• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC "Red Button" text service supposedly ending in January 2020...Now semi-reprieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
I used to feel an old fogey because I didn't see the need to get the latest model of mobile phone every year.
No, that's reasonable as often this year's model doesn't offer anything other than the fact that it's new.

As an example, I currently use a Galaxy S8 and I can't see that the later models offer anything significantly better, certainly not enough to upgrade.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Though the telephone can of course do that too, and I still see videoconf (as distinct from screenshare) as a bit of a gimmick.
To each their own, I guess, but I genuinely couldn't do my job (trainer in an organisation with offices on three continents) without video conferencing, and now that we're all working from home it has helped my local team stay in contact (the ones who I would normally see in the office daily).

Outside of work I don't video call much, but those friends that I do video call with feel much closer than those with whom I don't.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
It is now mid-April and the existing service is still functioning, albeit without the "travel" section which is unsurprising considering Governmental Covid-19 travel advice.
Hearing daily traffic reports on local radio in the mornings is currently rather odd: it's largely "everything's clear (except roadworks at X), but the Government advice is not to travel anyway".

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
How much exactly did the BBC reckon they'd save by discontinuing their "Red Button" text service?

RichT54

I've noticed in the last few weeks that the entry page (page 100) only has one entry "Exit" in the menu. I don't know if it was done accidentally, or perhaps it was deliberate to deter people from using the service and thus make it easier to justify closing it down. It doesn't prevent me, as I know the numbers of the pages I want to look at.

Bobdogs

BBC are also ending their on line cricket text service in 2021 while continuing to spend a fortune on the premier league and F1.

najaB

Veteran Member
BBC are also ending their on line cricket text service in 2021 while continuing to spend a fortune on the premier league and F1.
I wasn't aware F1 was on the BBC, must've missed it while I was watching Channel 4.

RichT54

I wasn't aware F1 was on the BBC, must've missed it while I was watching Channel 4.

The only live F1 coverage I'm aware of on the BBC is the text and audio commentary available through their website and sometimes on Radio 5 Live. It must cost something to produce, but nowhere near as much as live TV coverage.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member

They are running short of money after purchasing rights to Seniors Snooker, Badminton, Quoits, Squash and Hurling.

infobleep

Veteran Member
They are running short of money after purchasing rights to Seniors Snooker, Badminton, Quoits, Squash and Hurling.
I not seen any of those. I imagine they will either be on red button / online or perhaps BBC 2 with maybe the Hurling on BBC Ulster.

I had to look up Quoits. I guess some would say the BBC should cover monitory things and leave the major things to others. So these would fit in. Saying this I wouldn't want Test Match Special to end.

Bobdogs

I was referring to radio. Back to the text service, once you've found your known number page on red button, you can still use the blue button index.

Howardh

Established Member
The Red Button service is one that I have always found handy when watching TV is for the sport latest scores, match results/league tables etc that I might want to access without the need to use other modes, as well as UK and overseas news, road and rail travel information and UK and overseas weather information.
Agree. The internet is quite difficult to navigate to find exactly what you want, but the red button has everything there in one place, is easy to navigate and quick. Eg, if you want the league table for the third tier, it's there!
Note, with the BBC sport website, if you want a certain league tabel it asks you to physically provide it's name, something I find difficult as names (eg vanarama) and numbers (league 2??) are changing and confusing, and there's no drop-down menu.
I use flashscores.co.uk and espn.co.uk to get me the fixtures, scores, gates etc quickly.

mmh

Established Member
Nearly the end of September now and the BBC Red Button text service still is running.

Sadly a shadow of its former self though. It's a great example of BBC inefficiency if that's the line one wanted to take. A lot of money spent in the name of efficiency, probably more than has been saved. Plus ca change.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Has anyone recently or ever experienced a problem when the word "loading" appears, which then seems to lock-down the service?
Yes. Just need to switch off the text and then back on again. Usually happens on pages with lots of sub pages.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Decision (partly) reversed - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54360998 - content will be reduced but the service will be retained.
Interesting.

Worth noting that the Red Button stream service for Glastonbury doesn't include much live coverage during the day.

I assume but perhaps incorrectly, that this is due to the potential for someone to swear on stage. It seems this rule doesn't apply online so they can provide online coverage with a swearing warning only..

If anyone knows different then please correct.

talltim

Established Member
If it's any consolation I have never used the red button (indeed until I just now Googled it I didn't know what it was) and yet I have survived the last twenty years relatively happy, healthy, wealthy and wise. OK, you might want to argue with the "wise".
Me too. Although our telly is rarely used as a ‘telly’ anyway, it’s either an Xbox monitor or the screen for the Netflix app

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Me too. Although our telly is rarely used as a ‘telly’ anyway, it’s either an Xbox monitor or the screen for the Netflix app

This gives an insight into the change of habits of people over the years (I am 75) with your "Telly-use" information above and recent postings on websites that state "smart (?)" phones seem to be used for any purpose besides phone usage these days.

In my much younger days, I cannot recall long queues outside the iconic red telephone boxes, with people clutching their four old pennies in order to insert them and press button "A" to make their telephone calls.

talltim

Established Member
I use my laptop to make more phone calls than I do my smartphone!

bearhugger

:D
My kids keep going on about getting an internet enabled fridge so they can play Minecraft on it....
Seriously? Can this be done? My understanding of internet enabled things was so things like vending machines would charge slightly more for drinks on hot days etc. What is the point of an internet enabled fridge? What does the fridge do? WhatsApp other fridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.