• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Beat the anti Hs2 mob at their own game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
So, rather than answer questions from a responder to your blog you anally, and with your usual style of playing the man rather than the ball, pick apart one point about the cost of one part of a massively over-budget, poorly planned, very late, project. A project that still doesn't match the original intention to deliver a 140mph railway.

But because the Trent Valley four tracking may have come in on budget you want to highlight it as an example of all that is good with large railway projects?

TV4 was nowhere near on time though. The second lot of TWAO's were submitted in 2003 following Railtrack's demise. The June 2003 SRA review of the WCML modernisation project projected TV4 would be completed by December 2007. It was brought into use in September 2008.

So yes it was late. Porkies being told by both sides it seems.

Harbon 1

The whole west coast upgrade was late and over budget.

We were supposed to have 140mph running but it was too expensive.

Hs2 will arrive on time, on budget, and not cut back in any way, shape or form, and will benefit the economy. Yeah :roll:

Snapper

Established Member
TV4 was nowhere near on time though. The second lot of TWAO's were submitted in 2003 following Railtrack's demise. The June 2003 SRA review of the WCML modernisation project projected TV4 would be completed by December 2007. It was brought into use in September 2008.

Untrue. The 2003 review set 3 delivery phases. Phase 3 was due to be complete by December 2008. TV4 was well within that. NRs 2006 biz plan makes it clear TV4 was timed for 2008,

www.networkrail.co.uk/.../3116_Route_2018_WCML.pdf

This is also confirmed by the NAO report into the WCRM modernisation.

The SRAs 2003 review merely lists a provisional date of 2007 for TV4 & stresses it's just that - provisional.

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/SRA_WCMLStrat2003.pdf

Last edited:

NSEFAN

Established Member
Harbon 1 said:
The whole west coast upgrade was late and over budget.

We were supposed to have 140mph running but it was too expensive.

Hs2 will arrive on time, on budget, and not cut back in any way, shape or form, and will benefit the economy. Yeah :roll:
To be fair, it was late and overbudget because Railtrack were cowboys and tried to sell an untested technology, then implement it on a working railway and expect everything to be fine and dandy. When building a line from scratch it should be much easier to do a proper job and get it right first time, without risk of disrupting the current mainline.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is anyone within the anti HS2 group using the WCML fiasco to argue against HS2 on the basis of it being a total disaster? And, what, suggest the money is spent on upgrading existing lines instead of building a standalone line?

Tell me that isn't true as it would he hilarious for its irony.

Snapper

Established Member
Is anyone within the anti HS2 group using the WCML fiasco to argue against HS2 on the basis of it being a total disaster? And, what, suggest the money is spent on upgrading existing lines instead of building a standalone line?

It is true. But then the anti Hs2 mob have shown all along that they don't 'do' irony...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/SRA_WCMLStrat2003.pdf

" ...an earlier completion for the December 2007 timetable should be practicable."

Turns out it wasn't practicable. In 2003 SRA in consultation with NR said it was practicable to finish by December 2007. In 2006 Network Rail said December 2008. What is that if not a delay or project creep?

It's called confirming your plans in the light of events & setting a firm timetable rather than a provisional one when you've finalised the scope of the work to be done & let the contracts to do it.. And that contract timetable was met.

If you want to find an example of that then you need look no further than the "Quality journalism from Stop HS2" thread and read the linked PDF article taken straight off the STOP HS2 website.

Snapper

Established Member
Oops! UKIP's parliamentary candidate for Aylesbury who's tweeted lots of rubbish about Hs2 gets exposed by the Sunday Times for fiddling his Twitter followers https://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/ukip-the-anti-hs2-mob-are-at-it-again/

What is it about UKIP & exaggerated numbers? If it's not Romanians, it's...
New blog on Hs2 written on a Voyager from Manc to Brum - a good example of why we need Hs2!

https://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/02/10/a-good-example-of-the-need-for-hs2/
My blog on the latest lies from Joe Rukin & Stop Hs2 https://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/02/13/70/

route:oxford

Established Member
People do love bandwagons. I'm on another forum where a local councillor and someone standing to be a councillor have suddenly taken interest in a mobile phone transmitter (lamp post type) that recently got upgraded. The thing is, the pole was already there and it's just another cabinet that was put in. Both are saying it shouldn't be allowed and trying to get local support to campaign against the council and O2. Of course, their agenda is to get voted in, knowing full well that a) the work has already been approved and in fact done and b) it's not something a council even has the power to stop.

Having looked at the site, I'd even add c) in that it isn't very big and doesn't block or spoil any views.

Nevertheless, lots of people are seeing these guys as heroes wanting to take on the evil phone companies and it has been suggested that the residents living near it should be given compensation!

A similar thing in Oxford in January...

A Liberal Democrat Councillor was posing sour-faced in The Oxford Times complaining about poor mobile phone signals affecting both herself and local businesses.

Someone managed to find a previous story with her pictured arms folded and looking worried at the "dangerous" mobile phone transmitter that had been installed in the community...

Those of you who know of my support for the Hs2 project, follow my blog (& who enjoy the odd ode) may enjoy this from a friend: https://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/02/16/an-ode-to-joe-rukin/

Thanks Paul that made me chuckle :lol:
The anti Hs2 mob can't help telling porkies. See their latest replies to my blog: https://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2...-hs2-campaign-fantasists-who-are-well-suited/

Now the Trent Valley 4 tracking was late & over budget apparently...

Wow you have got more comments on your blog than the Stop HS2 website has had in months. Seriously though the Stop HS2 website used to get up to 30 comments on some of the daily blogs/articles posted now they lucky to get one or two comments. (I wonder if that has something to do with the change to the new website design last year or became as you suggest the captain is failing with only a few diehards carrying on?)

Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
Wow you have got more comments on your blog than the Stop HS2 website has had in months. Seriously though the Stop HS2 website used to get up to 30 comments on some of the daily blogs/articles posted now they lucky to get one or two comments. (I wonder if that has something to do with the change to the new website design last year or became as you suggest the captain is failing with only a few diehards carrying on?)

Any comment I posted on stophs2 obviously didn't pass their "moderation" as it wasn't a positive comment towards their campaign or it was correcting one of the many lies. It would appear they apply their own form of censorship so that only comments that are positive to their campaign see the light of day. That's probably why they don't get many now apart from the die-hards

Snapper

Established Member
Any comment I posted on stophs2 obviously didn't pass their "moderation" as it wasn't a positive comment towards their campaign or it was correcting one of the many lies. It would appear they apply their own form of censorship so that only comments that are positive to their campaign see the light of day. That's probably why they don't get many now apart from the die-hards

Quite. Over the years there's been quite a few rail professionals, knowledgeable enthusiasts & journo's who've tried to post unbiased info & set the record straight. None of the comments have lasted 5 minutes.
Here's my latest blog which exposes the lies Joe Rukin & Stophs2 have told about 'cuts'.It also contains a link to the slides Prof McNaughton presented to the High Speed Committee;

https://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/more-on-the-rukin-rumpus-with-added-slides/

Voglitz

Why not post the comments that didn't "pass moderation" here.

pablo

Here's my latest blog which exposes the lies Joe Rukin & Stophs2 have told about 'cuts'.It also contains a link to the slides Prof McNaughton presented to the High Speed Committee;

https://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/more-on-the-rukin-rumpus-with-added-slides/

Whilst I have no sympathy for JR, there is, in fact, a mistake in those slides that the Select Committe lapped up.
My interest is in the Chester service. Presently it stops at Crewe and Rugby or MK, not Nuneaton as depicted.
In 2026 it looks like it's converted to a stopper all the way down the Trent Valley which encourages me to change to HS2 at Crewe. We don't know what the layout there will be yet and how convenient such a hop will be. A change there is tedious enough at present. An HS2 station at Basford Hall will not be convenient; so I see a 'cut' in service as a consequence of HS2 Ph1 opening (assuming Crewe opens at the same time as Ph1).

Geezertronic

Established Member
Why not post the comments that didn't "pass moderation" here.

I generally do if others have not posted them. Generally the contributors and content of posts on this forum are far more knowledgeable than me and is where I get a lot of my information from

basically Joe Rukin could post on stophs2 that the colour of grass is blue and I post an entry to correct him but the moderation team wouldn't allow that comment to be viewed because it goes against what Joe has written :)

Status
Not open for further replies.