BBC Trainspotting Live

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Traveloguer, 1 Jul 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nowinaminute

nowinaminute Member

I was quoting snow lol

2. Philip Phlopp

Philip Phlopp Established Member

The standard BBC4 should be aiming for is the pair of BR documentaries that Channel 4's 'Equinox' program produced in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

'Running to Time' which charts the development of the Class 91 'Electra' locomotive is just sublime (and by god does it give plenty of juicy material to discuss in the British Rail thread running in this sub-forum).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvsIYaRmRAM

'Trouble on the Line' is another, a more general program about British Rail crumbling and about to collapse. Roger Ford takes a starring role, as do a couple of other experts - Richard Hope and Mike Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJfaKKVS5Hc

I know such documentaries are now deeply unfashionable, but these were documentaries which everybody from school kids through to BR drivers, guards and managers learned from.

3. 43096

43096 Established Member

I understand the pairing of 43002 with world record holder 43159 and diagramming onto that train were as a result of orders from the top!

4. Harbornite

Harbornite Established Member

I've seen electra a few times, good stuff.

5. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

6. Dennis

Dennis Established Member

Blimey - what a froth-fest!

Gutted when they cut away from the 37 at Carlisle just as it was about to depart - utter stupidity, the sound (and maybe clag) is surely what will excite 'trainspotters' more than most of rather ordinary stuff being shown.

Think PS needs to engage brain before speaking sometimes, "Dick spotting" had me in stitches.

Looking forward to the excitement of spotting a 442 tomorrow.

7. Harbornite

"Duff class 66"

I get what the sun is trying to say, but that will annoy some people on here! Reminds me of the viz trainspotter ads.

8. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

There have been some weird choices like 66's, 43's ad 37's idling. A close up of the wheels of a Black 5 coasting. Don't know about you folks but it is the noise that does it for me. And starting off a section about the HST with film of an APT was a bit of a gaff. Ha ha. Still, lots of fun. No dick spotting in Doncaster tonight though.

9. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Member

Believe it or not there's some of us who prefer to do pure sound as opposed to video. You can record the sound even if you can't see what's making it. And try sticking a DVD in your car's CD player. Nice to see a sound recordist given a bit of air time. There's many aspects to this railway hobby malarkey, sound recording is just one.

10. Scott M

Scott M Member

If they had started with just the likes of HSTs, they would be accused on here of only giving attention to the more well-known and exciting locos to appeal to casuals, yet when they show things like class 66s they are, surprisingly, pilloried on here for giving too much attention to a less flashy class. Definitely a lose-lose for them with that respect.

I think it's a good programme, definitely something different to what is normally on TV. Could be improved but it is only episode 2 of a new concept.

I feel it appeals to both casuals and rail enthusiasts, just not to hardcore enthusiasts who have their own very specific niches of interest, and are both able to spot and unwilling to ignore every minor factual error. You tend to find that though - a bit like when a science graduate is unable to watch a sci-fi movie as they can't accept the factual errors.

Regarding that Sun article, I don't really care if the footage is old, I am just happy they are trying to appeal to us. I would have liked that video just as much if it was shot last year, today or in a year's time.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2016
  11. Scouse77

Scouse77 Member

All it needs now is for Kris Akibusi to appear and shout awooga at Class 66's

12. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Veteran Member

Though Snow did say "Well spotted, Dick!" at the end! In any case, spotting those (in the pejorative sense) in Doncaster would be like shooting fish in a barrel... ;)

After yesterday's show, I was on the one hand glad it was a bit different to the recent East Coast and FGW documentaries, which were very formulaic. On the other hand I was cringing so much that I almost gave myself a hernia. Peter Snow has always been a boorish and pompous (rhymes with "farce", appropriately) and all the presenters seem nervous and prone to Spoonerisms. Dr. Fry seemed particularly uncomfortable in front of the camera tonight. The bit with that young lass who worked on the steam locomotives was a nice feature, but I felt bad for the young spotter put on the spot (no pun intended!) by the hilariously named Dick Strawbridge at Swindon who got all tongue tied.

And another thing, I can't be the only member of this forum that has literally never heard the term "ghosties"?

Can I...? ;)

13. Haig paxton

Haig paxton Member

That Dick Strawberry is just too loud and doesn't give his guests enough time to speak. Tim Dunn seems like the most excitable guy on tv, obviously totally into trains, miniature villages too it seems. Good tv and i'm glad to watch.

14. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

It seems the story, now on their website, originated from posts in this very thread...

15. me123

me123 Established Member

Hi Rupert Murdoch :D

Serious question to any Sun "journalists" who happen to be reading - with all that is happening in the country and the world today do you really think the grumblings of a few rail enthusiasts are front page news?
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    You'd better believe us "trainsportters" are "eagle-eyed". More "eagle-eyed" than your own sub-editors it seems. ;)
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    The Heil's got hold of the story as well.

This show's done absolute wonders for the perception of enthusiasts in the wider community, as you can see.

16. 2HAP

2HAP Member

Am I the only one that thinks the programme is biased. Haven't seen anything running on the third rail yet. :(

17. Buspilot

Buspilot Member

Tonight you should.

18. dave87016

dave87016 Established Member

For me I applaud the idea and what they are trying to achieve , but again for me its like Top Gear it needs a fresh overhaul of faces not dick strawbridge or Peter Snow , if it was a real genuine rail enthusiast who knew what he was doing then it would have more appeal , i have no doubt that Mr Strawbridge would get excited at watching paint dry !!!

19. FGW_DID

FGW_DID Established Member

Seen this morning at Didcot:

6203 King Eddy II in light steam ;) ;) :lol:

Attached Files:

20. Harbornite

Indeed I also felt a bit sorry for that spotter called Thomas because he made the 155 cockup and will now most likely be lynched by his fellow gricers.

Moving on, ghosties is also new to me, although some spotters smell as if they've been dead for a number of years.

21. David57

David57 Member

Never heard of Ghosties either...

The map that they keep sticking pins in clearly includes Northern Ireland, I wonder when we will see anything about NIR?
    I doubt it!

22. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Which were a work of genius!

23. TheNewNo2

TheNewNo2 Member

The concept is good, but the execution was lacking. It reminded me of pre-school programming with all the fake excitement and pabulum those have. I didn't watch the second episode. Quite honestly it made me embarrassed to be a trainspotter.

24. LAX54

LAX54 Established Member

and the busiest rail port in the UK at Felixstowe seems not to exist !

25. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

Wouldn't it be John Fashanu? :-?

26. Harbornite

Indeed, I often think of them and a google search reveals that they have been discussed on here. They are rather accurate for some of the more... unusual spotters.

27. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Yes, they could do with the full network map, rather than the stylised ones.

28. talldave

talldave Established Member

It seems pointless it being "live" at all really, since 95% of video of trains is pre-recorded.

29. richieb1971

richieb1971 Established Member

As someone who donated most of ep2's pre-recorded footage I can actually state that I warned the production company that some of my footage of the GWR was pre-electrification and that "Those in the know" would be able to tell its old footage.

They did not use the footage I gave them on that occasion. The shot of the HST at Basildon in the rain was mine though.

I also spent a few minutes talking about what IS a class 43, and what was not.

I'm surprised they dug up archive footage of the APT and showed that.

As for the delivery convoy of 66's, even Peter Snow was confused why so many locos were in the same train. "Delivery" he's thinking.. "What? Right now" :roll:

30. 38Cto15E

38Cto15E Member

Peter Snow is embarrassing, a total lack of knowledge such as he mixed up the Black 5 and LNER K class up early doors.
    I am sure when told the prog was featuring the HST that the very first clip was the original tilting electric train, Inter City 140 or whatever it's short lived name was.
    Unfortuantely Dick lives up to his name as well in Railway terms.

On BBC4 about 4 weeks ago there was a one hour railway programme which was fabulous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.