• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[BBC] Virgin fights for rail route deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Imagine Arriva Cross Country.. (sayin that please DON'T!!!)

They can't even run any of their trains between Aberystwyth & Birmingham New Street on time, and usually end up being caped at Wolves.

Judging what Last has done with Wessex Trains, I'd hate to see them in control of Voyagers..

Then I'd be against XC.. (But not the Voyagers themselves offcourse)

I just get very *****d off at VT's plans off removing the XC service north of Crewe to Preston/Glasgow/Edinburgh/Aberdeen., just because the 221s are going to be used to/from Euston & Wales.

Which one makes more sense?

Voyagers running Bournemouth/Plymouth towards Brum, and Preston/Glasgow, or:

Euston to Crewe/Llandudno/Holyhead?

Thinking about it more, why doesn't VWC leave their services at todays frequency, avoiding the need for more 390s, and in turn 221s for the Welsh coast?

Anyway..

If I want to travel from Preston to Bristol when the new franchise starts, would be able to get a WC 390 towards Crewe?

If it's going to be a mess-up i may have to contemplate a long car journey.. :s

CallySleeper

Established Member
^^^^^
I would say Preston, but I do North Wales reasonably regularly and know it back-to-front so I'm going to say more NWML services from Virgin wouldn't go down badly :D

Anyways, even though there won't be a direct service, and a change will be required at Birmingham, Stafford or Crewe (VWC will run Birmingham - Wolverhampton - Stafford then north to fill the gap left by XC) - at least there are still Pendolinos from WC - which are still way better than anything else running that line.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
^^^^^
I would say Preston, but I do North Wales reasonably regularly and know it back-to-front so I'm going to say more NWML services from Virgin wouldn't go down badly :D

Anyways, even though there won't be a direct service, and a change will be required at Birmingham, Stafford or Crewe (VWC will run Birmingham - Wolverhampton - Stafford then north to fill the gap left by XC) - at least there are still Pendolinos from WC - which are still way better than anything else running that line.

If Pendos are running Preston to Brum, it'll be far BETTER :D! I just love travelling on 390s in FC, because it's very quiet, and you don't get those sh*t boxes. I also love the VWC FC bagels. I got 4 of them (instead of 2) on a Brum to Watford Pendo once because it was so quiet.

devon_metro

Established Member
What have first done with Wessex? As a local i have seen better stock (158s), cheaper CDRs, quite large reductions! The new timetable isn't the best but i wouldn't call the new franchise bad.

T

Tom

Yeah - they've improved your area for negativity in ours!!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
What have first done with Wessex? As a local i have seen better stock (158s), cheaper CDRs, quite large reductions! The new timetable isn't the best but i wouldn't call the new franchise bad.

When I was speaking to a FGW female conductor on a 150+153 combo last month, she said that FGW are expecting more 143s running services. At the time i was on a Cardiff/Bristol to Taunton service.

I must admit I didn't have to suffer any 143s whilst i was in Somerset last time, but i was just lucky with the one from Bristol being a 150+153 combo, and the return one had come from Weymouth (a 150), which I doubt sees any 143s. (But I don't actually know if it does or doesn't tbh)

devon_metro

Established Member
Ah yes, 143s meant to go on Paignton-exmouth-barny.

How the hell that would last i do not know. 1 Door per carriage. Less seats, trains packed at rush hour and they are a health risk. I have seen a video of the bounce near exmouth. MY GOD!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Ah yes, 143s meant to go on Paignton-exmouth-barny.

How the hell that would last i do not know. 1 Door per carriage. Less seats, trains packed at rush hour and they are a health risk. I have seen a video of the bounce near exmouth. MY GOD!

I forgot to say that one got down to Penzance a few months ago (for the first ever time) I think it was doing a Cardiff/Bristol to Penzance service and return :oops: (!!!!!) I'm happy to say no others have been that far though. Why can't the Dawlish/Teignmouth waves break & destroy 143s, instead of nice Voyagers and Super Voyagers?

I often book myself on the 15:28 Bristol Temple M to Carlisle when i go to Highbridge/Weston-Super-Mare. That way i know the train from Penzance will at least be a 150, normally a 158.

Status
Not open for further replies.