• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC to attempt to relaunch Top Gear again

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejuggler

Just watched tonight's and of real interest to me was the Rolls Royce Cullinan review as a few hours earlier I actually saw one.

I could have written the review. It was in the distance when I saw it and I thought it was the new electric London taxi!

I then caught it up at a roundabout. It was black with a bright orange leather interior, driven by someone who looked like a wannabe gangster. He then floored it and disappeared into the distance.

I really hope RR didn't envisage him as their typical advert for the brand.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
I stumbled across it today, same old script, same old story- switched channel.

whhistle

On Moderation
I'm not someone who aims to watch it and I have no interest in cars really.
I do find messing about entertaining though.

I think after the weirdness of Joey from Friends / Chris Evans eras, they have got a winning team with the new presenters. It'll still take a few years to gel properly but I'd be interested to see if it's more successful than The Grand Tour, which apparently has completly bombed.

Not quite true. The old programme had a section of car news + all 3 presenters gave car reviews of a sort. The new programme has no car news and only Chris Harris seems to do any car reviews.
Maybe they've realised nobody cares about £30,000/£40,000+ cars that few will actually buy?
People watch it to be entertained, not for a serious review programme.

That said, I wouldn't mind them reviewing normal cars that people are likely to buy instead of these stupidly fast supercars that less than 100 will ever be made.

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
Maybe they've realised nobody cares about £30,000/£40,000 cars that few will actually buy?
People watch it to be entertained, not for a serious review programme.

£30,00/£40,000 cars few will actually buy? What era are you from? :E:E

It is called TOP Gear so you'd expect them to review the best.

westv

Established Member
They used to laugh about giving consumer advice. It wasn't a car show, it was a cocking about show.
Who said anything about "consumer advice"? I watch the programme to see great cars reviewed that I would aspire to own not necessarily what I would own.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Who said anything about "consumer advice"? I watch the programme to see great cars reviewed that I would aspire to own not necessarily what I would own.

They dont review cars! They tell you how fast a Lamborghini tortilla will get from 0-60 and whether, or not, it can best a Ferrari internatizonale over a quarter mile drag race. They then take the lambo and show how pointless it is on the road. They then give it to a racing driver to see how fast it can go

I maintain: it is a show for 3 blokes to cock about and is aimed at teenaged boys and man childs

westv

Established Member
They dont review cars! They tell you how fast a Lamborghini tortilla will get from 0-60 and whether, or not, it can best a Ferrari internatizonale over a quarter mile drag race. They then take the lambo and show how pointless it is on the road. They then give it to a racing driver to see how fast it can go

s
Isn't that all you need anyway, that and a look at the interior?
You don't even get to see the "power lap" anymore.

whhistle

On Moderation
£30,00/£40,000 cars few will actually buy? What era are you from? :E:E
To be fair, I did probably phrase that badly.
Anyone who pays more than that price for a car is wasting their money IMO.
I doubt many will ever buy a car at the £30,000+ mark.

cactustwirly

Established Member
To be fair, I did probably phrase that badly.
Anyone who pays more than that price for a car is wasting their money IMO.
I doubt many will ever buy a car at the £30,000+ mark.

Haha, I completely disagree, a £30,000 is a huge step above a £20,000 one!
But then if you get the right one, it should last ages, 100,000+ with no real problems

Mountain Man

I'd be interested to see if it's more successful than The Grand Tour, which apparently has completly bombed.
Actually it smashed records and has been a huge success.

Its impact in generating Prime subscriptions has been massive.

whhistle

On Moderation
Haha, I completely disagree, a £30,000 is a huge step above a £20,000 one!
But then if you get the right one, it should last ages, 100,000+ with no real problems
Yet my £5000 second hand Ford has fit 146,000 with no major problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.