• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

robby p

I worked for London Underground as station staff for 2 years and I was also a special constable at the time so had some idea of railway but on a different scale.

I doubt i could even manage 12 pints of stella let alone work 12 hours later, I was just trying to show off, lol

I started driving with my minder in may so I wasn't noticing all these young ladies on the platform but i'm sure next year will be tough!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chuffchuff

I doubt i could even manage 12 pints of stella let alone work 12 hours later
Good way to lose your job that is, as you will be still be
TWICE the car drink drive limit, never mind the railway one

So all you thinking of joining the railway, if you do have 12 pints
of Strong Lager. You'll need nearly a day and a half before you can
go back to work and be alcohol free

This has been a Public Service Announcement from the Bring A
Bottle Party :D

Good! thats got this months sensible post out the way. Back to
usual now :lol:

TDK

Established Member
I might have to disagree with that, I started training as a driver at 21, I am 22 now and have just passed out so will be driving by myself next week. I would have to say it's a great job for my social life, I get three days off a week and every 4 weeks I get a 5 day long weekend off. I never have to go to bed that early but I supose that is helped by conditions which mean the ealiest I sign on in 0500. even if I do start that early I finish early and have the whole day to myself. As for alcohol, I know every company has different guidelines but 24 hours? An average adult male can clear 12 pints of stella in that amount of time! We're advised 8 to 12 hours before any shift. I'm not a major enthusiast but have always been interested in the railways, it helped through training that I was actualy interested about learning about the railway, although I would agree an enthusiast could get dangerously distracted whilst out driving!

If you drank 12 pints of stella at 5.3% alcohol by volume the guidlines would say for an average man it would take between 28and 36hours to rid your system, with that sort of alcohol briefing mate and you do try to drink 12 pints of stella you will have a short railway career. The average beer (3% ABV) is 2 units and it is 1 hour a unit to be on the safe side so 6 pints of the weak stuff is 12 hours in my book. I don't know what D & A brifing you had training but if they told you this it is a poor briefing

the sniper

Established Member
I worked for London Underground as station staff for 2 years and I was also a special constable at the time so had some idea of railway but on a different scale.

Ah, thanks. I'm looking to follow a similar path. Were you a Special with the BTP? Also, did you have to give up being a Special because you became a driver?

robby p

:DI was SC for essex police at the time but I would say it was a great help in getting the drivers job. Driver training did sort of put it on hold but I gave it up really for personal reasons and the fact I policed in my local town although I would seriously consider joining BTP. I must admit it is hard actually getting the drivers job when your only 21 as I found myself having to try my hardest to convince everyone I was a responsible person. Being a special helped prove that I think.
If you want to know anything in more detail or chat bout anything just pm me anytime.

Like I said tdk I couldn't handle 12 pints, im not a big drinker :D
I do take the D&A policy seriously, I just think the policy sounds scarier than it is, I mean getting the train drivers job means everything to me, i'd never and I doubt anyone else would come close to disregarding the policy.
I'm newish to the forum so please forgive my trying to be cockyness :oops:

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
:DI was SC for essex police at the time but I would say it was a great help in getting the drivers job. Driver training did sort of put it on hold but I gave it up really for personal reasons and the fact I policed in my local town although I would seriously consider joining BTP. I must admit it is hard actually getting the drivers job when your only 21 as I found myself having to try my hardest to convince everyone I was a responsible person. Being a special helped prove that I think.
If you want to know anything in more detail or chat bout anything just pm me anytime.

Like I said tdk I couldn't handle 12 pints, im not a big drinker :D
I do take the D&A policy seriously, I just think the policy sounds scarier than it is, I mean getting the train drivers job means everything to me, i'd never and I doubt anyone else would come close to disregarding the policy.
I'm newish to the forum so please forgive my trying to be cockyness :oops:

No problem mate, the D & A policy is probably the most important within any safety critical grade and it is pleasing to know it is taken seriously, myself, I will not have a drink (serious drink) 36 hours before booking on to ensure I am on the safe side,I have been randomly tested on 4 occasions and for cause tested once and on all occasions blew 0mg.

the sniper

Established Member

Thanks Robby. :smile:

sabawild

Hi, i am working in railways and want to go for train drivers test. Would any one please let me know where to find tests required to become a driver. Thanks

ungreat

The online ones are not good
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Personally,I think the secondman grade should be introduced for drivers..5 years as a secondman or 500 turns up front and then test your knowledge..worked for most plus you get a railwayman,not some idiot who has frig all railway experience

Albert

Hi All

I know that if you fail the trainee driver assessment twice, then forget about a career as a train driver, but what happens in the scenario when you pass the assessment twice and then are unsuccessful at interview or the company you have applied to decides it no longer needs anyone?

To sum up can you take the assessment multiple times, as long as you pass them?

455driver

Veteran Member
Basic answer is YES, you can pass the assessments as many times as you want, if you FAIL twice then its end of story.

Some people fail on the mechanical (or another additional part) which would otherwise be a pass with another company, now THAT is unfair.

tagzy

Hi everyone,

I am interested in becoming a driver and read the guide linked on here plus most of the posts on this forum which has been very helpful. I just have a few questions;

1. What is recruitment like across the TOCs? Do they recruit often or is it more like once or twice a year? And do they take on a batch of drivers at once as part of a campaign or do they recruit as and when individual vacancies arise?

2. I also read if you fail the assessments twice then you will never be a driver. Is this just the exam part? And what is a typical % of people that fail?

3. Can you join Network Rail if you have no rail or engineering background? (Say as a trainee or whatever the entry level role is).

Thanks everyone.

GB

Established Member
1 - There is no standard across the board. TOCs and FOCs will advertise and recruit as and when needed.

2 - This is true and I believe it includes every element of the assessment day. Not sure what the failure or pass rate is though.

3 - Yes

tagzy

Thanks for that GB. Just out of interest what would an entry level role in Network Rail involve? Just been on the site but can't see anything I'd be suitable for.

GB

Established Member
Your Welcome

RE: Network Rail

I suppose it depends which area you want to get into. But I guess Pway/track maintainence for the engineering side and crossing keeper/low level signaller for the operations side. Not sure about the S&T but I'd imagine you would need some prior knowledge of that area to begin with?

tempests1

Hi everyone,

I am interested in becoming a driver and read the guide linked on here plus most of the posts on this forum which has been very helpful. I just have a few questions;

1. What is recruitment like across the TOCs? Do they recruit often or is it more like once or twice a year? And do they take on a batch of drivers at once as part of a campaign or do they recruit as and when individual vacancies arise?

2. I also read if you fail the assessments twice then you will never be a driver. Is this just the exam part? And what is a typical % of people that fail?

3. Can you join Network Rail if you have no rail or engineering background? (Say as a trainee or whatever the entry level role is).

Thanks everyone.

Hello & Welcome
I dont know your location, but I spotted the following on the NWR Website

Job Title Station Support Assistant

Location London, GB

Department Name Operations and Customer Services
£19,500 with the London allowance on top of that

tagzy

Thanks for that Tempests1, I will apply for that.

I live in Birmingham but I am willing to commute (maybe even move - that's up to the girlfriend though!). I have applied for Revenue Protection Officer with Virgin Trains at London Euston which is the most convenient London location as a service from New St goes directly there.

the sniper

Established Member
The thing you need to bear in mind Tagzy is that for many/most railway jobs you'll be expected to get to work using your own mode of transport, i.e. you can't be reliant on public transport, including trains.

TDK

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone.

1. Recruitment is by demand, TOC's have to take a pecentage of driver "off the street" or from different grades. At the moment there isn't a lot of recruitment, sometimes it may be 10 drivers or just 2.

2. The pecentage pass rate is about 2%, so only 2 out of every 100 applicants will get the job, it is only the tests that if you fail twice means you can not re-apply, if you pass the tests and fail the interview generally you can re-apply as many times as you like.

3. Don't know

tagzy

Thanks TDK

Sniper, I never actually thought of that! But I do have my own car so I would be willing to drive and a move to London is not off the cards as me and my girlfriend can just up and move and the job prospects for her would be better in London anyway.

gogeeez

hi all, i have got test after 1 week in national express, can any one help me please about the test. or where from can i get prepration metarials.

notadriver

Established Member
hi all, i have got test after 1 week in national express, can any one help me please about the test. or where from can i get prepration metarials.

Where is the position you are applying for and where do you drive buses?

Edward111

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone.

Its sounds like SAS selection.

HST Power

Established Member

This book is very good and worth your money. It contains advice, how to do your CV, how to do the interviews well and even a good selection of training material.

It's called How2Become a Train Driver and is currently £9.98. Good luck with your tests!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Become-Train-Driver-How2become/dp/1907558004

387star

On Moderation
I have that book I and I agree a great buy. The book also puts it how it is so you know what your up against whilst offering support and very useful guidance