• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC4: The Golden Age of Steam Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael769

Established Member
I cannot find anything on their website for this yet :

The Golden Age of Steam Railways
On: BBC 4 10th December 2012 at 9PM

Small is Beautiful
Two-part documentary telling the remarkable story of a band of visionaries who rescued some of the little narrow gauge railways that once served Britain's industries. These small railways and the steam engines that ran on them were once the driving force of Britain's mines, quarries, factories and docks. Then, as they disappeared after 1945, volunteers set to work to bring the lines and the steam engines back to life and started a movement which spread throughout the world. Their home movies tell the story of how they helped millions reconnect with a past they thought had gone forever.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Birdbrain

Enjoyed the programme, very interesting as I didn't know much about narrow gauge.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, a very interesting programme that gave a taste of the early days of preservation. Also a nice historical context.

PFX

I found it hugely informative. I'm looking forward to the standard gauge version next week.

Have to say, some of the track condition in those early days was hairy as was the complete lack of H&S madness. Kids jumping off moving trains, men running across tracks in front of trains...

RPM

Established Member
I really enjoyed the programme. Despite a handful of minor bloopers it was well researched and put together. The highlight for me was seeing quite a lot of my father's FR deviation cine film including a shot of my mother riding a trolley through Rhosllyn cutting! He hadn't told me that he had supplied archive footage.:roll:

Tracked

Established Member
I'm not that familiar with Narrow Gauge, but that was a fantastic program last night, though I don't think Health and Safety would've appreciated it :lol:

A trip to wales may happen next year

aylesbury

Enjoyed seeing the Tallyn film again ,well worth watchng as commentary very laconic and summed up the early days.

fsmr

For those that missed it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p8w38/The_Golden_Age_of_Steam_Railways_Small_is_Beautiful/

Brilliant documentary, however as has been hinted at with health and safety policys today, I have to say that I cant see the Ffestiniog diversion being made today the way it was then on a shoestring with unpaid vounteers and saddly it probably would not be attempted outside of a commercial construction project

However i dont believe anyone was lost or seriously injured in those 10 years or more building and blasting it out.

Last edited:

RPM

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.