• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC On This Day: the BBC Nationwide InterCity train

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
My Facebook has come up with this link to a clip from the BBC On This Day page showing the special Nationwide InterCity train in 1977, which was presumably set up to enable the team from the BBC's Nationwide news and current affairs programme to tour the country:

Unfortunately you may not be able to access the link if you're not on Facebook.

It has a rare view of the interior of a Mark 1 sleeping car (unfortunately only showing the view towards the corridor, not towards the window and the washbasin).

Does anyone know which locos and coaches were used on this train, whether the sleeping cars used on it were withdrawn or returned to normal service after the train was disbanded, what the laboratory/studio coaches were used for before and after being used for this purpose, and how long the train ran for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Mk2 catering coach???? More than a bit bespoke
Not sure it is a Mark 2 but it obviously was fitted out specially - BR has a set of 'exhibition' coaches that used to be stabled at Salisbury. I imagine it is one of those.

randyrippley

Established Member
Not sure it is a Mark 2 but it obviously was fitted out specially - BR has a set of 'exhibition' coaches that used to be stabled at Salisbury. I imagine it is one of those.

from the inside it looks like mk2 fixed windows

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The train seems to be 73+BG+Exhibition Coach+2 sleeping coaches+some further exhibition coaches in the video at 3:00 - the second doesn't appear to have the rounded ends of a Mk2 and is heavily rebuilt (no gangways) - appreciate the rebuilt windows but they could be inserted in a Mk 1 frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.