• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Beattock Summit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristoE444

Hello All,

I am planning a visit to Beattock Summit with a view to getting some photos. I have never been there before and was hoping members may be able to give me some advice regarding the route, parking and best location to take some shots.

Thanks in advance

Christoe

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Hello All,

I am planning a visit to Beattock Summit with a view to getting some photos. I have never been there before and was hoping members may be able to give me some advice regarding the route, parking and best location to take some shots.

Thanks in advance

Christoe

Hello there :)

I live near here so I should be able to assist you!

Beattock and Abington are lovely scenic areas on the WCML north with a massive potential for very good shots!

One place I could recommend is a bridge over the WCML directly south of Beattock Goods Loops. There is a long, sharp piece of left-hand curvature to the immediate south and Beattock Goods Loops slightly to the north! Parking is easy enough and is located off-road, but I wouldn't recommend doing this on a weekday, as the ground can be very soggy and your car may become very dirty as you try to leave! The access is located on a quiet public road near the SSE Clyde Wind Farm.

I have attached 3 photographs that I have previously taken from this bridge as well, so you can get an idea of what the photography potential is at this site! One is the north view with no trains, and the others are of Virgin Pendolino's tilting on the north curve!

If you want any other site ideas in this area feel free to message me or post below and I will be happy to help :)

Attachments

• DSCF3386.jpg
    DSCF3386.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF3387.jpg
    DSCF3387.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF3399.jpg
    DSCF3399.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 17

ChristoE444

Hi Huntergreed,
Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at Google maps and I think I know where you mean. I am probably going to take a run along there next week. I will let you know how I got along. Thanks again and no doubt I will be back to pick your brains again.

Cheers

Christoe

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Hi Huntergreed,
Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at Google maps and I think I know where you mean. I am probably going to take a run along there next week. I will let you know how I got along. Thanks again and no doubt I will be back to pick your brains again.

Cheers

Christoe

Nae bother!

I've attached a screenshot of the location on google maps, just to make sure we're on the same page!

That's fine! If you have any questions, please just ask :)

Attachments

• IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4477.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.