• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC reporting of Electrification announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Goddard

Established Member
Another two faux-pas for the BBC.

Over the weekend, following talk of the MML electrification, a series of shots was used to illustrate the MML at Sheffield.
The problem - Virtually all of the views from the one minute or so sequence were of Pacers coming and going from Sheffield station - we only got a couple of glimpses of Meridian stock sitting in the platforms.

Today- A BBC reporter has just been seen live at St Pancras station, saying that "he was standing where the Midland Main Line starts".
The problem - he was standing at the gateline to the South Eastern platforms, with Class 395s behind him- not a MML train in sight!

How many more times do we have to endure basic mistakes like this being made by the BBC?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Today- A BBC reporter has just been seen live at St Pancras station, saying that "he was standing where the Midland Main Line starts".
The problem - he was standing at the gateline to the South Eastern platforms, with Class 395s behind him- not a MML train in sight!

How many more times do we have to endure basic mistakes like this being made by the BBC?
It's quite possible that the SE concourse was less busy than the EMT one, and so they were asked to use that area to stop getting in the way of passengers!

table38

Established Member
On the local news at Lunchtime they had a guy on P14 at Manchester Piccadilly saying we were getting two more platforms so that "trains didn't need to stop at Piccadilly" :)

(with a caption which looked like the approach to Clapham Junction along with 3rd rail and NO trains visible at all!)

I shall hereby SKY+ it tonight to see if they make the same mistake :)

6Gman

Established Member
On the local news at Lunchtime they had a guy on P14 at Manchester Piccadilly saying we were getting two more platforms so that "trains didn't need to stop at Piccadilly"
To be fair he continued ...

"but can pass through"

Would have been better if he'd said "will not have to terminate, but can travel on without reversing" or similar.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The bit that annoyed me was the "but passengers will have to pay for it" ...

Well, who else should pay for it?

Squaddie

Oh, for goodness' sake...

He was at St. Pancras station, which is where the Midland Main Line starts. It makes absolutely no difference that there wasn't an MML train in shot.

Oswyntail

Established Member
....How many more times do we have to endure basic mistakes like this being made by the BBC?
Anyone who has ever seen a news story in any medium about anything in which they are expert will have seen "howlers" like these. There could be any number of reasons - in this case from using stock footage to (as EM2 has said) requests from the relevant company. Not confined to the BBC. But the question is surely "Does it detract from the news item conveying the news?" Usual answer "Not in the slightest".

fgwrich

Established Member
Don't forget the modernisation of the Glous Warks / Replacement of First Gen stock / Chicken Curve & Electrification on the 1 o clock news...

I know the BBC is good at using archive footage, but now making use of preserved railways too?

Attachments

• BBC Toddington.jpg
    BBC Toddington.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 129

table38

Established Member
On the local news at Lunchtime they had a guy on P14 at Manchester Piccadilly saying we were getting two more platforms so that "trains didn't need to stop at Piccadilly" :)

Heh, they just repeated the OB, he actually said:

One of the big improvements will be here at Manchester Piccadilly. What they want to do is build two more of these platforms, which allow trains not to stop here, but to go through and connect to the rest of the region

As for the new rail link between Manchester Piccadilly and Victoria, no problems with access to the MOSI after all!

piccvicc.jpg

nwt.jpg

fgwrich

Established Member
Anyone who has ever seen a news story in any medium about anything in which they are expert will have seen "howlers" like these. There could be any number of reasons - in this case from using stock footage to (as EM2 has said) requests from the relevant company. Not confined to the BBC. But the question is surely "Does it detract from the news item conveying the news?" Usual answer "Not in the slightest".

Oh i agree, but you do get some bizarre footage appearing some times - BBC South was until reccently using archive footage of slammers, and still uses Barbie Adelantes / HSTs from time to time.

CC 72100

Established Member
Don't forget the modernisation of the Glous Warks / Replacement of First Gen stock / Chicken Curve & Electrification on the 1 o clock news...

I know the BBC is good at using archive footage, but now making use of preserved railways too?

My first thought on that one too!

At least today they didn't try and get peoples' hopes up by showing images of pacers when talking about which trains would be replaced by diesels.

Also tickled me how the female presenter was adamant for a little while that the reporting and Cameron & Clegg was in London St Pancras... well, maybe I'm the only one who's never seen a London Midland 323 that far South then!

(They did finally say that the reporting was in Smethick - much more believable!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh i agree, but you do get some bizarre footage appearing some times - BBC South was until reccently using archive footage of slammers, and still uses Barbie Adelantes / HSTs from time to time.

Spotlight (BBC news in Devon & Cornwall) still uses a HST in Barbie but mainly white body (so not full Barbie livery) for travel news.

Last edited:

lancastrian

Another two faux-pas for the BBC.

Over the weekend, following talk of the MML electrification, a series of shots was used to illustrate the MML at Sheffield.
The problem - Virtually all of the views from the one minute or so sequence were of Pacers coming and going from Sheffield station - we only got a couple of glimpses of Meridian stock sitting in the platforms.

Well I agree with all the comments here, Yes I suppose even though they used the wrong platforms at St Pancras, it is true the MML starts there. BUT can't the BBC at least make some effort at getting things right concerning railways. From previous viewing of BBC News items concerning Railway News, to my knowledge I have never seen them get it right once. I make no claim to have seen all BBC Railway News Items, but its not to hard to actually get a least one expert, there must be some rail enthusiasts working at the BBC, just one would do, to check these things and get them right.

To me all it shows is that they are going for the cheapest option and dont really care about railway News Items.

Just my personbal view.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Spot on.

The cynic in me would suggest that you can't trust anything in the news, because whenever there's an article about something I know a lot about it's invariably "less than perfect", so can I assume that stories about other things are equally "iffy"?

But there would be complaints if the BBC had sent people out just to get a picture of the "right" train - almost nobody would notice - in the way that I doubt many people complain when their bus turns up that it wasn't the AY bodied Leyland Leopard that you tend to see on the bus stop :lol:

Electrostar

This morning, prior to the Cameron-Clegg press conference, a Sky News reporter stood at Leicester station sounded positively pleased to tell viewers that passengers from said station would continue to use existing stock post-electrification because it wasn't old enough to be replaced. I don't know much about Leicester or the Midland mainline but I thought it was in the hands of class 222s or possibly HSTs. Hmm.

LE Greys

Established Member
Since when did accuracy matter to news outlets?

Mark Twain said:
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Not for the last century and a half at least.

Personally, I'm more concerned that they were finding something to complain about (supposed cost rises) rather than allowing this good news story be what it is, good news. How about a report from a copper wire factory suggesting that they will have to hire new staff if they get the contract? Or maybe an engineering company saying how this will keep them in business for years if they are lucky?

Darandio

Established Member

The wires are going to Sheffield. The sequence was of Sheffield.

What the hell does it matter what stock is shown?

It only bothers people like yourself, the rest who watched the news wouldn't give two hoots.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always wonder though when they send someone out to do a report ''on location'' what it actually adds to the content or quality? I mean what did the guy standing at St Pancakes station on the news today actually know compared to someone sitting in the studio?

LE Greys

Established Member
I always wonder though when they send someone out to do a report ''on location'' what it actually adds to the content or quality? I mean what did the guy standing at St Pancakes station on the news today actually know compared to someone sitting in the studio?

Possibly planning to do some vox-pops with passengers, but either people were too busy or they didn't get any useable material.

tbtc

Veteran Member

It's a bit like having the reporter standing outside the Home Office/ 10 Downing Street/ Old Trafford to illustrate a story that they could easily be reported from the TV studio. A complete waste of time, but it's what we seem to "expect" now.

LE Greys

Established Member
It's a bit like having the reporter standing outside the Home Office/ 10 Downing Street/ Old Trafford to illustrate a story that they could easily be reported from the TV studio. A complete waste of time, but it's what we seem to "expect" now.

It would probably save costs to 'blue-screen' them into place, but it seems the public don't like that. There must be some advantage in having someone on the ground outside, just in case something happens, maybe somebody emerges to give a surprise interview.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Times had a lovely picture of a class 47 hauling a rake of green Mk 1's to illustrate the forthcoming improvements this morning :D

Schnellzug

Established Member
Oh, An £800m electrification and upgrade from Sheffield to Bedford, completing the full electrification of the Midland Main Line
Electrification extended from Cardiff to Swansea, costing £600m, plus electrification of the Welsh valley lines.
Well, I'm always the last to know. Well, jolly good.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I guess that one of the problems is that you have to pitch your reports at multiple levels. You and I know that the PM is based at No 10, who he is, and a lot of the background to any story. But there will be those who know nothing of all that - so they have to have the explanatory bits and pictures - and a whole spectrum of viewers between and beyond those two levels. SO, given that TV has a V in eh title, how do you illustrate things appealingly to all parties?

Status
Not open for further replies.