• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[BBC News] "Trains outside London are 'cast-offs' MPs say"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
As the 456s are 2 car and the 455s are 4 car, it wouldn't be a bad idea to send 455s and 456s North in lieu of 319s as that would then allow 2, 4, 6 or 8 car formations opposed to 4 car or 8, with 8 not being possible due to infrastructure restraints.

Interesting Freudian(?;)) slip there? The two classes you mention are both third rail only and the 455s are (much!) older than the 319s....

I know you meant 465/466 by the way... While I know that 465s were successfully converted to 365s I am unsure if anyone has even tried to do the same to a 466....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Interesting Freudian(?;)) slip there? The two classes you mention are both third rail only and the 455s are (much!) older than the 319s....

I know you meant 465/466 by the way... While I know that 465s were successfully converted to 365s I am unsure if anyone has even tried to do the same to a 466....

Too little sleep last night!

I was thinking the Southeastern 465/6s very similar to the 323s but of course they don't have pantographs.

Of course it was you who jokingly suggested they could go North when they get on a bit when there are no suitable routes for them as DC only.

BestWestern

Established Member
I apologise for not taking your northern comments in the good natured manner they were intended, you cider drinking farmer boy you! :lol:

Anyway, I do agree with the refurb comment. I'm currently sat on board a 158, again with ripped upholstery (quite possibly the same as before) and with a good refurb, similar to the EMT 158's, they would look a lot better.

Pacers would look a lot better up here if they had high back seating similar to our 144's. Whilst I'm no big fan of 144's, I don't share the same hate of them as I do the 142's.

I lived in Liverpool when the Merseyrail stock was being refurbished and to be honest, I could see why people thought they were new trains. Their refurb was fantastic, and if Northern could achieve similar on their trains, there would be less moaning from us.

Ah, but you should see the farmer's wife ;D

I do wonder if the darling DfT could be persuaded to generate a grant for Northern, perhaps as a sort of 'compensation' for the stupidly short sighted no growth franchise idea, to enable a substantial overhaul of the full fleet. Perhaps a striking new livery and a publicity campaign, and some sort of 'big feature' for passengers to appreciate - how about free wifi across the whole fleet? A poster strapline 'Making a better railway' or something similar would be a nod of acknowledgement that things need to improve, and this is a start.

Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member
Too little sleep last night!

I was thinking the Southeastern 465/6s very similar to the 323s but of course they don't have pantographs.

Of course it was you who jokingly suggested they could go North when they get on a bit when there are no suitable routes for them as DC only.

My bold

Guilty as charged and at least you saw the intended humour!

anti-pacer

Established Member
Ah, bumt you should see the farmer's wife ;D

I do wonder if the darling DfT could be persuaded to generate a grant for Northern, perhaps as a sort of 'compensation' for the stupidly short sighted no growth franchise idea, to enable a substantion overhaul of the full fleet. Perhaps a striking new livery and a publicity campaign, and some sort of 'big feature' for passengers to appreciate - how about free wifi across the whole fleet? A poster strapline 'Making a better railway' or something similar would be a nod of acknowledgement that things need to improve, and this is a start.

Photos of the farmers wife gladly welcome! Haha.

I like your suggestions and I wish the DfT would step up a bit. However, I also think Northern should too. It's nice that Northern do offers like their £10 unlimited travel for a day, but making their trains more attractive to its passengers would be nicer.

Last edited:

arty762

i would like to point out that SouthWest Trains 455s 30 odd years old, the 458/0s are 15-16 yrs old and the 158/9s are getting on for 30yrs old, same for the 456s , and Southerns 455s.

AM9

Veteran Member
Photos of the farmers wife gladly welcome! Haha.

I like your suggestions and I wish the DfT would step up a bit. However, I also think Northern should too. It's nice that Northern do offers like their £10 unlimited travel for a day, but making their trains more attractive to its passengers would be nicer.

If Northern is struggling with capacity at the moment, why spend money to encourage even more people to overload that resource?

Wolfie

Established Member
i would like to point out that SouthWest Trains 455s 30 odd years old, the 458/0s are 15-16 yrs old and the 158/9s are getting on for 30yrs old, same for the 456s , and Southerns 455s.

Don't let the facts get in the way of politicians on a pre-election rant/attempted vote catch - the geographic make-up of constituencies represented by members of the committee has already been noted.....

pemma

Veteran Member

Network Rail claim EMUs have a shelf-life of 35 years and DMUs have a shelf-life of 25 years with life extension work possible to lengthen the life of trains. So given the 158/9s at SWT have had a lot of work done to them I don't think any of the trains you mention are in need of imminent replacement.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Network Rail claim EMUs have a shelf-life of 35 years and DMUs have a shelf-life of 25 years with life extension work possible to lengthen the life of trains. So given the 158/9s at SWT have had a lot of work done to them I don't think any of the trains you mention are in need of imminent replacement.

There's that thing again. Work done to them. That's the difference. SWT take pride in their stock and do things like refurbishment and maintenance, and that most basic of things, cleaning. Northern, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.