• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Beasts

Which sounds better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

16CSVT2700

Established Member
<( <( <(

As much as I'd love to argue.. I'm not going to, but they do not sound like a messed up 47!

metrocammel

Now I have to vote for 86/87's. Though I don't think its right putting the 86's & 87's together, as they sound completely different! 86's make a "droning" sound, and I always remember when a 86 arrived / departed Liverpool Street, as the sound resounded through the station. As for when they were moving, they weren't that loud, and didnt scream as much as sevens. Sevens on the other-hand werent that lound when going slow, and did not "drone", but made a pleasant humming sound. . . . but when they were moving it was another story.... .that wonderful screaming sound.... It was heaven..... I dont know what it was exactly, but I know 86's didnt really make it. As for 90's, I assume it is to do with the Thyristor that they dont make much sound....?, but I still rate 90's, though obviosly not as much as the sixes or seven's!

James.

Sprog

Established Member
he he :lol:

I love the way everyones linking to my videos! :D 8)

They are all hellfire TBH, but i just dont think that you can cross compare a leccy with a deisel.

AlexS

Established Member
Try an 87 on a 10 coach Mk3 set in peak time. That was some major screeching.

As for leccies are quite argument, the 81-85s weren't called Roarers for no reason!

86s and 87s have always been a part of my life, whereas 60s haven't, and it's the leccies that I will miss and remember forever when they are gone.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
86242 said:
AJP said:
sorry edited :P

Well it still does not beat a HELLFIRE 86 or 87.

But I think every here will admit a 37 sounds the best...

Umm, your memory can't be too hot, I clearly specified recently in a post that this was not the case.

OK, let's be fair. I ranked the locos, not by sound though. Still, my Top Three stands in audible rankings too. So 43s come out top, 60s second, 37s third.

So no, I will NOT admit a 37 sounds the best. A 43 with a right royal Thrashmaster is difficult to beat. 43003 on that 0328 from Swansea that morning... :shock: . 60032 on light engine moves out of Godfrey Road a short time ago... :shock:

RJ

Established Member
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Techniquest

Veteran Member
AlexS said:
I could say something about your tastes Julian, but I'm too polite :)

Nice to know...I suppose you like what you grow up with, so HSTs and 60s, yeah, that's me alright.

spm_43030, MY LORDZ! That's a bit of a sight!

Sprog

Established Member
I would have said 'HELLFIRE' :!: , but its more like 'ON-FIRE'! :lol: :roll:

ROFL <D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AJP

Defo the 50's but not a very fare comparrison as the 60's were moving at speed while the 50s were just powering up. 8)

devon_metro

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
2006_0122barrytrip10134.jpg

GOD!!!!!! <D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow! that's...... AMAZING! A clagging 158. 43012 + 43024 win it for me. They clag like mad even when sitting in the station.

*looks at avatar*

AlexS

Established Member
It's not amazing, I would bet my bottom dollar that the constituent sets of that 158967 are Perkins 158s, because they are the worst in terms of reliability and general condition. ATW, Wessex and Central Trains units with Perkins engines all suffer from slightly dodgier reliability than the standard units.

Julian G

Established Member
A 159 can clag properly
You should see it leaving Clapham Junction (London bound) :P :P :P

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What a sound on that 43 sound there Richard! HELLFIRE!

Good 60 sound too, although it would awesome to record it starting up or moving off...That's a beast of a sound, to catch the former is seriously worthwhile!

My PC doesn't like playing anything visual , probably something to do with the graphics card misbehaving, so the 37 file doesn't play too well. Nice to see my face out of the MK2 window though!

EDIT: Your file of 60001 comes up with 'Not Found'. :cry:

richa2002

Established Member
Thanks for the kind comments. The clip is recorded from 43167. An absolute beast :P
Which one is you on the 37 video ?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Julian G said:
A 159 can clag properly
You should see it leaving Clapham Junction (London bound) :P :P :P

I've heard a pair of them roar storming through Clapham Junction, but that's nothing compared to what a 50 or 43 would be like through the station...!

Status
Not open for further replies.