• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Beachy Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

First class

Established Member
Hi all -

Any locals know the best way from the nearest rail station to Beachy Head?

Ideally I'd like a nice slow paced walk through scenic areas from a station if practical.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi first class, best way is to get a train into the town centre then there is a bus that is every hour to beachy head or if you walk along the coast, you will get to a footpath which leads up the mountain to beachy head, I did this trip about a month ago

First class

Established Member
Thanks.

Doesn't look as accessible as I imagined.

Can see why people go though...

BlythPower

Don't do it! Ring the Samaritans! ;)

Unless of course you really are going there to jump off, in which replace ;) with :cry: and definitely don't do it...

ushawk

Established Member
Eastbourne is closest, its an hourly bus (which runs along the road at the top of the cliffs) which now runs on Sundays only (13X - ran by Brighton and Hove).

On a sunny and clear day, the views you can get from up there are brilliant and its incredibly peaceful up there. Theres a decent pub/restaurant there as well.

EDIT - If you do want to walk the steep hill up to Beachy Head instead of catching the bus directly up there, the number 3 bus stops at the "Foot of Beachy Head" and runs every 20 minutes from the Town Centre/Station.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Hi first class, best way is to get a train into the town centre then there is a bus that is every hour to beachy head or if you walk along the coast, you will get to a footpath which leads up the mountain to beachy head, I did this trip about a month ago

"Mountain"? Hardly. LOL

I would just follow the South Downs Way. You might even become tempted to walk other parts of it, or even the whole thing; it's very nice.

I've got a walk planned in that area, from Seaford to Eastbourne, along the Seven Sisters; about 14 miles.

bangor-toad

Hi there,
How much do you want to walk?

If you want to just have a short walk around then get the bus up to Beachy Head (as per the details already given)

If you want a medium walk you can get one of the far more frequent buses to East Dean, then walk down to Birling Gap and the onto Beachy Head.

If you fancy a long walk then you can do the South Downs way along the coast. You can walk up to Beachy Head, along to Birling Gap, over the Seven Sisters (big chalk hills!) to the River Arun. From there you can get the bus or continue the walk to Seaford.
You can then get the train from Seaford.

If you're fit and have the time then I'd really recommend the long walk. It's been a few years since I did it but it really is good.
Oh, Pub/refreshments are available at Beachy Head, Birling Gap and by the River Arun bridge

Cheers,
Jason

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
In a similar way to BlythPower, I automatically thought "oh no, why the hell does he want to know?" :o Don't go alone, people will question your intentions... :D

Pete2210

If you fancy a long walk then you can do the South Downs way along the coast. You can walk up to Beachy Head, along to Birling Gap, over the Seven Sisters (big chalk hills!) to the River Arun. From there you can get the bus or continue the walk to Seaford.
You can then get the train from Seaford.

Jason,

Once over the Seven Sisters it's the River Cuckmere you come to, then a gentle walk to Exceat for the No. 12 bus to either Eastbourne or Seaford. The Arun is a tad further on!

I did do a one day walk from Southease & Rodmell to Eastbourne via the inland route in mist and fog apart from Alfriston and Jevington where it was clear!

Pete

bangor-toad

Once over the Seven Sisters it's the River Cuckmere you come to, then a gentle walk to Exceat for the No. 12 bus to either Eastbourne or Seaford. The Arun is a tad further on!

D'oh!
That's a fair point - I really should have engaged the brain or at least looked at the map before typing!
Note to self. Remember your rivers a bit better!

Cheers,
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.