• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Adam Mcgregor

Thanks for the advice really appreciate it. Funny enough Freightliner is open and I did the first online test which I have passed. I also applied for Southern and passed the first stage also. Is it an issue having two applications in. Do I need to let them both know.
Thanks Adam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peeler

Thanks for the advice really appreciate it. Funny enough Freightliner is open and I did the first online test which I have passed. I also applied for Southern and passed the first stage also. Is it an issue having two applications in. Do I need to let them both know.
Thanks Adam

Not that they’ll admit it I’ve heard from a recruiter unofficially that those that apply for multiple TOCs are looked on less favourably. How they can hold it against you is a different matter. Probably wouldn’t come in to play until interview stage? They will get to know about it as most TOCs have a form you have to compete at assessment centres where you are asked to declare other applications. Where that is standard practice or not I don’t know.

Fauxbeer

Hi Everyone,

I've received the email for a phone interview with TFW for the start of next week after applying for it last summer.
After reading most of the information on the application threads, I'd just like to say thanks to all who posted invaluable stuff, links, descriptions etc.

Has anyone done a recent TFW phone interview and could you relay what was asked and how it went etc. please?

Thanks in advance
Rich.

Last edited:

Davidm07

Hi Everyone,

I've received the email for a phone interview with TFW for the start of next week after applying for it last summer.
After reading most of the information on the application threads, I'd just like to say thanks to all who posted invaluable stuff, links, descriptions etc.

Has anyone done a recent TFW phone interview and could you relay what was asked and how it went etc. please?

Thanks in advance
Rich.
Hi,
I’m in the same position as you and agree with how helpful these threads are,
I finally got through the shift and have a telephone interview next week to with TFW, I also would like any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Railwayman13

Perhaps a daft (or not) question. Has anyone ever heard of anyone failing their training? Not so much pulling out of the course or the job but literally not been shown competent at the end of their training?

S Harvey

Hi
I have an assesment morning coming up with West Midlands trains. Could I get an idea on what I’ll be doing and some tips please?

Hensby92

Hi all new member but have been viewing the page for while. Currently a conductor for Northern and I have been told yesterday I have my drivers assessments next Friday 12th April for DTD. I have downloaded the group bourdon tool, which is brilliant BTW, and was wondering if anyone can recommend any other programs and practices I could apply to improve my chance of passing.

Thanks in advance.

sandyravage

Passed the Psychometric tests yesterday. Then had to sit a MMI which lasted fully 50 minutes. Not sure how I did tbh. Question 6 which was have you ever performed a task similar to a Train Driver had been stumping me in preparation. I decided to put down my role as a guard is similar in that I perform SC tasks and have to work long shifts unsupervised. The interviewer said that's not really that similar as a Guard has interaction with customers. I said in my personal life I once trained for and competed a marathon which involved long periods of training alone. Not sure if this satisfied her or not.

Hensby92

Passed the Psychometric tests yesterday. Then had to sit a MMI which lasted fully 50 minutes. Not sure how I did tbh. Question 6 which was have you ever performed a task similar to a Train Driver had been stumping me in preparation. I decided to put down my role as a guard is similar in that I perform SC tasks and have to work long shifts unsupervised. The interviewer said that's not really that similar as a Guard has interaction with customers. I said in my personal life I once trained for and competed a marathon which involved long periods of training alone. Not sure if this satisfied her or not.

How did you find them? Anything particularly difficult you would advise revising as I have my tests next Friday. TIA

Maverick88

Hi all new member but have been viewing the page for while. Currently a conductor for Northern and I have been told yesterday I have my drivers assessments next Friday 12th April for DTD. I have downloaded the group bourdon tool, which is brilliant BTW, and was wondering if anyone can recommend any other programs and practices I could apply to improve my chance of passing.

Thanks in advance.
Practise, practise and then practise some more. I was advised to work through and to do anything BUT count the dots. Practise sheet after sheet so you become familiar with the formations, so essentially you start crossing off 'shapes' as opposed to 4 dots. Go for accuracy over haste. Hope this helps

Ashley89

Hi,

I have been reading through the threads and have noticed that some people have paid to do the psychometric test privately.

I am looking for some info on any companies that do this, areas in which they are and also the costs?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hensby92

Practise, practise and then practise some more. I was advised to work through and to do anything BUT count the dots. Practise sheet after sheet so you become familiar with the formations, so essentially you start crossing off 'shapes' as opposed to 4 dots. Go for accuracy over haste. Hope this helps

Thanks for that mate

Twotwo

Thanks for that mate

Print out the sheets and practice everyday. You will start to recognise shapes such as L and Y. Your eyes will be trained to recognised what a group of 4 dots will look like. I posted a link earlier so print it out.

Hensby92

Print out the sheets and practice everyday. You will start to recognise shapes such as L and Y. Your eyes will be trained to recognised what a group of 4 dots will look like. I posted a link earlier so print it out.

Saw that and printed last night cheers mate. Just looking for materials to practice for the other areas tested now. Thanks

truffy

Ten years down the road would be good to learn more about the kind of career prospects there are, not something I imagined being interested in but these days it actually has an appeal, do it, get good at it, something I'm considering thanks.

Peeler

On the computer version my best score is 35 rows completed with 3 omissions. Not sure how that will stand me

As others have said doing it on the computer and doing it on paper is completely different. If you know your TOC does the paper version, I wouldn’t bother with the computer version at all.

Last edited:

Railweigh

The actual test doesn’t have the variation in patterns that the one on here does, plus the spacing is different and the dots are finer. I was knocking out 12-13 lines every time, with a maximum of 1 mistake per page. In the real test I think I averaged around 10 lines.

Don’t get me wrong, the test on here really helps but don’t expect it to be identical.

S Harvey

Tuesday morning I have an assessment morning with Abellio/West Midlands trains for the role of a trainee train driver. Please could I know what to expect and maybe some tips? I’m very nervous. Thank you :)

crebbs1

Tuesday morning I have an assessment morning with Abellio/West Midlands trains for the role of a trainee train driver. Please could I know what to expect and maybe some tips? I’m very nervous. Thank you :)

Is this for the recent ad for trainees at Bletchley,

Picklebutton

Perhaps a daft (or not) question. Has anyone ever heard of anyone failing their training? Not so much pulling out of the course or the job but literally not been shown competent at the end of their training?
It does occasionally happen. Most TOCs will allow two goes at the final five day assessment, but unlike a car driving test, you don’t need to retake everything, only the part(s) you failed.

Apparently the simulator day is where 1 in 3 trainees will fail first time.

Remember though, that by the time you get to this point the TOC will want to do everything they can to get you through. An outright failure is more likely to be a result of you making safety related mistakes, or an inability to drive/behave according to the rule book. I have heard of trainees failing because they repeatedly exceeded permitted speed limits.

Railwayman13

It does occasionally happen. Most TOCs will allow two goes at the final five day assessment, but unlike a car driving test, you don’t need to retake everything, only the part(s) you failed.

Apparently the simulator day is where 1 in 3 trainees will fail first time.

Remember though, that by the time you get to this point the TOC will want to do everything they can to get you through. An outright failure is more likely to be a result of you making safety related mistakes, or an inability to drive/behave according to the rule book. I have heard of trainees failing because they repeatedly exceeded permitted speed limits.

Thanks A lot,

Yeah, given its obviously a safety critical job that's understandable. I guess its pre match nerves on my part, I got the job and start shortly and I'm excited beyond belief about it but just worry about the training aspect. Not that im not confident in my own ability or anything but its just a job that is the complete opposite of what I do at the minute but looking forward to the challenge and will embrace learning news skills and procedures etc.

crebbs1

Indeed it is for the recent ad, I too am on the assessment that morning... really nervous, it's a dream opportunity!

Interesting, haven’t heard back from the SJT yet, passed all other tests to enhanced level last year too.
When did you hear you had passed the SJT?