• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC Local Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't listen to local radio; it's rubbish. I have Radio 2 on until 7pm, and then put the TV on when Radio 2 starts playing rubbish music.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheNewNo2

I used to listen to BBC Radio Bristol on the drive in to school, but nowadays I just find local news (of any variety) all very saccharine.

radamfi

Established Member
For me, I live in the BBC Three Counties area but never listen to it; it's dull and very parochial.

Even Iain Lee at breakfast? Admittedly he is somewhat constrained by having to cover local stories, but it is clear he tries to push the format to the limit.

His BBC WM show on Friday and Saturday was the closest we have been to a completely light-hearted phone-in since Iain left Absolute a few years ago but that ended a few weeks ago.

However, I quite like Allan Beswick's late night phone on on BBC Radio Manchester.

I grew up with Allan Beswick in the 80s when he was properly controversial on Red Rose Radio, which was then replaced by James Whale when simulcasted with Radio Aire from Leeds from around 1987. His current show is very serious, nothing like the exciting and controversial show from the 80s.

MrCub

Even Iain Lee at breakfast? Admittedly he is somewhat constrained by having to cover local stories, but it is clear he tries to push the format to the limit.

His BBC WM show on Friday and Saturday was the closest we have been to a completely light-hearted phone-in since Iain left Absolute a few years ago but that ended a few weeks ago.

I can't stand Iain Lee. His format is fine for radio but not for a local breakfast show. I find him terribly difficult to listen to.

Ploughman

Established Member
In the 70s the radio was always on either 247 Radio 1 or any local station I could pick up.
In Southport that usually meant Piccadilly or Merseyside. On 261 and 194.
When I moved to York then I got into Radio York and stayed with them for about 10 years but then with cast changes I then became a confirmed Radio 2 listener.
When working on Track Renewals I used to work very irregular hours, often in the office on a morning then having to go on nights.
The result of that was I often got to hear every presenter on R2 over a 24 hour period.
Including those who only have a 1 hour slot.

I don't usually bother with commercial stations now due to the amount of ads, same with TV ITV usually gets recorded if there is something I want to watch.

Last edited:

bicbasher

Established Member
I only tune into BBC London for travel news. The programming is too cliquey for me.

I get BBC Surrey on my radio as well which is slightly better, but again rarely listen.

SS4

Established Member
I always assumed that the Klaxon and excellent football coverage was common to all BBC local radio, but in my subsequent travels around the country, there's nothing to beat WM.

Disappointing isn't it? Leaving WM's area and suffering a dearth of coverage.

Qwerty133

Established Member
I don't think there's anything aimed at people of my generation (or the 3 before it) on BBC Leicester...
I don't think they even have a drive time show but a tea time show because all the listeners are long retired.
So the answer is no.

Tracked

Established Member
Used to listen to the BBC Introducing thing when it was on Radio Sheffield on a Thursday night, some good local bands on that sometimes.

Then they moved it to Saturday night ...:? can never be bothered with listen again

flymo

Established Member
Being an occasional visitor to UK these days I prefer Radio 2 as it plays the sort of music I like. When in Newcastle I will listen to local radio in the form of Radio Newcastle at weekends and to listen to the football if out driving.

I did get a taste for Smooth Radio when last back a few weeks ago but hated the once unmissable (to me... forgive me I was younger then...) Metro Radio which is hideously awful now.

When around the country I will try the local radio stations though.

bicbasher

Established Member
In all honesty, the only radio I really listen to is those Absolute ones on digital, the stations that do 80s, 90s etc, another one which launched on digital recently called Jack which has a sarcastic voiceover bloke and tons of music (it's on FM in Oxford apparently) or LBC or the LBC London News rolling news station.

dgl

Established Member
In all honesty, the only radio I really listen to is those Absolute ones on digital, the stations that do 80s, 90s etc, another one which launched on digital recently called Jack which has a sarcastic voiceover bloke and tons of music (it's on FM in Oxford apparently) or LBC or the LBC London News rolling news station.

We had jack down here on the south coast (has been replaced my Sam FM same station, same output, same presenters, same theme) and it's really rather good (106.0 from chillerton down).

Have started listening to radio solent a lot, good mix of programs and the phone in presenter mid morning is always a laugh (if a bit close to the mark with some of his ideas sometimes)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
BBC Local Radio is particularly popular where there is a very strong sense of local identity, such as Cornwall, Merseyside and Norfolk where they could get over 10% of the listening share

http://www.rajar.co.uk/listening/quarterly_listening.php

They tend to do less well in the major conurbations and in the South East.

I know very few (well, none actually) of non-Cornish born who listen to Radio Cornwall, though I had a friend, long dead, who wasn't Cornish who used to regularly listen and take part in their competitions : they often used to ring her to beg her to take part so they had more than one person participating!

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I do like my local BBC Three Counties. It joins together with BBC Radio Northampton on Saturdays mornings 9 am for Treasure Quest, an excellent family-friendly, funny and very entertaining start to my weekend. I'm a TQ junkie! Highly recommended.

Presenter JVS also has a phone-in show and consumer hour prog on weekday mornings; he's a very talented man!

I can't stand Iain Lee. His format is fine for radio but not for a local breakfast show. I find him terribly difficult to listen to.

I like him at first, but now he just gets on my nerves. He can be very childish and repetitive.

If I'm anywhere on the M6 between Rugby and Stafford in the car on a Saturday afternoon, it has to be BBC WM.

Der-dar-der-dah ITS A GOAL!!!

Ahh, that takes me back. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.