• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC: Sunday trading law suspension bid for Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Sunday trading law suspension bid for Olympics

Sunday trading laws are expected to be suspended by the government on eight weekends from 22 July during the Olympics and Paralympics.

In his Budget, George Osborne is set to propose emergency legislation so large shops in England and Wales can trade for more than six hours.

He told the BBC it would be a "great shame" if Britain had a "closed for business" sign on it during the Games.

But campaign group Keep Sunday Special called the plan "profoundly worrying".

And shopworkers' union Usdaw warned its members "vehemently opposed" the idea.

But ministers hope to see the proposal passed by Easter.

On BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show, Mr Osborne said: "We've got the whole world coming to London and the rest of the country for the Olympics.

"It would be a great shame - particularly when some of the big Olympic events are on Sunday - if the country had a closed for business sign on it."

We've been through this before (see here). As was generally agreed in that thread, I don't see why we can't just do away with these silly Sunday restrictions like they have in Scotland - simply because a few uptight religious types want a day to themselves <(

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Slightly related;

Will there still be a 'sunday service' on LU/LO/DLR/NR in London during the olympics?

SS4

Established Member
We've been through this before (see here). As was generally agreed in that thread, I don't see why we can't just do away with these silly Sunday restrictions like they have in Scotland - simply because a few uptight religious types want a day to themselves <(

Seconded, surely it would create jobs too although I still think for the most part public transport would need to be improved in some places

Schnellzug

Established Member
Oh, I'm getting so bored with "We've got the whole world coming to London and the rest of the country for the Olympics." Why the *&^!!£!$! is the Government only interested in doing anything for the !"*£!" Olympics; what they're effectively saying is "We don't care a stuff about anyone who actually lives here all year round, just as long as we can Look Good in the Eyes of the World". Why not think about the people who (some of them) elected you, rather the rest of the stuffing world?

* Oh dear, I suppose I'll be called a Bore again for not being enthusiastic about the Olympics again. Well, tough.

Captain Chaos

Totally agree with you Ivo. Hopefully this will help create jobs, not only in the retail sector but possibly even in the transport sector too. If Sunday trading laws are relaxed I can imagine Sunday being an extremely popular day for shoppers everywhere and I'm sure the Rail and Bus companies would be keen to profit from the potential extra custom.

I have always found it odd that we have a 6-hour trading rule in place. It's not really that large a window and I have always found Sunday a frustrating time to shop, yet it is also the one day of the week when I am most keen to hit the shops.

I think that launching this throughout the Olympic and Paralympic period is an excellent idea. All those people who have been able to afford tickets to the Olympic games are probably not going to be short of a penny or two. It would be silly not to take up such an opportunity.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't see why it should only be for the Olympics - either it is done permanently or it isn't.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I don't see why it should only be for the Olympics - either it is done permanently or it isn't.

I think the answer is most likely that if it is successful over the Olympics (and the Church doesn't kick up too much of a fuss) then it may be allowed to continue. I don't hold up too much hope for that though.

Captain Chaos

I think it's worth a shot. Sure it may be only for the Olympics at the moment but the Olympics seems to be the most suitable time for trialling it I feel. As ralphchadkirk says hopefully the church doesn't kick up too much of a fuss...

bnm

Established Member
Nice idea, but only if you've got the public transport to go with it. Lots of places, including some large towns have little or no Sunday bus provision, with what is available geared to the current 6 hours trading.

Then there's the trains. Expect Commie Bob to have a word or three to say about increased Sunday train provision....

VTPreston_Tez

I was in Preston centre today and all the shops were closed nice and early!
During the 8 weeks, Sunday trading hours must not go ahead, it will be a disaster for Britain and Cameron isn't stupid enough to keep these hours going, for any major 2012 event (Preston Guild, Preston Olympic Ceremonies, Preston Games (I know, what) London Olympics and everything else that will cross a Sunday)

seiryuu

I find it ridiculous that we still have any Sunday trading restrictions whatsoever. If we're meant to be such an open and diverse country, then surely religion shouldn't influence how much a hard working business owner earns over the weekend.:|

Of course for the larger shops i can see it being hell if any permanent change comes into place, with staff all needing new contracts and such.

Oracle

Established Member
Are shops allowed to be open on Sundays in Scotland?

My daughter works for Tescos and has for some years. When she worked in the cafe on a Sunday, punters were allowed in a 9 to visit the cafe but until they introduced 'browsing' at 9.30, punters were barred from enterinng the shop. Those who were not in the know used to complain bitterly that a) it said 'Open 24 Hours' on the signs, even though it also said 10.00-16.00 on Sundays, and b) that they were not allowed to shop before 10. When it was closed Easter Sunday there was incredulity.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whilst many posters on this thread have made reference to church and general religious objections, can someone confirm to me if the trades union that covers shopkeepers who employ their union members has also made it known that the union is also against this proposal to protect the rights of their members, as I see not one mention of this other side of the spectrum of objectors.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Slightly related;

Will there still be a 'sunday service' on LU/LO/DLR/NR in London during the olympics?

No - a special service will be running 7 days a week during the Olympics period :)

Ivo

Established Member
Are shops allowed to be open on Sundays in Scotland?

My daughter works for Tescos and has for some years. When she worked in the cafe on a Sunday, punters were allowed in a 9 to visit the cafe but until they introduced 'browsing' at 9.30, punters were barred from enterinng the shop. Those who were not in the know used to complain bitterly that a) it said 'Open 24 Hours' on the signs, even though it also said 10.00-16.00 on Sundays, and b) that they were not allowed to shop before 10. When it was closed Easter Sunday there was incredulity.

Unless something has changed Sunday trading is permitted in Scotland on a permanent basis. Some stores are open 24/7 up there.

Whilst many posters on this thread have made reference to church and general religious objections, can someone confirm to me if the trades union that covers shopkeepers who employ their union members has also made it known that the union is also against this proposal to protect the rights of their members, as I see not one mention of this other side of the spectrum of objectors.

That's what Unions do though isn't it - what is best for their bosses members, and not what is best for the country. And that is part of the reason I disagree with almost all strike action (another obvious reason being both Unions and strikes are often aligned with pro-Labour rubbish).

No - a special service will be running 7 days a week during the Olympics period :)

As it should be - not that it would make much difference on LUL (not considering engineering works).

Will the Waterloo & City be open on Sundays during that time?

Yew

Established Member
I struggle to see how unions would complain at 18 more hours of staffing needed for every roll in the store.

From what I can tell of UsDAW, they only care for current members and not future ones. Hence why I don't get double time on bank holidays.

ushawk

Established Member
Good idea and its good it can be trialled out through the Olympics - works in Scotland so why cant it work South of the border ?

Oswyntail

Established Member
I've no objection really. But let's do it for everyone. Anyone know any industries where Sunday working is treated as very special?

Ivo

Established Member
I've no objection really. But let's do it for everyone.

Unless I am seriously mistaken, you are a Christian. If you can be perfectly happy to accept the idea, why do all these other pressure groups - many of whom have religious intents or backgrounds - feel the need to complain about everything? Oh yes - because they are representing what they think everyone wants without actually confirming the validity of their belief first. They are effectively the NIMBYs of the retail world - "Not In My Back Yard [on a Sunday anyway]"...

Anyone know any industries where Sunday working is treated as very special?

Let me think about that :lol:

David

Established Member
From what I can tell of UsDAW, they only care for current members and not future ones. Hence why I don't get double time on bank holidays.

I've found USDAW to be a fair union, trying to reach agreement by negotiation as the priority, with strike action being very much the last resort, as it leads to mis-trust on both sides.

Ivo

Established Member
I've found USDAW to be a fair union, trying to reach agreement by negotiation as the priority, with strike action being very much the last resort, as it leads to mis-trust on both sides.

Crow and co. could learn a thing or two from those guys :p

Butts

Veteran Member
The Unions and Church will have a very poor case if they attempt to claim the lifting of Sunday Trading Laws in England and Wales will somehow undermine the moral fabric of society.

If this is the case ask them what they are doing in Scotland to attempt to repeal the unfettered trading that takes place here on Sundays.

Answer F**K All

I rest my case :p

David

Established Member
Well, I can only comment as an outsider looking in*, but the RMT appear to be a more militant type of union, threatening industrial action to get the best deal they can for their members.

While trying to get the best deal they can is no bad thing, threatening to ballot their members on strike action because a TOC has only offered a 2% pay rise is going a bit OTT in my opinion, especially when workers in just about every other sector are having to put up with a pay freeze.

* Disclaimer - I am aware that most of the time, only half the story gets reported. This post just represents my opinion.

Barn

Established Member
The Unions and Church will have a very poor case if they attempt to claim the lifting of Sunday Trading Laws in England and Wales will somehow undermine the moral fabric of society.

If this is the case ask them what they are doing in Scotland to attempt to repeal the unfettered trading that takes place here on Sundays.

Answer F**K All

I rest my case :p

I'm not sure how well it would go down in Scotland if the Church of England started campaigning on political developments!!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think the answer is most likely that if it is successful over the Olympics (and the Church doesn't kick up too much of a fuss) then it may be allowed to continue. I don't hold up too much hope for that though.

If you are religious, you should be doing your religious things and not tempted to sin by going shopping if God doesn't want you to.

If you're not, you can do whatever you want!

I really do wish the church would butt out of things like this. People can still choose not to shop on a Sunday (or Saturday, or Tuesday morning, or Wednesday afternoon etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.