1. 125Group forum donation: see here!

Becoming a train driver

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Thornaby, 30 Apr 2008.

1. GJL9916

GJL9916 Member

That's really useful, nice post Mike

2. Craciun Marian

Craciun Marian New Member

hey all i whant to
    Becoming a train driver !! wher i found the link to apply thank you !!

3. Cyclist

Cyclist Member

You will have to improve your spelling and formatting if you want to get through the sift of any trainee driver job. Search the career websites of any company that operates near you.

4. SMR

SMR Member

Couldnt agree more with cyclist. From what I'm led to believe the sifting process takes consideration of grammer.

5. SMR

SMR Member

*grammar

6. BrokenRailway

BrokenRailway Member

I’m looking to become a trainee train driver how would I

7. Cyclist

Cyclist Member

Check the careers website of every company you are interested in.

8. Drh78

Drh78 Member

I have a question.

If you apply to become a train driver, but you live just outside the 60 minute timeframe for commuting to work, would it be a straight ‘No’? I’m talking just a few minutes outside the 60.

Also, if you tell them you are willing to relocate, how would that work if they were willing to offer you the job?
    Would they expect you to move home before being offered the job? Concern there is if you did, what happens if they change their mind and no longer have a job to offer you?
    Or would they take you on and expect you to move closer at some point?

Thanks for reading.

9. 387star

387star Established Member

I think it is becoming harder and harder to relocate or to apply outside a tight distance criteria

Not many TOCS even allow an hours commute

I think London is always an exception due to the better transport links and ludicrously expensive cost of living

10. Cyclist

Cyclist Member

Crossrail declined me and although they never state reasoning I believe it was because I ticked “no” when asked if I lived within 60 mins. Was probably done automatically by a computer tbh.

11. BrokenRailway

BrokenRailway Member

I want to work for Thameslink

12. martin2345uk

martin2345uk Established Member

Keep checking their careers site then. They’re currently recruiting for Cambridge if that’s any good...

13. Drh78

Drh78 Member

What would happen if a fully qualified driver decided to move house and it was just outside his/her TOC’s 60 minute commute policy?

14. 387star

387star Established Member

If just outside probably not an issue anyway

An hour by by train is very different to an hour driving depends on depot shift times too and if you can do swaps to allow yourself to come in later if no train?

Driving home is far more exhausting

However some prefer to remove themselves from the work environment. On a crowded train you should give up your seat and may feel obliged to assist with any issues particularly on a DOO train

15. xtradj

xtradj Member

Hahaa

Last edited: 2 Sep 2018
  16. Nicolae f

Nicolae f New Member

Yes I am very interested I really like this type of role

17. Gidion

Gidion New Member

Hi all, I've just posted this in another forum (atw trainee driver) was just wondering could any of you qualified drivers shed any light?

I've applied for the cardiff depot, I was just wondering what all your thoughts are on my chances? just in one field, as I've been a HGV driver for 14 years, and looking at the criteria for the job there's a lot of similarities.
    Thanks all
    Gidion.

18. Rhia

Rhia Member

Hey this forum is very helpful. I have an assessment centre coming next week and was wondering if anybody would kindly shed any light into what to expect included at interviews it’s with south-eastern any help is appreciated as I’m really anxious to get through. thanks

19. Themob

Themob Member

Hiya, as for your chances, here's the statistic from my driving course with ATW a few years back.
    8 people on the course from 3200 applications. So the chance for an application succeeding is 0.25%

20. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

I’m assuming there was more than one single course of 8 though? This wouldn’t have made financial sense as they’d surely use the drivers they had rather than recruit a handful more? Usually TOCs runs several courses for trainees. I agree from application to appointment the odds are very much against you though as 3200 applicants is still a massive amount!

21. Themob

Themob Member

Hi Stigy.
    It was just the one course of 8 trainees., Yes , 3200 is a high amount, though It would be prudent to consider many will fail the initial application through not meeting the prerequisites,- too young, beyond travel time etc.
    Traincrew positions are at a premium and will naturally attract many.

I'd advise anyone not be put off by the number of applicants. To set the odds in my favour, I recognised the assessments are all based on natural aptitude; i.e. You can either circle clusters of 4 dots or you can't. So I concentrated on the interview competencies/company info.

22. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

I agree re the natural aptitude, it’s the interviews that obviously set you apart and give you the final opportunity to sell yourself. I’m at that stage now and mid-interview prep.

23. NitroNick

NitroNick Member

I'm in the same position having recently passed Trainee Train Driver Assessment. Slowly but surely trying to learn as much as I can about the TOC I'm applying with. Found the assessments pretty easy but I have a technical and (despite what the wife says) logical brain. Only one I didn't enjoy was the photos flashing up on screen and having to identify what was on them. Actually found the flashing square test quite relaxing.

Big career path change for me if I get position!

24. Rhia

Rhia Member

Hi would it possible for you to send me this revision.please. That would be much appreciated. I’m trying to do some last minute revision as my assessment centre is tomorrow.

25. Rhia

Rhia Member

Hey what TOC did you pass with. If you don’t mind me asking please ?

26. NitroNick

NitroNick Member

SWR however once passed my understanding is it is valid for three years on any TOC.

Was told you only get 2 attempts and if you fail first have to wait a minimum of 6 months before retrying.

27. Andrew Higgins

Andrew Higgins New Member

Any tips on the competency based questions? I had feedback previously from an interview saying my examples lacked complexity. Please help

28. martin2345uk

That poster hasn't been back to this forum since 2008, I doubt he will reply but loads of knowledgeable people on here :)

29. Andrew Higgins

Andrew Higgins New Member

Do you have any advice regarding competencies?

30. martin2345uk

Just search for the various threads on MMI on here, there are loads, they really helped me - I don't think the examples I gave were anything special but I made sure I said things like "safely", "rules", "calm", "professional" etc etc, really trying to spell out how I thought my examples related in some way to the qualities needed for being a train driver.