• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC: Rail tunnel between Siberia & Alaska...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalmahoyhill

Couldnt help but giggle. THis one really is a pipe dream. The amount of track to be laid either side is huge. It connects onto the BAM (line around the north of Lake Baikal) which was started in 1943 as a secondary trans siberian away from the chinses border and it eat up money for 60 years. Yakutsk is hard to get to in summer as the perma frost thaws, This requires 100s km of track over tundra in the middle of nowhere.
it just doesnt stack up economically.

you wouldnt need to go under the Darien gap, its low lying I thought but it is swamp.Ask scots about trying to develop it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Holly

... you wouldnt need to go under the Darien gap, its low lying I thought but it is swamp. Ask scots about trying to develop it!
Two reasons why you need to go under the Darién Gap.
1. It's a nature reserve and needs to stay that way.
2. It's totally lawless there and it would be near impossible to guard the full length. Defending two ends would be easy enough though.

It is a mixture of swamp, jungle and mountains.

Gordon

This is one of those railway chestnuts. It surfaces from time to time, same as the Irish Sea tunnel and north to south Africa.

It would be little used for passenger traffic as it is so far from populated areas. Could be useful for freight but not convinced

ReverendFozz

Welcome on thr 10:30 to New York, calling at all stations to the Bering Strait, Juneau, Anchorage, all stations to New York...We are scheduled to arrive sometime in the next few weeks...I cant see this happening, does the US and Russia trust each other enough to let it happen

Status
Not open for further replies.