• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC "Red Button" text service supposedly ending in January 2020...Now semi-reprieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
That's a question that's been in search of an answer for about the last 20 years!
Allows you to know when food is about to go off by reading a microchip on the food that has its best before date on it, in some future where they put microchips on packaging

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In November 2020, the BBC intend to cease certain "sport-related" items on the BBC Red Button text service, stating there are other parts of the BBC network where these can be found.

Has anyone recently noticed that Sunday seems to be a day when major sports scores on that day are now totally ignored on the BBC Red Button text service? All that seems to be shown are the fixtures due to be played on Sundays.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Has anyone recently noticed that Sunday seems to be a day when major sports scores on that day are now totally ignored on the BBC Red Button text service? All that seems to be shown are the fixtures due to be played on Sundays.

I’ll be honest - no!

I find the BBC website much easier, quicker and better informed. My father doesn’t agree.

RichT54

I just checked the red button text service on my TV, tuned to Freesat channel 704 (Radio 4) and it looks like it's showing today's football results?

Last edited:

RichT54

We are just on the basic Freeview package that came pre-installed with the television set.

OK, I switched my TV to Freeview, set the 'Type' to Radio and selected channel 704 (which is also Radio 4) and the contents of the sports pages looked identical to those on Freesat.

The only difference was having to set the 'Type' to Radio, which is not necessary on Freesat as it has all the TV and Radio channels grouped together.

The main reason I use a radio channel when looking at text is that you don't get the small inset picture from a TV channel which I find incredibly distracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.