• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dot2018

In part 3 of tea-occ (combined tones/directory) are the tones less frequent than in part 1?

Dynamonic

In part 3 of tea-occ (combined tones/directory) are the tones less frequent than in part 1?

Hi there,

They’re about the same if I remember correctly.

Don’t get yourself too worked up for this test. It’s not nearly as bad as it may sound.
It’ll make perfect sense on the day. :)

Good luck buddy!

Last edited:

Dot2018

Hi there,

They’re about the same if I remember correctly.

Don’t get yourself too worked up for this test. It’s not nearly as bad as it may sound.
It’ll make perfect sense on the day. :)

Good luck buddy!
Thanks. Just gathering information. No panic :P

Dynamonic

Morning, does anybody have knowledge were to possibly print out the dots test.

Hi there wickedhigh,

There is link to a Group Bourdon Tool in the ‘Group Bourdon Tool’ thread below.

If you download that tool, you will have the option to print off practice sheets with that.

Dot2018

My OPC email says I'm doing the following interviews:
  • Structured Interview
  • Manager interview
I know the first one is the CBI (also known an MMI?). What is the second one? Is this the 'DMI'?

Last edited:

PB89

Can anybody give me any advice or tips on DFFT please? Heard very contrasting stories about this test.

Thanks.

GMT

My OPC email says I'm doing the following interviews:
  • Structured Interview
  • Manager interview
I know the first one is the CBI (also known an MMI?). What is the second one? Is this the 'DMI'?

The second one should be the DMI (Driver Manager Interview).

GMT

Can anybody give me any advice or tips on DFFT please? Heard very contrasting stories about this test.

Thanks.
The TOC you applied for will send you the DFFT (Driver Fault Finding Test) practice material via email as an attachment along with all the other practice materials regarding all the other test. You should do it after all the paper tests (therefore after a break) and before the computer based ones, at least with GTR. I can't remember precisely how long it lasts for; I think mine lasted either 20 minutes or half an hour. I may be wrong but for sure it's not something lasting an hour. It can be tricky but it's not that complicated though, it's logical. Usually, it's part of the assessment of TOCs requiring an enhanced pass, if I'm not wrong.

Pastieman

Evening all I applied for a trainee driving post !!! Got given an online questionaire assessment to fill out !!! In which I failed it ????

Even a friend of mine had never seen this test and he is already employed as a trainee driver and he had shown it to co workers that are drivers and they never seen it !!!! So I was walking into something with no advice !!!

With the questions that were asked it looked like a character profile building task but I thought I answered the question in a way that would be good for the role !!! Obviously not !!

Anyone else had this assessment ?????

Dot2018

Evening all I applied for a trainee driving post !!! Got given an online questionaire assessment to fill out !!! In which I failed it ????

Even a friend of mine had never seen this test and he is already employed as a trainee driver and he had shown it to co workers that are drivers and they never seen it !!!! So I was walking into something with no advice !!!

With the questions that were asked it looked like a character profile building task but I thought I answered the question in a way that would be good for the role !!! Obviously not !!

It sounds to me like you are talking about a Situational Judgement Exercise. These are common as part of the first stage of the recruitment process.
I took one of these with Virgin recently and instantly received an automated email saying I'd failed it.
A few days later I received another email saying there was an error and that they'd accidentally failed me and was put through to the next stage.

Pastieman

It sounds to me like you are talking about a Situational Judgement Exercise. These are common as part of the first stage of the recruitment process.
I took one of these with Virgin recently and instantly received an automated email saying I'd failed it.
A few days later I received another email saying there was an error and that they'd accidentally failed me and was put through to the next stage.

It was pretty straight forward questions, knowledge about the company and 6 case study questions

Quite disappointed as it seemed quite harsh to fail from this !!!!

Chanelle25

Hiya,

Assuming you are referring to the Train Operator Role part-time? I also applied for that which I completed the online application form and SJT but not heard anything yet due to the volume of applications received. It's difficult to know the benchmark required to pass the SJT.......

1812_s

with regards to 2 strike rule for driver assesment

If you failed once before but didnt reach the mmi/dmi stage

on your 2nd attempt does that mean you only have 1 chance with the mmi/dmi aswell ?

Dynamonic

with regards to 2 strike rule for driver assesment

If you failed once before but didnt reach the mmi/dmi stage

on your 2nd attempt does that mean you only have 1 chance with the mmi/dmi aswell ?

Hi 1812_s,

The two strike rule applies to all OPC Driver Assessments, including the MMI. However, it doesn't apply to the DMI (Which isn't an OPC assessment).
So if you have already used a life previously in any other tests, then you will only have one attempt at the MMI.

Hope this helps, and good luck if you're about to go through the tests. :)

1812_s

Hi 1812_s,

The two strike rule applies to all OPC Driver Assessments, including the MMI. However, it doesn't apply to the DMI (Which isn't an OPC assessment).
So if you have already used a life previously in any other tests, then you will only have one attempt at the MMI.

Hope this helps, and good luck if you're about to go through the tests. :)
thanks

rakoczigabi

Hi all :)
Today is a great day. After failing my 2nd hand coordination test in last May , today I was able to re take all 3 computerised Test.
I’ve practiced a lot ( bought the material in dvds ) and felt better then first time but still wasn’t sure if it’s enoigh. But did pass at the end :)
Now just need to wait for my interview. The first should be the DMI and then the MMI.
Where can I find the best practice material for them ?
Also recruitment told me because I failed once I only have 1 chance on the interviews , so need to pass both in one go.
No too sure why but I’ve thought I’ll have my 2 goes back after the assessments. But never mind I’ll give my best.
Also in last May there was an SWT thread but can’t seem to find it anymore. Anyone could link it in ?
I’ve applied to be a main line driver in Basingstoke.
Thanks.

GMT

Today is a great day. After failing my 2nd hand coordination test in last May , today I was able to re take all 3 computerised Test.
I’ve practiced a lot ( bought the material in dvds ) and felt better then first time but still wasn’t sure if it’s enoigh. But did pass at the end :)
Now just need to wait for my interview. The first should be the DMI and then the MMI.
Also recruitment told me because I failed once I only have 1 chance on the interviews , so need to pass both in one go.
No too sure why but I’ve thought I’ll have my 2 goes back after the assessments. But never mind I’ll give my best.
Also in last May there was an SWT thread but can’t seem to find it anymore. Anyone could link it in ?
Thanks.

The one below?

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/swr-trainee-drivers-at-staines-woking-and-waterloo.155487/

Thanks.

Well done... I did my assessment day about 9 weeks ago for the Basingstoke trainee driver recruitment and I'm waiting a date for the DMI so you may have plenty of time to practice! A chap who also passed his assessment on the day I did had his DMI a week or so ago and unfortunately didn't make it through.

There aren't really any practice materials for the DMI as they are competency based questions - e.g. give me an example when you had to work alone for a long period of time and so on. If you search this forum you'll find plenty of questions that could be asked. I compiled a list of them - if you want a copy let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

AFAIK the DMI doesn't count towards any of your chances, so if you fail it you'll be OK to take it again

1812_s

Thanks.

Congrats, be sure to post DMI/MMI questions up here if you remember them when the time comes