did I imagine it or was the driver who featured on Railwatch in the Rail Magazine that covered Railfest and the naming of the 91?

Mike Smith, Penny Bunting, Paul Coia, and Rob Curling, and not to mention the star of the show 43108 named BBC Television Railwatch resplendent in (in my opinion) the best livery carried by the HST, Intercity Swallow. :D

I actually saw a cameraman at York station on the last day of filming. Fond fond memories.

Oh and on the subject of trying to find Railwatch, there are a few clips knocking around Youtube, alas not the whole 5 day series though.

tsr

Established Member
Indeed - "one of the biggest and most complex transport networks in Britain" - really?!

That struck me as odd, too! If that's how they describe the East Coast "network", what words would they propose describe the likes of South London, some areas of the West Midlands or the Tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.