• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Beasts

Which sounds better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
I don't really think 86s/87s sound better but they have a real classic sound about them which I will always remember.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Impossible to judge. Totally different 'beasts'.

Being originally from close to the WCML, Class 86s/87s are special to me, so I can't vote against them, and yes the sound is something I have found memories of.

But it's hard to say they sound "better" than a Class 60, as 60s do sound good. It's more a case of I miss the sound of 86s/87s :cry:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've tipped the balance in favour of 60s. In case it wasn't obvious judging by my thoughts posted elsewhere on the forum.

86s and 87s, well their noise, for lack of a better term, will be missed by me, but I don't have much experience of them, so it's less of a concern for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did a 90 from Crewe to Liverpool that one time, never got to do it again! But 390s taking over the WCML isn't the biggest deal in the world for me. No HSTs on the WCML on the other hand...

60s for me I see a lot, what with MUCH spotting and tripping around the country to see them. I find their noise, again for lack of a better term, to have much more depth to it, very recognisable from a distance, the exhaust output is certainly rateable, and they just look good. They're also some of the last BR-built locos left on freight, something 2 years ago I never imagined would happen so soon.

Basically, when the 60s go, I WILL be upset, because they won't be anything rateable on freight here any more. They're my second favourite locomotive as well, so to lose them will be disappointing, more so as I've yet to have or see a 60 for haulage on a passenger train.

Jim

Established Member
60 off course. Much nicer to hear "Chug, Chug, Chug"

Jordy

Established Member
Hard to judge, I really liked the 87s and 86s and agree with this really

Richard Armstrong said:
I don't really think 86s/87s sound better but they have a real classic sound about them which I will always remember.

Jordy

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FGWFan said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did a 90 from Crewe to Liverpool .
90s sound very different, but you did an 87 from Liverpool to Crewe (the rest of us stayed on to Nuneaton or beyond).

Sprog

Established Member
Bit of a bad poll really. Leccys vs. Deisel.

Cant choose. 87s are powerfull little blighters, but they dont really make alot of noise - just the sound from their traction motor blowers and maybe some more 'whining' when under power.

As for the 60s, well, when under power they sound quite..well...monotonius. They do 'chug' under power - depending on load etc, but they also tend to splutter a touch when accelerating from a standing start. Tugs are nice machines, but in terms of tracvtive effort, they are beaten by 59s. They are monstors! and they sound wonderfull under power. (completly differant enigines to '66s'.)

However, in terms of noise and smoke, Give me a 56 anyday! 8)
icon_hellfire.gif

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
yorkie said:
FGWFan said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did a 90 from Crewe to Liverpool .
90s sound very different, but you did an 87 from Liverpool to Crewe (the rest of us stayed on to Nuneaton or beyond).

90s do sounds nothing like 87s but there is a differance between an 86 and 87 if you listen closely. 90s are far lower pitched than a 'proper AC' it will it interesting to know what 87101 sounded like...

Sprog

Established Member
86242 said:
spm_43030 said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5247956719381169597&q=Tom+Hampson

muwhahahahahahahaaaaa!
icon_hellfire.gif
icon_hellfire.gif
icon_hellfire.gif

BORING :lol: sounds just like a HST :lol:

:( :( :lol: :lol:

Got more guts though! 16 cylinders, not 12 ;) ;)

Only sounds like a HST cus of the napier turbo charger! ;) 8)

spm_43030 said:
:( :( :lol: :lol:

Got mre guts though! 16 cylinders, not 12 ;) ;)

Only sounds like a HST cus of the napier turbo charger! ;) 8)

But nothing beats the 'scream' of a 87 screaming up the Treat Valley or over Shap at 110mph apart from the 37/4s ;)

I heard 87026 screaming past Stafford on a mail in December which was the first time I had heard one moving at that sort of speed for some time and I forgot how great one sounds ;)

Sprog

Established Member
86242 said:
I heard 87026 screaming past Stafford on a mail in December which was the first time I had heard one moving at that sort of speed for some time and I forgot how great one sounds ;)

True, true...but its only a leccy!!! *BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

spm_43030 said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2723744306821482519&q=Tom+Hampson

eh, eh!!? Hows that for ya!

Shame she didnt climb shap on that day, but MY LODRZ! ( :lol: ) The S&C!!! 8) That day was.....*shudders in pleasure!*

Westerns - well they mean nothing to me (I was born to late! :cry: ) there just presevered things now that have no economic resoan to still be around...

Sprog

Established Member
86242 said:
spm_43030 said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2723744306821482519&q=Tom+Hampson

eh, eh!!? Hows that for ya!

Shame she didnt climb shap on that day, but MY LODRZ! ( :lol: ) The S&C!!! 8) That day was.....*shudders in pleasure!*

Westerns - well they mean nothing to me (I was born to late! :cry: ) there just presevered things now that have no economic resoan to still be around...

I know..tis a shame :( , but they where a vital part of the WR fleet for many years. Just a shame BR didnt look after them better. Still, 'Champ' is a credit to its owners. Its in for overhaul this year (and apparently a repaint!!), so im gonna miss her, but im glad i travelled behind her in 'golden orche'. When shes ready (later this year app.) Ill be on the cushions of her first tour - thats a promise -. I was never around to see the westerns in service either, but take a trip behind a 1000 and i garuntee, youll be hooked! :D :D :D :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Too right! Bashing D1013 on the SVR diesel gala, I knew I was in for a treat, but MY LORDZ!!! HELLFIRE! :shock: :D

Never bashed D1015 yet though, it was OOU due to a breakdown the day before. :cry:

Oh, and I wasn't around for the Westerns when they were in their prime either, but now I've experienced one, albeit at pretty low speed, I want a high-speed mainline run behind one! I don't mind what livery it's in when I do it, D1015 is MINE for haulage as soon as possible!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Next time they do a tour/charter and they're booked to run Mainline reading to slough.. DO IT!!! Hellfire thrash along the Twyford Racetrack, especially after a signal check and crossover onto the mains from the reliefs, the sound reverberating around sonning cutting = :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.